Echo CS-500P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure you didn't replace it with the same trimmer from a pawn shop?:msp_sneaky:

Just sayin'

Lol, pretty sure it wasn't my own. Entirely possible it ended up there the same way though. They made variations of the srm210 for a long time. During production there were numerous changes. The replacement was newer than the one lost. I think I gave $75 for it. It still is my back up. Early on in its life my Redmax trimmer couldn't be depended on. Once broke in and adjusted right, it's been great. Way more power and fuel efficient than the old echo, but it's let me down more than once.

Never, I repeat NEVER needed a backup for an echo. Always been able to make em run.

If it stays together and has any piss to it at all that Echo will sell, sell and sell.

The number of folks looking to step away from Stihl and Husqvarna right now is HUGE. Hopefully Echo put it together right.

At $400.00 out the door it would not need to have all that much piss to it, 10.7#.

I just looked at ECHO saws for the first time last week, things like magnesium cases, 300 hour EPA engine ratings and all metal handles are a pretty big deal at similar price points to some of the things Husky offers for similar dollars.

The Echos look like a winner to me, they give you more for your dollars.

New to site, new saw

Just bought a new Echo CS 500 last Thursday. Getting ready to put it to work this weekend. I have a little experience with chainsaws, grew up cutting wood with my uncle. But this fall my wife and I bought a Blaze King to heat our home with wood. I had enough wood cut from the last few years of using a borrowed Echo CS 520 to burn for most of this winter.
I am curious about the "mods" to make it run more efficiently. Is there a place on the site to look for "how-to's" on this particular saw to do muffler modifications and some of the other things I am reading about. This year I intend to cut and split two years worth of wood (10-12 cords) and would like to do it as safely, quickly and efficiently as possible.
On a side note, does modifying things void the warranty?
Thanks for any help.

chances are you won't have a warranty issue if you take car of it. forget the warranty i'm an echo tech and if echo didn't do it they ain't covering it. cut to your hearts content just keep your chains sharp, mix at the right ratio and fresh, have fun, and let the saw do the work. don't be beatin on it for no reason.:msp_thumbsup:

Just bought a new Echo CS 500 last Thursday. Getting ready to put it to work this weekend. I have a little experience with chainsaws, grew up cutting wood with my uncle. But this fall my wife and I bought a Blaze King to heat our home with wood. I had enough wood cut from the last few years of using a borrowed Echo CS 520 to burn for most of this winter.
I am curious about the "mods" to make it run more efficiently. Is there a place on the site to look for "how-to's" on this particular saw to do muffler modifications and some of the other things I am reading about. This year I intend to cut and split two years worth of wood (10-12 cords) and would like to do it as safely, quickly and efficiently as possible.
On a side note, does modifying things void the warranty?
Thanks for any help.

Did you get it from a dealer? If so did they tune it correctly in the shop?

I like echo saws just fine..own some..and I do not trust how they ship as regards the H screw. Crapshoot. Not familiar with that model though, so..on your own there.

Use non ethanol fuel, just hunt it down, use their echo brand mix oil, save the receipts, or better, buy the echo oil direct from a servicing dealer, save that receipt. You might could get themj to run the saw in for you for registration purposes, I dont know all their policies on that with saws bought elsewhere, but worth a shot.. If you got the saw elsewhere, take it there, offer to pay a reasonable 15 minute shop fee, whatever their minimum is for a quick carb adjust,throw some cash right on the counter while talking, and ask them nicely if they would please adjust it correctly as you intend to take care of it, and use it, and only use fresh good quality mix, and you dont want it getting toasted due to too lean of a stock carb EPA setting, if applicable.

Thanks for the help

Thanks for the quick responses. I did buy the saw from one of the local Echo dealers. It is the same shop I bought the stove from. After much researching, I found the most common response about buying a saw included two parts - 1. Buy from a local shop 2. Develop a good relationship with them. They have a great shop, I have had everything from lawn mowers to chainsaws serviced there and never had an issue. The techs helping me have always been patient and knowledgeable. They even put on a basic how-to class on servicing your own small engine.
Couple more questions...
I intend to use Echo/Shindaiwa oil and I have a low-temp bar oil for cutting during the winter here in Alaska. But where do I find non-ethanol gas?

Do the muffler modifications help "that much"?

I will be giving the shop a call to ask about the carb settings to avoid running the saw too lean. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the quick responses. I did buy the saw from one of the local Echo dealers. It is the same shop I bought the stove from. After much researching, I found the most common response about buying a saw included two parts - 1. Buy from a local shop 2. Develop a good relationship with them. They have a great shop, I have had everything from lawn mowers to chainsaws serviced there and never had an issue. The techs helping me have always been patient and knowledgeable. They even put on a basic how-to class on servicing your own small engine.
Couple more questions...
I intend to use Echo/Shindaiwa oil and I have a low-temp bar oil for cutting during the winter here in Alaska. But where do I find non-ethanol gas?

I will be giving the shop a call to ask about the carb settings to avoid running the saw too lean. Thanks for the tip.

Check at a marina for non-ethanol gas.

Couple more questions...

This is by far the easiest saw to mm. Remove the deflector screws, screen and pull the "tube" out. Replace screen and deflector. Well worth the little effort.

Couple more questions...

I thought all your pump gas in alaska was non ethanol? From a survival issue, can't have folks stranded out with a borked sled in east moose droppings ya know...

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Just started looking at new saws and this is one that caught my eye. How have they worked out for those that have more than a few hours on them?
does the muffler mod require some re-jetting of the carb?

Just started looking at new saws and this is one that caught my eye. How have they worked out for those that have more than a few hours on them?

Factory jets will be fine. You MUST adjust the carb after the MM. Just keep the outer hole (that your going to enlarge less than 80% of the exhaust port on the jug. Then adjust the high speed jet till it 4-strokes out of the wood, and just cleans up in the cut. It's imperative that you do not run it too lean. If it sound like its revving higher than it started out, richening it up. QUICK!

Husqvarna 3120XP Carb Adjustment.wmv - YouTube

Video provided by our own BLSnelling.

Cs500p

No problems, lightest 50cc pro saw out there, running 20" Oregon Prolite with 72LP chain and it works well. I don't like the spring assist starter -no need for it- so I installed a roll pin to defeat that. Note that bar selection is limited unless you buy the Echo versions, but you can use the Oregon K041 mount with a slight mod for oiling.

Echo CS-500EVL Question

I hate to come in on the back of this thread, but I just got in for restoration a vintage Echo CS-500EVL, circa 1991 I believe but not sure. Almost all metal, it weighs about 14 lb dry. Clean as a whistle. I have two questions:

(1) What is the displacement of the 500EVL? About 54cc?

I have a spark and excellent compression, checked the cylinder/piston and the rings are even in great shape. Still won't pop. It fires and burns a teaspoon of fuel that I drop into the combustion chamber but dies quickly. Fuel filter and line seem fine. Carb settings have no effect. Can't get a pop on choke to save my neck.

(2) Any suggestions for a potential quick fix?

I hate to come in on the back of this thread, but I just got in for restoration a vintage Echo CS-500EVL, circa 1991 I believe but not sure. Almost all metal, it weighs about 14 lb dry. Clean as a whistle. I have two questions:

(1) What is the displacement of the 500EVL? About 54cc?

I have a spark and excellent compression, checked the cylinder/piston and the rings are even in great shape. Still won't pop. It fires and burns a teaspoon of fuel that I drop into the combustion chamber but dies quickly. Fuel filter and line seem fine. Carb settings have no effect. Can't get a pop on choke to save my neck.

(2) Any suggestions for a potential quick fix?

You'll get more info if you start a new thread with the model and Help in the topic. Some friendly knowledgable folks around.

Edit; clean the carb. Might as well pick up a kit for it. Go ahead and replace the fuel lines & filter too.

Last edited:
Check the impulse line or hose also, I'd bet on a stiff diaphram in the carb or carb gunked up. Steve

Thanks a lot, Steve. I kind of hated to start a new Echo 500 thread. I suspected the carb also. Looks like at least a $100 fix. Finding working parts for these saws is almost imposiible.

I've already checked the impulse hose. It's in good shape. I thought I'd first try fuel squirted into the carb intake in order to revive it. My experience with carb diaphragms and messing with carbs in general is that once you mess with them, they get worse. :msp_unsure:

Thanks a lot, Steve. I kind of hated to start a new Echo 500 thread. I suspected the carb also. Looks like at least a $100 fix. Finding working parts for these saws is almost imposiible.

I've already checked the impulse hose. It's in good shape. I thought I'd first try fuel squirted into the carb intake in order to revive it. My experience with carb diaphragms and messing with carbs in general is that once you mess with them, they get worse. :msp_unsure:

I have read that soaking a diaphragm in brake fluid for 2 or 3 days will revive them. I never tried it.

Why a 100 buck fix? Get the carb off, get the number, order the kit by make/model of carb. Pay attention to which bits go where. Clean it out good with carb cleaner, and the little screen inside is sorta critical. New lines, etc. Should be under 20 total, not 100.

Latest posts

Back