Echo CS-590 clutch locked up-damaged-repairable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterpetro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings. My first post is to ask about a possibly damaged Echo CS-590 that got pinched in a tree- then took a tumble when the tree finally fell. So it is possible that the tree torqued the bar and seriously jammed the clutch. The clutch brake handle was also broken in the fall. Thanks in advance for any advice. See attached pic.

Attachments

• IMG_8599 (1).jpg
    IMG_8599 (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
U would have to remove clip and sprocket and see what underneath .
broken spring, sawdust build up, etc

It looks like the brake is currently engaged. You said the brake handle was broken in the fall (and it is missing in the picture you posted). The lever which engages the brake band looks like it is flipped forward, which would mean tension on the band to keep the clutch drum from moving. You could take some pliers or similar and rotate the lever back to disengage the brake band. This would be doing the same thing that happens when you pull back on the brake handle to disengage the brake. If the brake handle is not broken too badly, the handle could also possibly be used to disengage the brake.
See the lever within the red circle and rotate back as shown in the photo.

So, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the clutch on the saw.

1642517020653.png

Attachments

• Echo CS590 clutch lever.PNG
    Echo CS590 clutch lever.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
It looks like the brake is currently engaged. You said the brake handle was broken in the fall (and it is missing in the picture you posted). The lever which engages the brake band looks like it is flipped forward, which would mean tension on the band to keep the clutch drum from moving. You could take some pliers or similar and rotate the lever back to disengage the brake band. This would be doing the same thing that happens when you pull back on the brake handle to disengage the brake. If the brake handle is not broken too badly, the handle could also possibly be used to disengage the brake.
See the lever within the red circle and rotate back as shown in the photo.

So, I suspect there is nothing wrong with the clutch on the saw.

View attachment 957216
Thanks for the reply! The lever has a lot of resistance. I'm concerned about putting that much force on it with a plier and snapping it. I purchased a new clutch handle, but I need to get the bushings (on order) to install it properly. ---Maybe I'm babying it too much?

Thanks for the reply! The lever has a lot of resistance. I'm concerned about putting that much force on it with a plier and snapping it. I purchased a new clutch handle, but I need to get the bushings (on order) to install it properly. ---Maybe I'm babying it too much?
GOT IT! Rigged the new handle and got the brake to release. Everything seems OK! Thanks for all your help!!

Fight with it, and release the brake. You'll have to to replace the handle anyway......at least you can release the drum, and get a look see behind. Those are tough saws. I seriously doubt its anything more than a brake handle..........and you'll need to check that bar. Good Luck.

Fight with it, and release the brake. You'll have to to replace the handle anyway......at least you can release the drum, and get a look see behind. Those are tough saws. I seriously doubt its anything more than a brake handle..........and you'll need to check that bar. Good Luck.
Thanks. Got the brake released, removed the sprocket-clutch was not damaged. Reassembled and ran it, sprocket dose not wobble and the oiler is still working so I dodged a bullet on this one.

I have an Echo cs 400, Echo cs 590, Echo 440 evl, Mac 3-25, Mac 120, Mac 610, Husky 444se, Husky Rancher 50, Rancher 55, Husky 455, Homelite XL 12 Super Auto x 2, Homelite XL 102, Homelite Super EZ and a few newer little plastic saws not worth mentioning. The new Echos (misp?) are built just as well and are as reliable and sturdy as my older saws. And that's saying a lot!

Same thing happened to a tree service company here. They released the brake and still use the saw without the broken off brake handle. Parts would be about $50 to fix it completely, but the owner says, "We can live without the chain brake. Just get me a new bar." Heck, that 20" bar/chain cost them $80, but the saw is back in service. To each his own.

Latest posts

Back