Echo CS-370

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is taking a brand new small saw and cutting larger stuff considered the best way to break it in? I would think that smaller material and throttle up and throttle down would do a better job gently seating things and avoiding getting parts too warm and causing damage.
Just use it as you normally would. You dont want to baby it because the rings wont seat very well, but there is no need to abuse it either.
Ive ran my Echo blower wide-open right from the start and it runs strong. Its an Echo, theres no need to baby it!

On more update. I ran another tank thru the saw this morning, and it continues to run flawlessly.

I just happened to be glancing over the owners manual, and noticed that in the air filter cover is a movable divider for cold/hot weather operation. I moved the divider over to the cold weather position. I really couldn't tell if it helped, but figured it couldn't hurt either.

Anyhow, I did my final fine tuning with the "H" speed screw, and set the saw to the maximum possible rpms where it made the best power and didn't go lean in the cut. The final setting was just a tad past 3 3/4 turns out from seated.

Since I really don't have anything to compare this saw too, it's difficult to give it an overall rating in terms of cutting speed and power. It seems to have plenty of power for such a small engine, at least now that we've hot-rodded it a bit. Like the other Echo saws that I have, it has a broad/smooth power curve, not "peaky" or concentrated at any particular place in the rpm range.

I bought many other saws over the years, and usually by this time I'm either really liking them, or ready to toss it down over the hill and go get a REAL saw! This one is a keeper, and it's going to fit well into our line-up for the reason that it was purchased:clap: .......Cliff

Last edited:
I do have trouble in the very cold with my CS-400. Below 20* anyway. Doesn't seem to matter if its 20* above or -10*. Running by the 3rd pull usually. Idles fine but unable to do much until it runs for quite some time, but once it warms up shes great. Gotta get rid of the limiter caps yet but haven't had the time yet.

Have you moved the air divider in the air filter cover over to the cold weather operating position?

The 370 we've been working with wouldn't even run cold right out of the box. As soon as you released the throttle it died out instantly. I couldn't even play with the choke and keep it running.

The limiter caps are a bit difficult to access. I took a 3" long drywall screw and pulled them, took a little bit of effort but was able to get both of the caps out and the metal retainer over them without taking the saw apart......Cliff

Time to get the limiter caps off and go after the carburetor. We ended up quite a bit richer for the H screw, but just a tad more for the L screw than the factory settings.

I've tried several times to go back toward the factory settings, and the saw HATES it, barely stays running, hesitates when you hit the throttle and the engine "runs away" and goes lean in the cut......Cliff

Thought I'd put up a few pics to go along with the information about the muffler mods.

This is the final configuration. I made several mods getting up to this point, testing the saw after each modification.

The last pic shows the round chamber in the muffler than used to hold the catalyst. At the bottom of this chamber, not seen in the photo are 8 exhaust ports or holes. Drilling at an slight angle I opened the larger holes up to 1/4", then smoothed the openings with a high speed grinder and tapered carbide cutter.......Cliff

Latest posts

Back