ECHO Chainsaws - are they catching on?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old poulan 2300cva that I call "the gimp". I'm waiting for a good name to strike me for the 360.

Hey keep that Michigan Muscle away from my daughter.

At that--You don't hear it mentioned here too much, but Twenty years ago Shindaiwa was the official saw af the International Society of Aboriculture-who also is like Echo is also headquartered here in Urbana, Illinois. Today it is Husqvarna.

When I went shopping for a new climbing saw, I found out that you couldn't get Shindaiwa past the EPA regs in the US. I found that Echo was made on Shindaiwa machines by American mechanics. It was the first time I'd even a little interest in them cause their marketing sucks. I mean, I just didn't know what they were. When you think, "Echo" you go, "What is it-- a reflection or a copy or knock off? What are they trying to Echo?" I realize they have been around for decades, but, Shindaiwa or Choppasaki or Whakasuki or Razorsaka would sound tougher.

I like the Five Year Warranty but don't like the bar retaining nuts.

I found that Echo was made on Shindaiwa machines by American mechanics. It was the first time I'd even a little interest in them cause their marketing sucks. I mean, I just didn't know what they were. When you think, "Echo" you go, "What is it-- a reflection or a copy or knock off? What are they trying to Echo?"

They are sister companies both owned by yamibiko group
YAMABIKO CORPORATION I would have bet money that theu were connected 28 years ago even their catalogs looked alike. Just my official thought...Bob

There is no doubt they are catching on in the NE USA and in Canada.

Quite honestly when I want a saw, I just buy it because they make me money. The worse the economy, the more a chainsaw is worth having.

I'd own an Echo in a heartbeat.

Check out their lumberjack competitions. I love this show.

[video=youtube;Ji-SqKS3Bt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-SqKS3Bt4[/video]

The end of that log looks like it is half rotted...my dad's old Poo on would probably go through it like that also!:msp_tongue:

How about walnut?????

Same saw different wood.......

[video=youtube;FuSNYH0-zpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuSNYH0-zpA&feature=plcp[/video]

Same saw stock.....

[video=youtube;458lrMXvKSY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=458lrMXvKSY&feature=relmfu[/video]

I tried a 600p in my quest for my first brand new saw in 30 years. Nice saw but kind of wimpy power wise compared to others I have tried in same cc range. Mastermind really brings these to a new level with his technical skills but I feel that I shouldnt have to instantly put 2-300$ into a new saw to make it run the way it should.
I realize that the husky and stihl I tried would also be greatly boosted by a woods port but they seem to have more guts to begin with. Why? Is it because they cost more? Or is the echo "detuned" to make it last longer?
I am new to these modern saws and any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Russ

I tried a 600p in my quest for my first brand new saw in 30 years. Nice saw but kind of wimpy power wise compared to others I have tried in same cc range. Mastermind really brings these to a new level with his technical skills but I feel that I shouldnt have to instantly put 2-300$ into a new saw to make it run the way it should.
I realize that the husky and stihl I tried would also be greatly boosted by a woods port but they seem to have more guts to begin with. Why? Is it because they cost more? Or is the echo "detuned" to make it last longer?
I am new to these modern saws and any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Russ

What I've found is that the muffler is very restrictive on these new Echos. That and the compression just ain't as high as it should be....

Thanks for the info. I love this forum! Russ

I've done several of these Echos. Most of the time they are sent here directly from the supplier, after the mods I send them on to the owner. I feel that even with the cost of the mods they are a great bargain........but I may be a bit bias in my thinking. :msp_tongue:

A new in the box 60cc saw with compression increase, woods port, custom muffler, tested and tuned....... around 700.00. That's hard to beat.

The answer is probably a bit of both.

I would have to agree with Mastermind. My 500p kicks butt after Randy worked it over. I didn't run it stock but the video didn't lie. In stock form, it was a dog. I did run my 600p before I sent it to Brad. The difference was night and day.

I know that spending an extra 2to3 hundred dollars to get them ported and tuned is a little crazy, but I really think this is in our future for any OPE. The EPA, and in my case CARB and the BAAQMD are doing everthing they can to kill ANY 2 stroke engine. It's just a matter of time before everyone in the states will have to deal with the same crap that we in California deal with. I hope I am wrong!!! I wouldn't wish this kind of nonsense on anyone.

Randy, you have a good point when you look at it that way.
The salespeople I chat with make a big deal about their saws being covered for 5 years and that would go out the window with mods. Then they tell me their saws never come in for work so maybe that is a gamble I could take.
A lot to think about... and the wife says "one saw, get it right!" Oh the pressure... Russ

Randy, you have a good point when you look at it that way.
The salespeople I chat with make a big deal about their saws being covered for 5 years and that would go out the window with mods. Then they tell me their saws never come in for work so maybe that is a gamble I could take.
A lot to think about... and the wife says "one saw, get it right!" Oh the pressure... Russ

Those are nice saws but learn from my newb with an EPA choked up saw mistake: Absolutely do NOT trust factory stock carb settings on them, they are too lean.

Yes, they have a warranty but all they have to say is "straight gassed" and then you are screwed. When it comes to new two strokes today, don't count on a warranty from anyplace. It's a crapshoot. They count on homeowners not using them enough to hit that roached piston and cylinder level, or leaving old fuel in it or whatever. Warranties are more scam than not. And a pro will void the warranty and do mods the day he gets it, so there ya go.

If you get it from a dealer, make sure they adjust it properly before it goes out the door. If they don't pull the caps and adjust, they ain't a good dealer, try elsewhere. If you get it online for much cheaper, make sure you adjust it properly, richen it up a little.

Thanks Zogger,
car warranties have saved my ass many times, I guess 2 stroke is a different matter. So efco and echo pushing their coverage as a selling point is a bunch of hooey?
Something I need to factor in I guess.
I don't want to start the ubiquitous " Help me pick out a saw" thread but I have a lot of questions. What started out as a 300-350$ investment is now looking like 650-700$ and I want to get it right. Back to the drawing board... Thanks, Russ

Back