Echo cs 400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been wanting a small cc saw since every thing else I own is 50 to 60 cc. Got a call from a friend that had a tree blow down in a storm a week ago today, I knew the tree was real brushy so didn't want to wallow around cutting the stuff up with a big heavy saw. I have a friend with a cs 370 and it seemed real nice but the dealer didn't have any. I decided on the cs 400 after looking at reviews and the dealer is great but did say he would not give me a deal if I bought the leaf blower I have been drooling over and the saw at the same time.

Started fine from the git go, went thru some well seasoned Ash I have here at home I tried it out on. Should have taken the breaker bar and socket to adjust the chain the first time, Think they toque the nuts to 5000 ft pounds. Had to struggle with the scrench to get them loose. Also know about the lean conditions told of so after I went thru the first tank of fuel I removed the spark plug to check color. Again would have been nice to had the breaker bar and socket to remove the plug and they used the same 5000 ft pound toque wrench on it. the plug wire connector and boot were also a royal pain as no slack and that coil spring plug connector is also a royal pain and needed the flat wend of the scrench to pry it off. Color of the plug was fine how ever.
A grip I have with all the chain saws since they reduced the weight to just a few pounds from the hundreds of pounds of the early saws is the chain oil tank filler being so close to the handle bar, but the Echo had the fine touch of raising the cap so all the dust and dirt can be wiped away easily. I found the fuel fill hole on th small side for the use of my fuel can nozzle. it fit the hole but was hard to see just how full it is.

Like the access to the plug and air cleaner and the real metal on and off switch.
I cut way more wood on one tank of fuel than I thought I could after all all I have to compare with is huskys and Jonsered.

Weight is nice way lighter than even my father in laws pruning saw a 2150 Polan.

Another nice touch is the bar and chain size for replacement if you desire to use stock sticker under the top handle.

So far am delighted with the saw and the dealer. But reserve the right to go nuts after I have used the saw for more than to fill a 1 ton pick up once.

:D Al

Good news alleyyooper, hope you have the same dependable service from your cs400 as I have had with mine, a 2010 model year.
Mine is still bone stock and has burned thru many, many gallons of fuel.
A 14" b/c combo is my prefered rig, IMHO, the smaller set up really allows this lil' saw to shine.

My pick up is a ton job with a cap. Have filled it twice with this fuel sipping saw. Can't get over how much I can cut before it runs out of fuel. Worst fuel sucker is the Husky 455, should be a way to run it with the cap off it needs refueling so often.

:D Al

Latest posts

Back