Echo CS-500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why a 100 buck fix? Get the carb off, get the number, order the kit by make/model of carb. Pay attention to which bits go where. Clean it out good with carb cleaner, and the little screen inside is sorta critical. New lines, etc. Should be under 20 total, not 100.
OK. Well at least we have isolated the engine starting problem to the carburetor. Then again, there is a strange clunking sound whenever you shake the saw. Mufflers for these saws are all discontinued. Sounds like the guts of the muffler have all come apart and are rattling around inside the muffler housing. Is that something to be concerned about? I figured I would just let that slide until I got the engine to start running. :popcorn:

New Saw: Echo cs500p

It's an inboard, and 100% different from the CS-530. It's very similar to the Shindaiwa 446s, but it has a different engine and several new features.

185073d1306246108-001-jpg

185074d1306246126-003-jpg

185075d1306246136-011-jpg

185076d1306246146-012-jpg

185077d1306246154-014-jpg

I just picked up a cs500p yesterday from a local dealer. For the same price I could have picked up a Stihl 271 but after researching here, and other sites online, I made this decision. It strikes me as a great saw, light and strong, for my yearly firewood needs (24 face cords) and yard maintenance. My previous saw was a Stihl 024av from the 80's, which finally gave up the ghost. Although it was a small saw, I took the advice of my logger neighbour and always kept my chain sharp, chain guide in bar clean, and air filter breathing well. Thanks for providing the info in your posts. Have a great day.

Just got one off Ebay, $360 shipped. Another Echo that needs a muff modd, a dog as it came, cuts almost as good as a CS520 with the muff opened up and it's not broke in yet. Ready to cut 14# 7 oz and handle great. Tuning was real good, a tad rich if anything. Steve

That 500P is so sweet I'm gonna give you some You Suck points even though you didn't get it for free! Every now and again you get one that's actually tuned right from the factory.

Just got one off Ebay, $360 shipped. Another Echo that needs a muff modd, a dog as it came, cuts almost as good as a CS520 with the muff opened up and it's not broke in yet. Ready to cut 14# 7 oz and handle great. Tuning was real good, a tad rich if anything. Steve

I see there is one on there now for $375 shipped. I hope they keep having them on there until I can afford one.

Never did have a problem with the muffler falling off Echo saws as some Stihl and Husky models do but this CS500p has 4 bolts holding the muff on. Also it has a 2 ring piston, but I don't think 1 or 2 rings matter much. Still not as much power as the CS520, maybe after break in. Those Cs520 got balls. Steve

Got it Working...

Needed to clean and rebuild the carb. Simple fix, actually. Several other minor areas needed attention, but this saw is now a keeper. I think it runs right alongside my Stihl 034 AV Super that I upgrade to an 036.

Echo is still a force to be reckoned with.

Is your 500p getting any closer to the power of the 510/520/530 now that it's broke in? It sounds like it just isn't on the same level as the older 50cc's.

I don't run the 500p much yet, I'm using some CS400 and a Cs450 with .325 nk chain around the mill. Just not impressed with the 500p yet, think I'm going to try opening up the muff more. Steve

Not odd at all, considering the power specs. 2.13 kW/2.9 hp is very low for a 50cc saw - actually the lowest I have ever seen after the 1950s.

Not odd at all, considering the power specs. 2.13 kW/2.9 hp is very low for a 50cc saw - actually the lowest I have ever seen after the 1950s.
What I see as a faux pas on the homepage of the specs is thet the 490 and 500 have the same power numbers. This is for me quite strange.

Latest posts

Back