Echo cs490 vs poulan pro 5020av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I use a saw maybe twice a year camping firewood. A job or two a year and just messing around . I also have a ms170 14 inch. The echo is light I want that but the price difference is quiet a bit for me. The poulans seem to make a mess if you start it and idle for a few mins leaves a cup of bar oil on the ground. I can get a echo 329 or the poulan for 175 which would you do? The saw will sit most of the time with tru fuel are the poulans have crappy fuel lines and carbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Echo will have way more quality, cut faster and is a lot lighter but for twice a year the Poulan should be just fine. Which ever you get use gas without ethanol and add some Stabil or seafoam. I'm not a big believer of running saws dry as I think there will still be a little gas left in the carb that will gunk up for sure. Steve

Based on your requirements, it sounds like the Poulan might make sense for you.

Alternatively, you could buy the Echo, sell off the near-useless (in my experience) MS170, and come out ahead - a good saw at a good net price. The Echo will do everything the MS170 will do, plus things it won't do. The Echo with a 16" bar should be a great for all kinds of trimming, for firewood, for storm clean-up, and for other tasks, and should be a pretty solid runner with that bar length.

Do you think a poulan 5020 50cc makes more hp then a husqvarna 440 41cc?
Heck I have no idea - the engine architectures are very different especially in regard to the transfers. Plus you've got marketing/branding/product positioning issues between the Poulan Pro and Husqvarna lines that my skew what would or should be logical.

Still, it's 50cc vs 40cc, which is 25% larger, so if I was going to modify it for power I'd pick the 5020. Although I think the full 3/8 chain on the 5020 would handicap it somewhat.

I would not buy a echo. They start easy and always run good when tuned rite. They are easy to se during any season cause they are orange. Echo sucks air and fuel and does its job without a argument.
Guess I would buy a echo I owned 2 of them and they are good saws not the best not the worst but they last a long time with everyday use

Lowes had? has? the Poulan 5020 on closeout for $99.00. Someone here reported getting a 5020 display model at Lowes for $30.00. TSC had the Poulan 4818 (same engine as the 5020) on clearance for $99.00. For your limited use I think the 5020 would serve you just fine. I'm also a fan of using both Sta-Bil (get the Marine formula if you can) and Seafoam (some call it snakeoil, I figure it won't hurt as long as the mix has enough oil).

I've tried to add Poulan saws to my line-up several times in the past, and every single time without any exception it has been a complete DISASTER. Not sure if I got "seconds", or they just plain hated me. I even bought a "re-badged" Husqvarna/Poulan once and didn't know it was made by Poulan, and that saw was by far and above the biggest POS I ever owned.

Echo products have been just the opposite, dead solid reliable and long service life with little to no issues anyplace. Sure, some are "turds" for power to weight ratio, but they are breaking ground in that area, and some of the newer Echo stuff is excellent for power to weight.

Anyhow, bottom line and IMHO, get the Echo and never look back.......Cliff

I even bought a "re-badged" Husqvarna/Poulan once and didn't know it was made by Poulan, and that saw was by far and above the biggest POS I ever owned.
IIRC that was a 141? My 142 is basically the same and it's been a wonderful saw. Different people have different experiences I guess.

Lowes had? has? the Poulan 5020 on closeout for $99.00. Someone here reported getting a 5020 display model at Lowes for $30.00. TSC had the Poulan 4818 (same engine as the 5020) on clearance for $99.00. For your limited use I think the 5020 would serve you just fine. I'm also a fan of using both Sta-Bil (get the Marine formula if you can) and Seafoam (some call it snakeoil, I figure it won't hurt as long as the mix has enough oil).

My lowes had them for 189 only 10 bucks off clearence. Not sure about tractor supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tsc in Canada regularly has the 4818 on sale for 100 Canadian pesos ($69 in Uncle Sams money).

Every Poulan I've been around, mostly cheaper ones wont hold a tune. Tune it good and next time you start it it's out of tune. Plus how can anyone compare the quality of a Echo to the lack of quality of a Poulan. Plus a 5020 is over 12# and a Echo cs500 is 10 1/2. Really no comparison except the Poulan is cheap. Steve

Every Poulan I've been around, mostly cheaper ones wont hold a tune. Tune it good and next time you start it it's out of tune.
Mine hold a tune just fine. And of course they should hold a tune just the same as any other saw, as they use the same Walbro and ZAMA carbs everyone else does. There's simply nothing unusual about the fuel systems, other than complaints about fuel lines (I have not experienced this).

Plus how can anyone compare the quality of a Echo to the lack of quality of a Poulan. Plus a 5020 is over 12# and a Echo cs500 is 10 1/2. Really no comparison except the Poulan is cheap. Steve
As was pointed out up thread, this is a problematic comparison as it's comparing a split construction alloy case saw to a plastic clamshell at a much lower price.

That said, there are no significant materials or construction quality differences between plastic clamshell homeowner saws from Echo or Poulan (or Stihl or Husqvarna for that matter) - they are all using similar materials and construction techniques with only minor differences. There are technology differences though, as Echo is ten years behind Poulan and still using a cat and compromised port timing while Poulan uses strato.

I would not buy a echo. They start easy and always run good when tuned rite. They are easy to se during any season cause they are orange. Echo sucks air and fuel and does its job without a argument.
Guess I would buy a echo I owned 2 of them and they are good saws not the best not the worst but they last a long time with everyday use
o_O

Latest posts

Back