Echo 3450 Muffler Mod question, and J-Red 920 update

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

django

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I renamed the thread since the original title looked weird, and didn't get any responses. I would delete the thread, but I don't know how. Anyway.......

I recently picked up a like new Echo 3450. Small saw, not much "wow" factor, but I think it's pretty well built, like most Echo's. It is a two ring piston anyway..
I understand that it is a reed valve saw, which is fine with me, but I was wandering if anyone had any thoughts on the potential gains of a muffler mod? It doesn't have much power, although it has good compression and the piston looks like new. I know they aren't known for power. I don't expect it to run like my 020, but I have had a lot of success with opening up the mufflers on a lot of saws. I'll have to remove the stupid limiter caps to richen it up, but that is no big deal. Thoughts??

BTW, I finished up my J-RED 920 rebuild, including a home made velocity stack and cone filter setup to take care of that awful stock setup. and am very pleased. It's now what I would expect from 87cc of swedish power. Finally.

I also just completed a rebuild, cylinder porting (Intake and exhaust was SUPER restricted) and muffler mod on a bargain PP295 that I felt like messing with, and again, really surprised at the huge improvement. Sounds really mean too.

Back