Echo- Cs-530

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Echo CS-400 that I have limited time in the wood with, but it starts easy and runs like a top. I also have a MS260 with adjustable carb that I paid $499 for brand new. To me even though I think that Echo makes a great product, $435 is pretty close to what I paid for my Stihl which may be a better built saw IMHO.

ECHO in white letters on a orange background, hells teeth I just about threw up at the thought, quite a sleek look in the blurb pic but big pity the motor'll be anemic and gutless as per for echo...

Hey Red,

What kind of case does it have?

Charlie

Same layout as the 520, and 510 before it.

Metal case, that holds the engine assembly.

And as before, no one can provide any proof that the clamshell design, with the seals and bearings encased in the all metal block, that is bolted to the metal case, is in any way shape or form BAD. It simplifies the saws design and assembly, and makes any repairs less invasive and time consuming. When a bearing goes out in a 440, how long does it take you to replace BOTH crank bearings and BOTH crank seals and produce a running saw? What special costly tools are required? With the Echo method you simply unbolt the carb and muffler, remove the flywheel...remove the cylinder screws, and lift out the engine. Remove the case shell, remove the bearings and seals, slide on new bearings and seals, put the cap on, and drop it all back in...

If a bearings fails catastrophically, and eats into the case...on a STIHL, you are SOL. However on an Echo, you need only replace the cylidner and shell.

Keep in mind here that the acclaimed Husky 350 isnt nearly as robust as the Echo design, With Husky simply mounting the metal jug to the plastic case, with the seals and bearings mounted to the plastic case, and Ive never heard of any problems with even THAT deisign with regular use.

Im just saying, you may not like they way ECHO does it...but you cant prove it is inferior to the way Stihl does it, you can only offer opinion.

I find it interesting that Echo is one of the most respected names in the trimmer market, yet they get no respect in the chainsaw market.
We've had Echo trimmers for decades and they never gave us a moment of trouble. The same goes for the Echo leafblower I just bought. It runs stronger and stronger the more I use it and always starts on the 2nd pull.
I just might have to consider an Echo saw when my old 021 finally wears out.

Keep in mind here that the acclaimed Husky 350 isnt nearly as robust as the Echo design, With Husky simply mounting the metal jug to the plastic case, with the seals and bearings mounted to the plastic case, and Ive never heard of any problems with even THAT deisign with regular use.

QUOTE]

There seem to be more and more reports of muffler bolts stripping, mufflers falling off, and cases melting on the Husqvarna 350s. I wouldn't buy one, and wouldn't recommend one.

And thats a darn shame. Ive heard the same about some Stihl and Husky reps, they do exist, and Im sad to say that Echo has them too as you experienced.

A rep is just that. They represent the brand, the products, and the people who stand behind them...to have one that is so deep in the business and doesnt know if the new saw is a new or old engine...sad.

We have more on order, Ill uh...pop off a muffler cap and take a peak at the piston. 1 ring = Vortex, 2 rings = Tornado, its that simple.

What did you think of the new loop handle?

Wasnt knocking Echo because of the rep, there was a dornick in the Stihl trailer when I was there also, like a high buck actor type. Husky by the way, had a woods type fellow who knew the saws and was a pleasure to talk to as did Dolmar.

I have spent some time with a 520 and it is a lot better saw than the Echo basher lore a person reads on here most of the time. I would buy another one without reservation. Not sure if I am easy on saws or easy to please or both but it's hard for me to knock a saw that does everything it is supposed to do every time it is called upon. I liked the 530 but need to search hard for a reason to buy another 50CC saw when I have 3 now. My CS-370 is among my favorites, does the 530 have the same air cleaner set up as the 370-400?

Same layout as the 520, and 510 before it.

Metal case, that holds the engine assembly.

And as before, no one can provide any proof that the clamshell design, with the seals and bearings encased in the all metal block, that is bolted to the metal case, is in any way shape or form BAD. It simplifies the saws design and assembly, and makes any repairs less invasive and time consuming. When a bearing goes out in a 440, how long does it take you to replace BOTH crank bearings and BOTH crank seals and produce a running saw? What special costly tools are required? With the Echo method you simply unbolt the carb and muffler, remove the flywheel...remove the cylinder screws, and lift out the engine. Remove the case shell, remove the bearings and seals, slide on new bearings and seals, put the cap on, and drop it all back in...

If a bearings fails catastrophically, and eats into the case...on a STIHL, you are SOL. However on an Echo, you need only replace the cylidner and shell.

Im just saying, you may not like they way ECHO does it...but you cant prove it is inferior to the way Stihl does it, you can only offer opinion.

All-right, you have me convinced. Send a new Echo CS-530 on over and I'll run a few cords and send it back. As payment for use of the saw, I'll write an objective honest opinion on how it did.

I have next year's fire wood to get ready and some of it has been seasoning for a few months now. Should be able to give it a good workout.

Please send non-safety chain and an 18" bar.:)

Thanks.

Wasnt knocking Echo because of the rep, there was a dornick in the Stihl trailer when I was there also, like a high buck actor type. Husky by the way, had a woods type fellow who knew the saws and was a pleasure to talk to as did Dolmar.

I have spent some time with a 520 and it is a lot better saw than the Echo basher lore a person reads on here most of the time. I would buy another one without reservation. Not sure if I am easy on saws or easy to please or both but it's hard for me to knock a saw that does everything it is supposed to do every time it is called upon. I liked the 530 but need to search hard for a reason to buy another 50CC saw when I have 3 now. My CS-370 is among my favorites, does the 530 have the same air cleaner set up as the 370-400?

Sadly, when I talked to a Stihl rep at the Eastern Outdoor Sportman's show a couple of years ago, he really didn't know his professional chainsaw product line very well at all.

I have a Echo CS-400 that I have limited time in the wood with, but it starts easy and runs like a top. I also have a MS260 with adjustable carb that I paid $499 for brand new. To me even though I think that Echo makes a great product, $435 is pretty close to what I paid for my Stihl which may be a better built saw IMHO.
That gets right to the meat of the problem. The Stihl MS 260 Pro can be obtained for a little more than the Echo CS-400. It's thus senseless to buy the Echo CS-400 unless you're broke or the nearest Stihl dealer is 200 miles away.

Echo has to beat the Stihl MS 260 price with the CS-520. If they cannot do that, it's toast. Meanwhile, add another $200 to the kitty and
Stihl MS 361 Rocks!

I picked up one of those CS-400's this summer and bought a couple Woodsman Pro loops for it. Never had an Echo before but after about the first 5 tanks of gas its power increased every tank for quite a while. Never did adjust the carb either, still set to the factory setting. Doesn't cut quite as fast as our Husky 350, but not a hell of a lot of difference though. It will however cut longer than anything else we've had on a tankful.

Just my observations.

Anyone have any real experience with the Echo CS-530?

The Echo CS-400's are a $300 dollar saw here at our dealer but the CS-530's are at the $400 dollar price point. I can get a Dolmar 5100s for 420...why buy the Echo?

Our local dealers mechanic of some 25 years in the Chain saw industry says that those Echo's may not be the fastest saws in their respective displacement classes, BUT they will out last anything on the Market. Even Stihl's. He claim's they last way better than they look.

the only thing i will ever buy echo again is their blowers...new design is lipstick on a pig.

I don't own any Japanese saws, but I will say they have always made some well designed 2 stroke motors. Shinny and tanaka come too mind for brush cutters. Both excellent and highly reliable. :cheers:

I don't own any Japanese saws, but I will say they have always made some well designed 2 stroke motors. Shinny and tanaka come too mind for brush cutters. Both excellent and highly reliable. :cheers:

I hate to say it but there ain't a darn thing wrong with most Japanese engines. When we need a small engine replacement the only thing we even look at any more is Honda. Fast starts, durability, efficiency, quiet, can't ask for much more, I just wish it was American.

Can't stop any Echo trimmers :), though I do wish my top handled Echo was a rear handle! Not powerful, but starts easy and runs smooooooooth.:clap:

l like my Echo strimmer, and have no doubt that The japs make a good lil saw, but not a chance in hell they will ever make the power of a Husqvarna or Dolmar or Stihl. Longevity? They have a good record on the trimmers and such, and possibly saws, but most of us know whats best, and the sales numbers speak for themselves. ;)

We've been running quite a few peices of Echo power equipment for about 5 years now. This includes a garden tiller, leaf blower, string trimmer, CS-360T, CS-510, and CS-670. All of these peices of equipments are dead solid reliable, and have given us ZERO trouble.

The CS-510 is an excellent saw. We use and prefer an 18" bar on it, .325. It will pull 20", but is much happier with the smaller bar. It's quite a limbing saw with a 16" bar.

The CS-510 is not overly powerful, but decent. It doesn't cut quite as fast as a Husqvarna 55, but enjoys a broader and smoother power band, and "grunts" just a bit better. I can fault the CS-510 in no area, and it will cut a LOT of wood on a tank of fuel, more than any other saw in our line-up.

I no longer have a good "connection" at Echo to get the opportunity to test out their saws. I am curious is the new 530 has any more power than the 510's/520's. I would also like to know if it has a catalyst muffler, and rev limiter? Two features of our CS-360T that I'm not very fond of. I actually cut the muffler in half and removed the catalyst and opened it up some, BIG wake-up call for that saw!.......Cliff

We've been running quite a few peices of Echo power equipment for about 5 years now. This includes a garden tiller, leaf blower, string trimmer, CS-360T, CS-510, and CS-670. All of these peices of equipments are dead solid reliable, and have given us ZERO trouble.

The CS-510 is an excellent saw. We use and prefer an 18" bar on it, .325. It will pull 20", but is much happier with the smaller bar. It's quite a limbing saw with a 16" bar.

The CS-510 is not overly powerful, but decent. It doesn't cut quite as fast as a Husqvarna 55, but enjoys a broader and smoother power band, and "grunts" just a bit better. I can fault the CS-510 in no area, and it will cut a LOT of wood on a tank of fuel, more than any other saw in our line-up.

I no longer have a good "connection" at Echo to get the opportunity to test out their saws. I am curious is the new 530 has any more power than the 510's/520's. I would also like to know if it has a catalyst muffler, and rev limiter? Two features of our CS-360T that I'm not very fond of. I actually cut the muffler in half and removed the catalyst and opened it up some, BIG wake-up call for that saw!.......Cliff
Last time I did a timed cut in big oak, my CS510 took 22 seconds CS440 25 seconds Rancher 55 30 seconds but the 55 had 3/8 7tooth then, I switched it to a 325 setup which really helped, now it's a little ahead of my CS440 and a little behind my CS510 The CS510 and Rancher55 are stock, the CS440 has a little muffler mod . Steve

Latest posts

Back