Echo 4510 , 4910 or MS250 for "Starter Saw"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmateurSawer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need opinions on a "starter saw" for a young man. He's sawed a little under very controlled conditions but ready for the next step.
They are looking at a lighter saw than his Dad's MS290. Not that he's too young but it would be a little easier to limb with. His Dad would like a lighter saw for that, too.
I have an MS 250 as a backup saw which I've really liked and so do they. I've also looked at the Echo models since I have an Echo trimmer I really like. Great trimmer, especially for the money. Just like my MS 250 in a saw.
If you have any experience with these models, I'd like to hear your comments.
Either brand can be purchased from servicing dealers the same distance away.

Why the MS250 instead of the MS251? Either one is inboard clutch and has both Stihl and Oregon spur and rim drive choices.
When i bought mine I was looking at both. Somehow I was leaning toward the 250. When I got to the dealer, I was comparing when the counter man said, if I wanted his advice, put the 251 back and buy the 250.
I figured, since he sold both and worked on both, I should probably listen. Plus, the 250 was on sale for 50.00 less than usual. I've been happy with mine.
I won't say the 251 isn't a good saw since I've never run one.

I won't say the 251 isn't a good saw since I've never run one.
It seems the xx10 Echo are the newest models, likely stratified charge and the comparable Stihl MS250 in this thread was/is an earlier model.

I have not even seen the newer Echo models there is a shortage of some perhaps most so won't give you a suggestion but a MS261's weight is similar isn't it?

MS 261 is similar in weight. A professional grade saw rated at 4hp and 50cc. The MS 250 is around 45cc, 3.0 hp and about a half pound lighter. Not sure what MSRP is for them. Ithink it would be about 379.00 for the 250 and 650.00 plus for the 261.

I’m pretty sure the 4910 is non-strato, my 490 is non-strato. The 4510 might be, but honestly I’d go for 4910 anyway. It’s about the same price and can handle limbing and firewood duty.

My primary light middleweight is an 025 (older version of the 250)and I used the newer 250 versions also and I owned and used a new cs490. To me the ms 250 feels easier to maneuver and hold in my primary cuts and peppy and more powerful. The ms490 was a nice smoother cutting saw but to me the 250 is more efficient and easiar to hold, maneuver and work with in most situations . I hear some have been difficult starting from new so if buying 1 I would make sure it didn't have that problem while I could still take it back.
Anything heavier then an ms250 feels middle weight to me, feels like it's feels truly lightweight and less fatigueing to run then 50cc and many lesser saws.l

The ms250 handles well, has decent power and is reasonably durable, but it's far too hard to pull over (even for a grown man) for a 50cc saw, it's way overpriced for what it is, it vibrates too much, and is cheaply built overall.

there's far better quality available for the money.
really going to cry now. Its only 45.4cc.

Well, I ran my Dolmar 420 alongside two of them (also ran the ms250's). There is no comparison except in handling. The ms250 does feel good in hand, but is an overpriced pos in comparison. I also ran acouple of good and proper 50cc saws that day. Ahhh, no. For a hundred bucks used, I might be tempted..

I want to like my ms250 as its in a size range I'd like in my mix, a nice form factor. But it rarely starts and runs so I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know the Echo models mentioned but have used, like and recommend some of the smaller Echos. When I replace the ms250 it will probably be a 4910 (unless they import the 4310).

The ms250 handles well, has decent power and is reasonably durable, but it's far too hard to pull over (even for a grown man) for a 50cc saw, it's way overpriced for what it is, it vibrates too much, and is cheaply built overall. Cheaply built may be , but i have seen many in use by business's dealing in tree work out lasting many much more expensive pro models of all the major brands.

there's far better quality available for the money.
I am 63 with a lame shoulder and haven't been having issues pulling my 025 or the ms250's I have worked on. My 025 is 1 of my most used saws and while it may not be as smooth as more recent designs, I suffer no vibration fatigue or discomfort using it. Every time you post about it you say it's overpriced. Several times or more I tried buying the comprible Dolmar-Makkita models you brag about, they usually went used about 75 to $100 less then what ms250's were selling here for new. I have been very happy with the ms250, using them starting with the 025's about 1996. I would like a nice low hour Dolmar 420 or 421 if you can get 1 to my door for $200 or less. There was a time i may of went for a new 1 if it wasn't priced as high as the "over priced" ms250 which not to awful long ago sold for $329 or 349ish. I saw it at least a couple times marked down to 299. Haven't looked lately but I think they are upwards of 349 now.

Back