Echo CS5000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larrh7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've had a Echo CS 5000 that I bought new for a few years. Anyone have any tips on how to make it run good. I had a MaC Pro Mac 650 that I wore out and it was a real wood cutter. Still have a old 700 that cuts like crazy. It is older and has the manual oiler that I hate. This Echo I have is hard to start and seems to lack power. I wish I had never bought it and went with a Stihl. My buddy has a Woods Boss 029 and it is a great saw. Cuts circles around the Echo. :mad:

I've had a Echo CS 5000 that I bought new for a few years. Anyone have any tips on how to make it run good. I had a MaC Pro Mac 650 that I wore out and it was a real wood cutter. Still have a old 700 that cuts like crazy. It is older and has the manual oiler that I hate. This Echo I have is hard to start and seems to lack power. I wish I had never bought it and went with a Stihl. My buddy has a Woods Boss 029 and it is a great saw. Cuts circles around the Echo. :mad:

If everyone bought a Stihl then this site would about fade into history.There would be so little to discuss between different saw makes. Welcome to the site and some of the Echo fellas will try to help you out. How many hours of run time do you think is on your 5000?

Pioneerguy600

Those macs do not ever dispose of them they are mint saws

some american heritage in them as well

I have the carb adjusted properly. Not sure about how to open up the muffler. What do you do drill holes in it like I've read about here? The compression should be fine. The saw has very few hours on it and I bought it new. I've been cutting wood for since I was a boy and I'm 57 now. I've never had a problem with maintaining a saw. This one just seems to lack power. I also have a problem sharpening the chain. I normally use my file and/or drummel tool. The Mac and the Stihl sharpen up and cut good. For some reason I can't get this chain right. Do tell me how to open that muffler though. I'll try anything.
Check the compression at least 135#
Open up the muffler
Adjust the carb properly
Make sure the filter is clean.

With that done those 2 saws should be close. Steve

Mac

Those macs do not ever dispose of them they are mint saws

some american heritage in them as well

I won't get rid of this 700 Mac. My brother gave it to me and it is old but has low hours. He very seldom used it since he had this 555 (I think that is the model). He liked that one best. Said the 700 was a monster lol. Well it is for sure. I just have small hands and the oil pump is hard to reach for me.

He gave me that 555 also. I can't get it to run. Has spark and fuel. For some reason it won't go. Any idea? It sat for a few years but so did the 700. It took right off after cleaning it up and putting in fresh fuel and new plug.

Wish I'd have Kept that Pro Mac 650. The oil pump quit and couldn't get a new one after looking for months. Gave it to a friend and bought the Echo. I cut a lot of wood with that 650. Don't think this Echo is nearly the saw.

hours

If everyone bought a Stihl then this site would about fade into history.There would be so little to discuss between different saw makes. Welcome to the site and some of the Echo fellas will try to help you out. How many hours of run time do you think is on your 5000?

Pioneerguy600

Not many. I should look up the reciept when I bought it new. Must be like 5-6 years old. I haven't ran it a lot since it don't cut real good. Been using this old Mac and that Stihl my cousin lets me use. The Stihl is a great saw. Really cuts well. The Mac and Stihl are easy to maintain. Just blow them down after each use. Clean the filter up good. That Echo seems to catch more and saw dust. I don't like the auto type filter either. You have to clean it very good after each use. Plugs fast and easy.

Hope people on here can help me out with it. One more thing I see the local Stihl dealer has those 250's on sale. I can use a good smaller saw for limbs and small stuff. Is that a good saw?Looks like a good little saw for the money.

larrh, that 700 has an auto oiler. chances are it's either plugged or the moving parts are stuck. there are a few threads here that explain on how to get it working again. that way your thumb doesn't have to do all that work.:)those mac 700's are awsome saws.:cheers:

larrh7,

you have a couple of options here. The cheapest one, by far, is to go buy yourself a brand new Stihl 290 and never look back.

Of the saws you mention, the 5000 is at a displacement disadvantage. It is a 50cc machine where the MAC 650 is 60cc, the Stihl 290 is 56cc and the MAC 700 is 70cc. Obviously it will have a bit less snap than the others based on just engine size. I realize that the 5000 is physically about the same size as the other saws, but that is not what matters. I have a 5000 apart in my shop right now. I usually dont bother with Echos, but I have to admit that this saw is constructed pretty well. Since it has a bolt-on cylinder, it will not be very difficult to extract more power in the correct hands. Starting with a muffler mod would be a good idea. WARNING should you choose to skip the first option, you will become addicted to chainsaws and spend several times the cost of the new 290 in less than a year. You choose. An experienced saw modder could easily make that 5000 cut with your MAC 650, and probably near the 700. You can probably get halfway there yourself if you read alot, and take your time. Good luck. I bet you have a dozen saws by next summer.

As mentioned the 5000 is a smaller saw than the 029. The Echo CS5000 is a very well made saw. Stock it feels a little underpowered perhaps, but has a lot of pulling power in the cut.

If you want a new saw you won't be happy unless you get one. If you want to unload the Echo shoot me a PM.

If you want to get more power out of the Echo that is easy to do.

Clean or replace the air filter. This makes a big difference on this saw.

Muffler mod. From simple added hole to extreme gut and new deflector. Unless you port it the simple added hole is plenty.

Adjust squish. The Echo CS-5000's I've worked on all had lot of room to increase compression this way in just a few minutes.

Port job. A little port work will really wake this saw up. Proper porting moves the power band into much higher RPM's on this saw. Torque will be even better.

I've worked over a few CS-5000's and CS-4600's. They are some of my favorite saws. Bullet proof construction all the way around, they run forever and take a lot of abuse. Very powerful with basic mod work. You can easily set that 5000 up to outcut an 029

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks

larrh, that 700 has an auto oiler. chances are it's either plugged or the moving parts are stuck. there are a few threads here that explain on how to get it working again. that way your thumb doesn't have to do all that work.:)those mac 700's are awsome saws.:cheers:

I'll have to call my brother and see what is up. I see the oiler plunger and have been plunging it when I cut. Wow just like the old days. My dad had an old Clinton I learned to cut with. He was a huge man and all I can remember is you had to be a man to put it in the truck. I could hardly lift it but boy would the chips ever fly. I'll check out these threats to thanks.

Just called my brother and he says it has an auto oiler. The manual button is just to give it a good soaking if you want. Checked some threads on here and they said the same. I'd like to post a picture of this 700 but can't figure out how. When I try it says it is to big or exceeds the limit. I think you would love to see this saw it looks almost like new. I'm thrilled that I found out about the auto oiler. Thanks a bunch.

Last edited:
muffler mod.

As mentioned the 5000 is a smaller saw than the 029. The Echo CS5000 is a very well made saw. Stock it feels a little underpowered perhaps, but has a lot of pulling power in the cut.

If you want a new saw you won't be happy unless you get one. If you want to unload the Echo shoot me a PM.

If you want to get more power out of the Echo that is easy to do.

Clean or replace the air filter. This makes a big difference on this saw.

Muffler mod. From simple added hole to extreme gut and new deflector. Unless you port it the simple added hole is plenty.

Adjust squish. The Echo CS-5000's I've worked on all had lot of room to increase compression this way in just a few minutes.

Port job. A little port work will really wake this saw up. Proper porting moves the power band into much higher RPM's on this saw. Torque will be even better.

I've worked over a few CS-5000's and CS-4600's. They are some of my favorite saws. Bullet proof construction all the way around, they run forever and take a lot of abuse. Very powerful with basic mod work. You can easily set that 5000 up to outcut an 029

I checked out my receipt and I bought this saw in Dec. 2001. Older than what I though. I did that looking up cc's and figured it was undersized compaired to my 650. When I bought it I told the guy I wanted an Echo the same size as my 650 Mac. Well he sold me this 5000 with a 20 inch bar. I think it should only have a 16 on it. I take good care of my stuff and it looks like new. Haven't used it a whole lot either. You guys are good I can say that much. I'll start witht he muffler job. I tried to take it off yesterday and don't have a socket long and thin enough to go down into that hole in the muffler where that bolt is. It is one of those hexed headed bolts it looks like. I have an extension but it is to big around to go down in the hole. Checked out the parts manual and I can see where it is and can see it down there. I'm going to have to figure out what size that hex socket is I need and get a long one. I asume you have to take the muffler off to drill the hole in it. Am I right about this? If I can figure out how to get a picture on here of this Cherry looking Echo I will post it.

stihl saws

larrh7,

you have a couple of options here. The cheapest one, by far, is to go buy yourself a brand new Stihl 290 and never look back.

Of the saws you mention, the 5000 is at a displacement disadvantage. It is a 50cc machine where the MAC 650 is 60cc, the Stihl 290 is 56cc and the MAC 700 is 70cc. Obviously it will have a bit less snap than the others based on just engine size. I realize that the 5000 is physically about the same size as the other saws, but that is not what matters. I have a 5000 apart in my shop right now. I usually dont bother with Echos, but I have to admit that this saw is constructed pretty well. Since it has a bolt-on cylinder, it will not be very difficult to extract more power in the correct hands. Starting with a muffler mod would be a good idea. WARNING should you choose to skip the first option, you will become addicted to chainsaws and spend several times the cost of the new 290 in less than a year. You choose. An experienced saw modder could easily make that 5000 cut with your MAC 650, and probably near the 700. You can probably get halfway there yourself if you read alot, and take your time. Good luck. I bet you have a dozen saws by next summer.

I thought this Echo was well built. You can tell by looking at it. The air filter is a mistake. I've read other guys have trouble with that auto style plugging.
You're right about those Stihl saws. I was into the dealer today to get my chains sharpened. I gave up on trying my self. I mentioned in an earlier post I cant seem to get this Echo chain sharpened right so it cuts good. I have sharpened my Macs and the Stihl chain with a file and a drummel tool for years. They cut perfect when I'm done. This Echo chain must be different.
Your right though to about getting a new one. I was checking out those new Stihl saw and was slobbering all over ha ha. The reason I bought a Echo was the Stihl dealer here is kind of a ass. He was that way then so I bought the Echo. Today when I took the chains in to get sharpened it was like I was doing him a favor to get off his but and help me. They are having a big sale next weekend called "Sawdust Days". I'll go back than and see if they have some sales on them. I doubt it they never have Stihls on sale. :cry:

i will be more then happy to find a place in shop for it,,that would be a good for my echo collection,,,send me a pm if you do want to get rid of it

picture

Going to try to post a pic of it I just took if I can figure out how. Not sure if I want to sell it quite yet. I tried to put the pic on but it says it exceeds the limit. If you want I can email it to you. Just send me your email. I am [email protected] .

The hardware that holds the muffler on should be torx 25. I'll double check one of mine later when I go up to my shop.

Yep No. 25 Torx. Ace hardware stores usually have a long reach one if you don't have a Torx driver set already.

You do need to take the muffler off to mod it; best to make sure you get all loose metal bits out before putting it back on the saw and running it.

Latest posts

Back