Echo CS400 vs CS490

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbiscuit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
looking to buy my first chainsaw. I want to get one more than I need to grow into it, but not overkill. I have some other Echo equipment that I like, but more importantly, I like the dealer. So, my main question is whether the 490 is a “better” saw for the money, and whether a storage/carrying case is important.

I can get the 400 with the “value pack” (case, hat, and a thing of bar oil) for 325ish...or...

I can get the 490 for about 305ish out the door.

Looking at reviews on (too) MANY sites, the 400 gets great reviews. The 490 seems to my inexperienced/uneducated etes to be the better deal and it gets good reviews, but it just gets less reviews.

So I turn to AS fir guidance. I have looked at Husky and Stihl, but the price on the Echos are nicer and my dealer is Echo. Thanks.

I have both. If I had to pick only one, it would be the 490. Do a quick easy muffler mod, retune carb and let the chips fly. The 490 will do almost anything you ask. As to a case, my reasoning is this, if you spend the money on a deer rifle, do you put it in a case or throw it in the bed of the truck, imho.

Go with the 490, the other stuff was added to the price on the 400, can be had cheaper without the hat and case. Both will last you a long time, but the 490 has a lot more cc' s than the 400 for the price. When I got my 400, it came with a nice big case, free for 299.00, of course the saw hasn't been in the case for years.

Steve

I can't speak to the difference between the two saws as I haven't used either.

The case depends upon whether you take the saw to different places than your property. I do services for people in my church. I found that the case keeps the basic tools organized and helps me not misplace or confuse my tools in addition to protecting my saw. If I want doing that, I wouldn't have bought the case.

My dad saw my case and wanted to get one but when i asked where he goes with his saw, he understood immediately what i meant.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

490 pro type construction, better power stock and ported.

400 is a clamshell design, think they went to plastic case too.

Not much weight difference either if I remember right

490 would be my choice hands down.

On a good balance scale ready to cut a CS400 is 13# even and a CS490 is a bit over 14 1/2# Either one is a great saw but the CS400 cuts real close to the CS490, putting a .325 NK bar and chain or a 3/8 lp off a CS400 would really help the CS490. Steve

I'm of the same mind as Dahmer - I don't bother with the rifle case either.

https://www.amazon.com/Echo-9998880...1524662209&sr=8-1&keywords=echo+equipment+hat
And like Steve said, they built the price of the "freebies" into the sale price of the total package.

So that CS-400 would really be around $280 by itself. So, when comparing apples to apples, (just the saws) for an added $25 you're getting pro construction (magnesium housing with bolt-on cylinder, not a clam shell engine on a plastic frame) and the engine on the 490 is 10cc larger. It's a no brainer to me - get the 490.

Both are good but the 490 is a better all-around saw. More power gives you more options. Both have great reviews.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

No bad choices with those two. Imo cases end up taking needed space but they are nice if you are storing your saw for an extended period. Everything is in one place and they catch any possible oil drip. For me a harbor freight ammo can holds everything I need. I think you may be able to work with the dealer and get safety gear with the 490. Don't leave there without a hard hat and chaps.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to get it tomorrow. I am excited.

A few things I am confused on:
1) Dahmer, as to your first reply with the deer rifle reference...are you saying yes get a case or no, because it should be out and being used?
2) I understand from many sites that the Echos should be "muff modded" and re-tuned, or even ported. I don't know what these things even mean?
3) What do the spikes do on the saw?
4) Is there a chainsawing 101 I should check out for basics (not how to use - I got that, but for the questions above)?

EE7DD978-D8BB-4892-8793-3BDE195697D5.jpeg
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going to get it tomorrow. I am excited.

A few things I am confused on:
1) Dahmer, as to your first reply with the deer rifle reference...are you saying yes get a case or no, because it should be out and being used?
2) I understand from many sites that the Echos should be "muff modded" and re-tuned, or even ported. I don't know what these things even mean?
3) What do the spikes do on the saw?
4) Is there a chainsawing 101 I should check out for basics (not how to use - I got that, but for the questions above)?
The pic should answer your question about a case. Search YouTube for Echo 490 muffler mod, it’s the easiest mod there is. Also search YouTube how to remove the limiter caps on the carb. And once again, YouTube for how to tune a chainsaw. The spikes are your pivot point for controlling the saw as it cuts thru the wood. Congrats on your purchase, the 490 is a great saw for the money. If you have any questions after seeing the vids you can PM me.

I have a 490 and a 400.
The 490 is a professional grade saw, with a few parts made of plastic instead of metal to meet a certain homeowner price point.
It does just fine with a 20" bar, but will be even stronger with shorter bars.
the 400 is entirely a homeowner saw, plastic clamshell and not nearly as powerful.
I really don't need the 400, I just got a great deal on it and couldn't refuse, however, I don't bring it with me when scrounging.
The 490 and both 590's are my lineup. FB_IMG_1524703650199.jpg
It depends on how much wood you cut, I burn about six cords a year, and prefer the big trees most people pass up when scrounging

Dahmer, I'm an idiot. I didn't put it together that the cases-galore picture was you...

Thanks for the recommendations. I can find the mod vids no problem, but I just don't know what they exactly do...I will check out the videos; perhaps they answer my questions.

If the vids don’t help just ask, most people on this site are very helpful.

Tell the dealer you'll buy the 490 if he throws in the hat. He probably will because the hats will still be there when the promotion is over.

I generally sell those cases on Ebay to guys with OCD. They usually pay pretty good money for them and it cuts the cost of buying a new saw. I usually have better used bars laying around also so the new bar and chains usually go up for sale also.

I throw all my screnches in my cutting box. Which is just a cheap toolbox that holds all my stuff for in the woods. I grab the saws and the toolbox whenever I go cutting.

Back