Echo cs-490 vs Makita/Dolmar 5121/510

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs-490 or Dolkita 5121

• Dolkita

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Echo

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • other

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
I don't feel that the 5105 is heavy for limbing, just cumbersome. Fat. Centre of gravity too spread out in the crosswise direction. I think it would probably rate among the very best of all time for a 50cc blocking saw. I bought it with that in mind. Certain kinds of power are kinda addictive. Smooth, torquey power does that to me somehow. I expect the 5105 to have that in spades, if the 420 is any indication. I bought it to replace my old jonsered 590's which I want to use more sparingly. The 5105 will never handle as nice, but I am hoping it has a similar kind of power (hopefully a wee bit more). We'll see when I actually use it soon. Most of my work is clearing downed/leaning trees on fenceline, falling dying/dead trees (snags), and general clean-up/pruning.

Damn, I still need a super-nice handling 50cc saw...lol. Maybe a 550xp (with a sidestand), as it would drive me crazy to have the thing falling over all the time. And I hate the orange and grey colour scheme that looks like crap almost immediately. Eventually the autotune will be perfect. Always, every time, every saw. Then I will buy one. Although I would prefer a red version, but there is no further development coming to that line. Unfortunately, another legendary brand will be gone.

Ran both the 026 Sthil and the new Echo 490 today. Both saws ran flawlessly. To my surprise the Echo 490 cut every bit as fast as the Sthil if not a tad better.
I blocked up several medium trees and flush cut a lot of stumps. I'd use one saw until it ran out of gas then fuel it up and let it rest while I used the other. Traded them out so both were used equally. Both saws have 20 inch bars and similar chains. Both have rim drive .325. Both weigh 14.2 lbs fuelled ready to go. Both have anti-vibration and I liked them equally well. I think the Sthil bar and chain could (maybe) be adapted to fit the Echo. Either way limbing was easy as the saws are a LOT lighter than the Echo 590 and 029 Sthil, (Love that Sthil saw) which has been my "go to saw" when the 026 was acting up. A couple stump butts were so big the 20 inch bar would not go all way through but the 490 went right on cutting. On a few stumps I cut the roots off where they interfere with the cut to get the bar through. I guess most people do that. I do have a personal trick for that as far as I know is all mine but others may do it too. I'll check some books and see if it's taught. In the end I'm happily surprised with the Echo 490. The stock bar on the Echo didn't look good but it did a danged good job. I'll go with a better bar when it's replaced. I've got 2 Echo saws had 3 and all work well. The plastic does look flimsy, especially the choke levers, the chain side plate looks wimpy too but with space age plastic I'm not worried yet. Thanks.

I believe on page 97 section IV subsection 2 of the warranty it expressly states doing so voids the warranty.
Didn't look at the warranty yet but the 490 saw is doing well stock. Don't plan to muffler mod it just yet. The 590 Timberwolf was bought in 2015 and does a super good job stock, no mods.

I think someone somewhere , said just removing the limiter caps voids the warranty.

My electronic instructor once said most things that need warranty work usually fail during the first 90 days.
I'm not to concerned about the older saw but this new saw needs to be used a few years before I'll do anything to void my warranty.
The old Sthil has a muffler mod and is loud. I kinda like the quietest stock 490.

I wonder if anyone has regretted doing a muffler mod on any brand of chainsaw?
So far I have gotten good results on both old Sthils.
Thanks.

The 490 is still isn't very loud with the tube pulled from under the deflector. The muffler is completely empty inside it' just a hollow can.

In 50 years of buying O P E, I have only had to use the warranty twice, and it was covered both times. If you remove the limiter caps to re-tune and then replace them you are probably going to be OK. If you have a good dealer and he does it, you will surely be covered. It all depends on your factory rep.

My dealer pulled the limiters on my 355t and set it so I had another half turn after the factory richest setting. Good dealers will take care of you. If he won' pull the limiters and tune the saw find another dealer.

If you haven't bought a saw yet I'd recommend the 590 or better yet an HD 6421 rental saw if you can find one. The 50cc saws are nice but I think a 60cc class saw makes a better one saw plan.

If I didn' have my ported 590 this would have come home last week. Almost did anyway so I could build an 80cc monster lol.

I looked at a 6421 at a HD after seeing these posts. While pushing the chain from side to side to check the bar groove wear, the gentleman working there told me it was a brand new chain. He then said, "That chain will last you a lifetime."

I don't know if I look that old or look like I just fell off the turnip truck.

I looked at a 6421 at a HD after seeing these posts. While pushing the chain from side to side to check the bar groove wear, the gentleman working there told me it was a brand new chain. He then said, "That chain will last you a lifetime."

I don't know if I look that old or look like I just fell off the turnip truck.
I told the guy if I came back for one it was getting an 80cc top end. I think his brain melted a little.

I consider power-to-weight as the most important factor. I don't mind an extra pound or so, if I got n@ts behind it to make the difference. The 421 (.27 HP per pound) the 490 (.28 HP per pound) and the 5105 (.32 HP per pound).

You will see this repeated through other CC classes as well, Dolmar has one of the best power-to-weight ratios of all saw manufacturers. And, daddy digs the way they sound!!

I consider power-to-weight as the most important factor. I don't mind an extra pound or so, if I got n@ts behind it to make the difference. The 421 (.27 HP per pound) the 490 (.28 HP per pound) and the 5105 (.32 HP per pound).

You will see this repeated through other CC classes as well, Dolmar has one of the best power-to-weight ratios of all saw manufacturers. And, daddy digs the way they sound!!

Keep in mind that's before a good tune and muff modd, the Echo will gain the most by far with a simple muff modd. Don't know about the Dolmar but the 490 needs 10 tanks to break in good, as they come tuned lean ,with a clogged up muff and tight tolerances they are turds. Steve

Keep in mind that's before a good tune and muff modd, the Echo will gain the most by far with a simple muff modd. Don't know about the Dolmar but the 490 needs 10 tanks to break in good, as they come tuned lean ,with a clogged up muff and tight tolerances they are turds. Steve
needing to modify a saw just to get it in the same league as its competitors is sad.

The fact is that it takes less than 20 minutes to pull the tube out of the muff pull the tabs and retune and yes it will run with the Dolmar then. NO warrenty lost as it can be put back easy. Echo clogs up the muff and tunes lean on purpose to get by the EPA regulations. Quit whining about minor stuff. Steve

Latest posts

Back