Echo 620 or Dolmar 6100?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been looking into these two saws for a good time now. Which do you recommend and why? I like to run a 24" bar for firewood. Don't want a 70cc saw, been there and done that. This back won't handle it for a very long period of time so I stick with 60cc. I do think about the 562 but seems to be alot of complaints about them with dependability when hot and the 362 is a pig that went backwards from the 361 so lets stay on topic with the Echo and Dolmar please.

Dolmar 6100 is my choice have 3 also have 2 CS600. Both are excellent pieces of equipment can't go wrong w/either. Big plus for 6100 is Easy Start starter kid can start it.
Shep

I like the 6100 better. It is smother, the air filtration is better , and starts super easy. The 620 is a good saw and will get tons of wood on the ground. That will need picked up.

Don't have any experience with a dolmar (wish I did) my 590 cuts great with a stihl full chisel chain and 20" bar. What mount does dolmar use? Only nit pick I have with my echo is that chains are 2 links less at 20 inches so I have to get good chains made locally. Other than that it's a very nice saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't have any experience with a dolmar (wish I did) my 590 cuts great with a stihl full chisel chain and 20" bar. What mount does dolmar use? Only nit pick I have with my echo is that chains are 2 links less at 20 inches so I have to get good chains made locally. Other than that it's a very nice saw

The 6100 uses the k095 mount. Pretty easy to get almost everywhere except a Stihl dealer. (FYI that was a joke so you should be lol ing)

The 6100 uses the k095 mount. Pretty easy to get almost everywhere except a Stihl dealer. (FYI that was a joke so you should be lol ing)

Lol that would be the main difference between the two to me. If you don't mind using "echo" specific chains and bars then the 620 is a really really nice saw. If you have other saws that use the k095 mount then the dolmar may be a better choice.

Don't see you having any big problems with either and either would do the job in sure.

I know of a ported 6100 that is for sale right here in Ohio.$600 pho for a like new saw.

Who ported it?

As far as the 6100/620 debate, or any saw debate, it comes down to a few things...

1) parts support and service - do you need a local dealer, or do you plan to buy your parts from a sponsor and conduct your own swrvice/repair?
2) ergonomics - what saw feels better in your hands? Especially when fueled and mounted with your bar of choice.
3) form,fit, function - The Dolmar has better filtration. The Echo is incredibly well put together and professional grade with a magnesium clutch cover and dual spikes that are excellent in function - Dolmar still can't get it right and is running a plastic cover and goofy spike.

You can't go wrong with either, but I would pick the 620P because they run hard, have an unlimited coil, and I am a believer in Japanese quality.

Who ported it?

As far as the 6100/620 debate, or any saw debate, it comes down to a few things...

1) parts support and service - do you need a local dealer, or do you plan to buy your parts from a sponsor and conduct your own swrvice/repair?
2) ergonomics - what saw feels better in your hands? Especially when fueled and mounted with your bar of choice.
3) form,fit, function - The Dolmar has better filtration. The Echo is incredibly well put together and professional grade with a magnesium clutch cover and dual spikes that are excellent in function - Dolmar still can't get it right and is running a plastic cover and goofy spike.

You can't go wrong with either, but I would pick the 620P because they run hard, have an unlimited coil, and I am a believer in Japanese quality.
Well said and agree. How a saw feels in work can be vastly different between Saws even in the same class.

Who ported it?

I believe Dolmar is also Japanese since they are a Makita brand. Only used a echo ones (not really being sold in western europe) so can only say the 6100 is nice and the scavenge stuff works. It really doesn't use as much fuel for the power, and the tanks are big. So fewer tank stops. Wich is nice

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

After owning a 562 for two years, yes there have been some issues but if I was buying another new saw it would very likely be another 562. There are no Dolmar dealers that I'm aware of within 100 of my home so it's very unlikely that I would buy one, I do own a smaller Echo and it's fine but I just don't see the quality like Husqvarna and Stihl. The dealer I bought my 562 from used to sell Dolmar but dropped them but I don't know why.

i have a makita 6100 and it is very impressive -- i also have a cs-620P that i picked up as a wreck "project" saw-- not finished yet--

i also have a cs-590 timber wolf. i strongly suspect that out of the biox the dolmar/makita 6100 is the superior saw in the 60cc class--

both the 590 and the 6100 can pull a 24" bar -- but the 6100 is obviously pulling it a lot faster-- and it is bone stock--

my only gripe about it is it used the small husky mount bar-- although is you look for the small mount bar there seems to be plenty of good deals on um---

Who ported it?

Ecsaws ported the saw and it a good runner.

Weights of brands size etc info. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/chain-saw-weights/

I wouldnt think a extra 1lb or 1/2lb would matter that much for you back though.

One of the 6100 and the 620 I think was full wrap handles.

The 590 600 if I remember right were in the 13lb+ range.

You see why I like the 365 3500 right here ;) Barely over a 50cc 3 cube class weights. ;)

d6100weight.jpg e620pw.JPG d6100w.JPG pta3750.png p365.png

A little over 17 pounds my echo 590 fully fueled and oiled with a 18 inch total bar don't have the 6100 maybe someone can weigh one ready to cut.

I bet it will be relatively heavy. Since the tanks are the biggest. Is that a downside? I don't think so.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back