Echo CS-500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is a good looking saw. i had the 530 and it was a creamer with a MM and tuned. if it will cut as fast as the 530 it will be a fantastic saw. least i can say echo stayed with the non sealed jets,trim the limiters and fatten it up. but on the other had i won't put out the almost 500 to replace my 361. for teh extra pound, 100 more and more cc's i will keep my 361 since i can't afford to go out and just buy it. personally echo has come a long way with their saws. they are looking a lot better just hope they will last a long time

"personally echo has come a long way with their saws. they are looking a lot better just hope they will last a long time"

+1

Not just chainsaws, they make EXCELLENT string trimmers, leaf blowers, and garden tiller as well.

I've been running one of their straight shaft string trimmers since 2004, and love it. Zero issues anyplace. It would be nice to have an adjustable carb on it, but it has great power and plenty of speed.

Dig my garden up every year with their little tiller, and just did a big garden spot for a friend of ours earlier this week.

The leaf blower is really strong for the size/weight, and is used several times a week now for nearly 10 years.

All their saws in their line-up aren't comparable to Stihl and Husqvarna Pro models, but they are continuing to improve the line-up, and constructing their saws with more professional features, and more power/chain speed as well.

My opinion is that they will take a bite out of that market, if they continue on their current path. So far they've concentrated on the small and mid-sized offerings. Echo's big saws still need some improvements. I own a CS-6700, and had two CS-670's and one CS-800. I kept the CS-6700 as a "loaner", and dumped the 670's and 800 as they just weren't on par with my larger Husqvarna Pro saws......Cliff

Just tweaking them; The Echo throng is easy, and Steve, especially so.

I agree that if the power is there, Echo might have a winner. The weight is a full pound lighter than a 346. But the sideways balance might not be as good (J/K ST).

We'll have to see. I was 'snedding'/bumping today in County Carlow, Ireland. I did notice the 346 rolls along the trunks better than my Echo does. Having said that, my Echo has heaps more power. I dunno how Echo do it. I hear the timing advances more aggressively than other saws, but that was just hearsay. The new 500 is a looker, tho. At least they got that and the weight right.

CS-500Pp ignition

Figured there might be one or two of you interested in this. We got the new CS-500P in today. Amazingly, this saw weighs over two pounds less than the Dolmar PS-5100, it must be one of the lightest 50cc's around. Didn't run it yet, I'll post up some pics this evening, maybe even a video if time permits and the rains slows up.

Note: no shipments on these, sorry.

Edge and Engine: Or Anybody with Echo info:

1. I see the ignition is listed as CDI and the CS-550p is DIGITAL. Can you explain the differences in the two systems?

2. Are the CS-530s still being made available from the factory?

3. I am an Echo fan, never had an engine failure with an Echo; but tell me the truth if you will, Is this the best Echo now available (CS-500p)?

Thank you in advance

Edge and Engine: Or Anybody with Echo info:

1. I see the ignition is listed as CDI and the CS-550p is DIGITAL. Can you explain the differences in the two systems?
From wikipedia...Bob

Digital electronic ignitionsAt the turn of the 21st century digital electronic ignition modules became available for small engines on such applications as chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers, and lawn mowers. This was made possible by low cost, high speed, and small footprint microcontrollers. Digital electronic ignition modules can be designed as either capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) or inductive discharge ignition (IDI) systems. Capacitive discharge digital ignitions store charged energy for the spark in a capacitor within the module that can be released to the spark plug at virtually any time throughout the engine cycle via a control signal from the microprocessor. This allows for greater timing flexibility, and engine performance; especially when designed hand-in-hand with the engine carburetor.

I'm liking the looks of this new Echo, would love to see a vid of it run.

I don't have any experience with Echo saws before, so all I know is what I read here, both good and bad.

(Also, you guys comparing the 80CC Echo to the 70CC stihl/husky saws and saying it cuts faster... WTF?)

I'm liking the looks of this new Echo, would love to see a vid of it run.

I don't have any experience with Echo saws before, so all I know is what I read here, both good and bad.

(Also, you guys comparing the 80CC Echo to the 70CC stihl/husky saws and saying it cuts faster... WTF?)

Chris last time i did timed cuts my CS8000 took 14 secends and my 044 took 19 seconds, the Cs8000 doesn't rev as high but you can lean on it with low rakers. Againt my 385xp the CS8000 was 1 or 2 seconds slower in 20 second cut. this is in white oak. Steve

From wikipedia...Bob

Digital electronic ignitionsAt the turn of the 21st century digital electronic ignition modules became available for small engines on such applications as chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers, and lawn mowers. This was made possible by low cost, high speed, and small footprint microcontrollers. Digital electronic ignition modules can be designed as either capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) or inductive discharge ignition (IDI) systems. Capacitive discharge digital ignitions store charged energy for the spark in a capacitor within the module that can be released to the spark plug at virtually any time throughout the engine cycle via a control signal from the microprocessor. This allows for greater timing flexibility, and engine performance; especially when designed hand-in-hand with the engine carburetor.

Bob or anyone, do most saws nowdays have some kind if spark advance or not. I'd almost think my 044 doesn't as it will pull back hard if I don't pull it hard enough, there would be no reason to have the timing that far advanced if it had some sort of timing advance. Steve

Chris last time i did timed cuts my CS8000 took 14 secends and my 044 took 19 seconds, the Cs8000 doesn't rev as high but you can lean on it with low rakers. Againt my 385xp the CS8000 was 1 or 2 seconds slower in 20 second cut. this is in white oak. Steve

Well yeah, my point was that it shouldn't be surprising that the 80cc echo cuts faster than the 70cc stihl, nor is it a fair comparison.

Run against, say, a Dolmar 7900 however, it'd be more fair.

Not picking a fight or dissing echo, just stating my view.

Well yeah, my point was that it shouldn't be surprising that the 80cc echo cuts faster than the 70cc stihl, nor is it a fair comparison.

Run against, say, a Dolmar 7900 however, it'd be more fair.

Not picking a fight or dissing echo, just stating my view.

I have a 7900 Dolmar also which cuts the same as my 385xp so it's a bit faster the my CS8000. According to the Stihl, Husky bunch a 70cc Stihl or Husky does cut faster than the 80cc Echo, they rev faster but don't cut faster, maybe in small softwood. Steve

I'm really liking what I see in the pics of this new saw. I'll be adding it to my saw purchase cue for sure. We all know it won't stay stock for long, but I guess I can hold off long enough to break it in first.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mr. HE:cool:

From wikipedia...Bob

Thanks Bob,

Yes, on the new Echo site; they list the new CS-500p as CDI and the new CS-550p as Digital.

Just in layman's terms, I though they were the same; but Echo listed them different.

Here's a video of the CS-500P cutting. 100% stock, including needle settings.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uRo6ID7pcSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My ported 446s is still faster (as it should be, even though it was my first port job and not quite as good as I'd hoped for):

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h8xK9vj4XBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a video of the CS-500P cutting. 100% stock, including needle settings. ...

Wow, that's pretty impressive for a 10+ lb. saw straight out of the box. Once it is broken in and re-tuned it should do even better. I really like the looks of that saw. Echo saws are known for starting easily and reliably, and for being relatively trouble free. Hopefully the new saw will continue that tradition, but with an improved power-to-weight ratio.

Me likey! :msp_thumbup:

Doug

Very, very nice. Echo's got some topnotch saws and this looks like one, and its weight went down from the 530 to boot. Thanks for posting a vid. :clap:

Is this model made by echo, or is it basically a shindaiwa made for echo? I know the pictures of the chain adjuster look like that on the 446.

It's my understanding that this saw is based on a Shindaiwa design. Of course Shindaiwa is now part of Echo, so I suppose you could say that this is made by the "new" Echo. My guess is that there is a bit of Echo DNA in there as well. The purchase of Shindaiwa by Echo was viewed with trepidation by Shiny fans. Hopefully this saw shows that Echo plans to build on the strong engineering tradition at Shindaiwa, improving it rather than killing it. Time will tell.

Doug

Looks good to me... I have liked some of Echos engineering and with the addition of Shinny too....well this might be my first brand new saw. I have never bought a new saw before.

Back