• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Echo CS-500P Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglas Wend

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Want to buy a Echo CS-500P in good condition. Would be willing to pay up to 300 shipped for the right saw in very good condition. If you were thinking of upgrading or have an extra, please contact me at [email protected]

why not buy ya a new cs 490 off flea bay for new right around that price....

Thx for the input. I actually was looking at exactly that. Just seemed that the 500 had a few nice features but your right, in the end there is not much difference. hate to deal with all the larceny though.....I have never seen more stolen items than chainsaws on ebay.
No kidding.....i suppose you could ask for a serial number and where they are from before you buy it.....ya think flea bay they would be afraid of fraud charges and crossing state lines etc.....I just like a new saw as opposed to used..... seems like almost every used one i get has an issue i have to deal with.....even if they say it runs....at that price ya cant go wrong..... i would not want stolen property though.....has to be some way to cross check it....

No kidding.....i suppose you could ask for a serial number and where they are from before you buy it.....ya think flea bay they would be afraid of fraud charges and crossing state lines etc.....I just like a new saw as opposed to used..... seems like almost every used one i get has an issue i have to deal with.....even if they say it runs....at that price ya cant go wrong..... i would not want stolen property though.....has to be some way to cross check it....
At the risk of hijacking my own thread here, I would say on used thats true as well. A new saw is safer, but its just difficult when you know or suspect its stolen and your part of the problem. Having said that, as a long time user of Ebay, I have no doubt I have received stolen merchandise so don't want to sound too pious here. But wow, the number of "new" chainsaws from private sellers is staggering. Especially those from big boxtores like HD, Lowes etc who carry echos amoung others. Employee theft is a big issue. Let me just share one story. So I had a hankering for a Makita 6421 to replace my old 6401 that I had bought as a rental closeout at HD. I tried one off of Fleabay like you said anmd crapped out. Would not oil at all. So I decided to upgrade to new and a few days later a "new in the box" unit showed up for 500.00 on Ebay. I figured ok, it looks harmless. I did the buy it now and was looking for ward to me new saw. The next day, another one just like it showed up on Ebay from the same seller except and thats when I knew I had a problem. Its true that some people win saws or power tools in raffles, or gifts, or soemthing like that but when a second one shows up wellllll. This seller was outside of Atalanta which happens to be the headquaters for Makita USA where all the makita products are routed through. Duuhhhhh. Anyway, I notified the seller to start a refund and no questions asked.
Anyway, back to the 490 vs 500. I am leaning in that direction right now as I do not want to go over 300.00. I have a Echo CS-370 and love that saw. I just want to run a 20" bar and still have the light weight. I will run a 16 on the 370. Thats the plan right now but check with me after lunch. VBG

At the risk of hijacking my own thread here, I would say on used thats true as well. A new saw is safer, but its just difficult when you know or suspect its stolen and your part of the problem. Having said that, as a long time user of Ebay, I have no doubt I have received stolen merchandise so don't want to sound too pious here. But wow, the number of "new" chainsaws from private sellers is staggering. Especially those from big boxtores like HD, Lowes etc who carry echos amoung others. Employee theft is a big issue. Let me just share one story. So I had a hankering for a Makita 6421 to replace my old 6401 that I had bought as a rental closeout at HD. I tried one off of Fleabay like you said anmd crapped out. Would not oil at all. So I decided to upgrade to new and a few days later a "new in the box" unit showed up for 500.00 on Ebay. I figured ok, it looks harmless. I did the buy it now and was looking for ward to me new saw. The next day, another one just like it showed up on Ebay from the same seller except and thats when I knew I had a problem. Its true that some people win saws or power tools in raffles, or gifts, or soemthing like that but when a second one shows up wellllll. This seller was outside of Atalanta which happens to be the headquaters for Makita USA where all the makita products are routed through. Duuhhhhh. Anyway, I notified the seller to start a refund and no questions asked.
Anyway, back to the 490 vs 500. I am leaning in that direction right now as I do not want to go over 300.00. I have a Echo CS-370 and love that saw. I just want to run a 20" bar and still have the light weight. I will run a 16 on the 370. Thats the plan right now but check with me after lunch. VBG

The 490 is 299.99 out the door at most places.

Local shop has them out the door for 275+ tax.

No reason to try for a 500p when the majority of the features are on the 490, including a rim drive setup.

Get brand new, with warranty, and be happy.

Thx for the replies. I am going to drop down to the 490 as suggested. Would consider used. I like the weight of these saws but don't want to spend too much here as it will be occasional use over the long haul.

I am new here and have not figured out how to close this thread down. Thx to all who have replied. I am going to re-evaluate some options so no longer in the market. Best of luck to all

Back