Echo CS-440 EVL ???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drive_1305

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an Echo CS-440 EVL thats not running right. The tank and fuel filter looked good so I cleaned them out and haven't took the carb apart yet-I wanted to see if the saw would run before I spent more money on it. It doesn't have a bar on it, it has a CJ8 plug in it and the screws are set L 1-1/2 turns and H 1-1/8. Im using mix I had for another saw thats pretty rich about 25:1. It cranks real easy and sounds like it has good power but it won't run at low speed or idle. It seems to have good compression and holds up by the rope good(no bar). I turned the L screw out a little that helped some, I kept flipping the choke on that helped but it still won't run at low speed unless I keep blipping the throttle. What do you think the problem is? Think it just needs a carb kit or does it sound like air leaks or something else?

Thanks!

Drive_1305 said:
I have an Echo CS-440 EVL thats not running right. The tank and fuel filter looked good so I cleaned them out and haven't took the carb apart yet-I wanted to see if the saw would run before I spent more money on it. It doesn't have a bar on it, it has a CJ8 plug in it and the screws are set L 1-1/2 turns and H 1-1/8. Im using mix I had for another saw thats pretty rich about 25:1. It cranks real easy and sounds like it has good power but it won't run at low speed or idle. It seems to have good compression and holds up by the rope good(no bar). I turned the L screw out a little that helped some, I kept flipping the choke on that helped but it still won't run at low speed unless I keep blipping the throttle. What do you think the problem is? Think it just needs a carb kit or does it sound like air leaks or something else?

Thanks!

Check the following: fuel line and filter, tank vent, look for muffler blockage, air filter contidion. Have you set the idle adjustment higher? It may need a carb kit and for $5 why not? It's an older saw and probably needs it anyway.

I cleaned the fuel line and filter and the muffler looked good. I don't think the idle adjusment would help it. It seems to run good at high speed, but it won't run at low unless I keep blipping the throttle. I tried running it with the gas cap loose that didn't help. Seems like its not getting enough gas. It must need a carb kit. Maybe the diaphram parts are dried and stiff flows enough gas at high speed but not at low? I'll give it a try.

Are these very good saws? The only saws I've ever ran are a new small Homelite and a Super EZ, this Echo seemed pretty quick reving and powerful to me.

Last edited:
Drive_1305 said:
I cleaned the fuel line and filter and the muffler looked good. I don't think the idle adjusment would help it. It seems to run good at high speed, but it won't run at low unless I keep blipping the throttle. I tried running it with the gas cap loose that didn't help. Seems like its not getting enough gas. It must need a carb kit. Maybe the diaphram parts are dried and stiff flows enough gas at high speed but not at low? I'll give it a try.

Are these very good saws? The only saws I've ever ran are a new small Homelite and a Super EZ, this Echo seemed pretty quick reving and powerful to me.

They're great saws. I like 'em.

A new carb kit and cleaning made it run good. One of the diaphrams in the kit was platic not rubber, it looked a little odd to me. Anyone ever seen those before, I suppose its right it runs good?

I may put a rim type sprocket and better bar on it. Do the rim type sprockets work good on these saws? Also Oregon shows the same part number sprocket for the CS-400, 440, and John Deere 45EV, but it doesn't list the 440EVl or JD 46EV. Another website showed a different brand sprocket I think and it fit all the models I listed. Anyone know if the CS-440EVL uses the same Oregon sprocket as the CS-400,440? Should I go with a 16" or 18" or does it make any difference?

Retoocs555..You have a pm

Drive_1305 said:
A new carb kit and cleaning made it run good. One of the diaphrams in the kit was platic not rubber, it looked a little odd to me. Anyone ever seen those before, I suppose its right it runs good?

I may put a rim type sprocket and better bar on it. Do the rim type sprockets work good on these saws? Also Oregon shows the same part number sprocket for the CS-400, 440, and John Deere 45EV, but it doesn't list the 440EVl or JD 46EV. Another website showed a different brand sprocket I think and it fit all the models I listed. Anyone know if the CS-440EVL uses the same Oregon sprocket as the CS-400,440? Should I go with a 16" or 18" or does it make any difference?

Retoocs555..You have a pm
Plastic diap is on the pump diap quite often,depending brand of carb and model.They work ok.

I got my Echo 440EVL cleaned up and it cranks and runs pretty good, but I probably still need more parts. I don't think I could ever sell the saw and get my money back. You don't see many of these on ebay so Im wondering if I were to part it out do you think the parts would sell? I don't know if there's much demand or not. What do you think some of the parts would bring? I just want to get an idea, I would hate to sell one or two parts and get stuck with the rest.

Im not ready to sell anything now still thinking about it. Thanks for any help.

Back