Echo CS-500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand the CS-500P is based on the Shin 446S which was going to be released as a Shin 502 (or 5 something) then Echo took over. Other than the Orange paint and decals, I can see a lot of Shindaiwa in there... similar to the 488 and 490 except now we have the inboard clutch.

Me too... will report back on Sunday. I have mine set up with a 20" and 3/8" LP chain. Modified the carb limiters so I can get some adjustment.

Well, I have it out in the truck, It will be the weekend before I can try it out....

I haven't even started mine, but I did pull the restrictor out of the muffler exit, opened up the deflector for the exhaust and trimmed the tabs off the carb limiters. This is a Shindaiwa saw all the way, 446s's big brother. We will see how it does like this for a bit before we go over board with mods. The muffler was VERY restricted though.

So you are leaving the exit tube comletely out?

Is your muffler a wide-open can with no center baffle?

I haven't even started mine, but I did pull the restrictor out of the muffler exit, opened up the deflector for the exhaust and trimmed the tabs off the carb limiters. This is a Shindaiwa saw all the way, 446s's big brother. We will see how it does like this for a bit before we go over board with mods. The muffler was VERY restricted though.

Those ShiniEcho engineers have it figured out...

- No CAT muffler
- No baffle in the muffler
- No StratoXtorq

I heard a rumor that Husqvarna was buying Echo to get their muffler technology. Just a rumor.

Fired up the new Echo for the first time yesterday and here is an update:

Only mods are a switch to 3/8 bar and chain, and opening up the exhaust deflector.

Ran 3 tanks of gas through it cutting up some old dry pine and some stumps with a lot of bark. The air filter sytem is great- no chips or other stuff in the airbox after 3 tanks. Power is good, but Shindaiwas take some time to break in. High speed is set at 12,200 for now. Light! Pulled the 3/8 72LG chain just fine unless I really pushed on it.

I've never owned an Echo, but I think I'll buy another one of these before UL/ANSI/EPA/CARB figures out that you really can have a 50cc saw that CUTS without a cat muffler and strangled intake system!

I just talked to the "Territory Manager" that covers 42 counties here in Ohio. He said the 500P is the Shindaiwa 488 brought back due to popular demand. I don't know my Echos, so , is this like a 488 or a 446? It's a well built saw with a vertically split mag case and bolt on cylinder.

Last edited:
The CS-500P is an updated Shindaiwa 502S which is a larger displacement version of the 446S. It has nothing to do with the old 488.

The CS-500P is an updated Shindaiwa 502S which is a larger displacement version of the 446S. It has nothing to do with the old 488.

Is that good ? I'm getting interested in these, I can get a nice used one cheap....how the heck did I get into this saw stuff :dizzy:

This discussion about Shin, or Echo ancestry reminds me of the old Reeses peanut butter commercials. "Hey, you got your Shindaiwa in my Echo". No you got your Echo in my Shin".

I've been using Echo equipment since 1990. My first Echo was a string trimmer. Little 21cc straight shaft. That little trimmer survived EVERYTHING I could put it through. Only had to replace it due to theft. Replaced it with same model from a pawn shop. Picked up several other Echo pieces. Numerous handheld blowers (always been underpowered), and a cs4400 chainsaw. My cs4400 has been reliable as can be.

Despite years of abuse and often being left in the bed of my truck in all weather, I've never had to leave a job unfinished due to any Echo equipment. I've had a Redmax trimmer fail to start due to a weak coil, Stihl blower fail to start due to carb issue. The simple rugged designs Echo has put forth are very forgiving of "field repairs", and tend to interchange parts.

My point being that while cutting speed and HP are the topics of most chainsaw threads, reliability and field servicibility should (at least in my mind) be equally important.

Day after day, year after year, Echo equipment just works.

Late to the scrap on this but I'm a big stihl guy. That being said I was givin a few echo saws new for free from my equipment dealer due to late arrival of a machine I was havin built. 330t and cs450p. The little top handle is ok. It was free:rock: put a 20" bar on the 450p and stump saw it was. After a year I realized it was still kickin. :msp_ohmy: did some research and realized what I had. Mm and retune with 16" bar. I will not sell this saw. I have watching what echo has been doing ever since.

My first Echo was a string trimmer. Little 21cc straight shaft. That little trimmer survived EVERYTHING I could put it through. Only had to replace it due to theft. Replaced it with same model from a pawn shop.

Are you sure you didn't replace it with the same trimmer from a pawn shop?:msp_sneaky:

Just sayin'

Are you sure you didn't replace it with the same trimmer from a pawn shop?:msp_sneaky:

Just sayin'

That was also my first thought. But then if we are talking about a 1990 model, it surely wasn't that expensive to buy.

Late to the scrap on this but I'm a big stihl guy. That being said I was givin a few echo saws new for free from my equipment dealer due to late arrival of a machine I was havin built. 330t and cs450p. The little top handle is ok. It was free:rock: put a 20" bar on the 450p and stump saw it was. After a year I realized it was still kickin. :msp_ohmy: did some research and realized what I had. Mm and retune with 16" bar. I will not sell this saw. I have watching what echo has been doing ever since.

The CS450 is another Echo that makes huge improvements with just a muff modd and tuning.. Steve

Latest posts

Back