Echo CS500P vs Stihl MS261 vs Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zivman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a farm and need a general use saw for maintaining tree lines and cutting up trees that fall from wind/storms.

I have a had a stihl 041 and a husqvarna 55 rancher die on me over the last two years. I am down to my husqvarna 334t top handle saw I bought for use around my house.

I have it down to the ms261, 550XP, or the CS500P

The echo cs500p looks like a good saw. I have a local dealer that can order it, or one a little further out that has it instock. it is light, considerably cheaper than the other two, but not sure how it will hold up compared to the other two. I have read a lot of positive about the saw on this forum, but a friend of mine says he had an echo saw and says they are 'junk'. Not sure what model he had, but I know he buys higher end stuff. He has replaced it with a ms201T and MS362... so obviously he says to buy the stihl

I have a local stihl dealer on the ms261... my hesitation with this saw is it is going to be MSRP, which is +150 to the echo, and 70+ tax more than the husqvarna (if I buy it online). That and it is the heaviest saw of the bunch. I do prefer a lighter saw.

My local dealer can't get me the 550xp till the end of may, though I can find them at other dealers, not so local and online. with that saw, online they are 70 bucks + tax cheaper. Considering my local dealer can't get it, I am not totally against buying online. not sure if the outboard clutch should influence my decision, but I think I would prefer an inboard clutch.

With the stihl and husqvarna, I think the auto-tune features are a positive

I am not the only one using the saw, so it will be used and abused. I don't expect years and years of service, but would like it to hold up for a 'while'. If I can get that with the echo, even if it isn't the 'best' saw I think I would rather keep the money in my pocket and use it towards its replacement in a few years.

any insight is appreciated.

You're in the right place! Welcome. I love all saws, so just my two cents. If you are comfortable defeating the carb adjusting screw limiters, and doing a muffler modification to free up the exhaust, I would say get the Echo. If you were going to be the only user, I would say get one of the others. Other people will ruin your equipment and you are left holding the bag. So, my answer is simply "risk management" for your check book. Not saying the others aren't durable or able to take a beating, just that I hate to buy expensive parts to repair other peoples inconsiderate screw-ups.

You reference the mod to the muffler and carb settings to o make it more comparable power wise to the still/husqvarna saws? Obviously that kills the warranty, but then again, abuse isn't covered under warranty....

for $400 or even less you can get the cs-590 which is just a cheapened out 600P .

i've even run a 24" bar with full comp chisel on mine with no mods in soft woods and it pulled it no problem. the only thing it had was the dealer set the carb-- probably to fully open on the limiters.

i suspect with a muffler mod and and pulling the limiters i could find some more power. these 590s ain't stopped up like the smaller echos are --so i wouldn't expect the huge gains you get from modding a 400p or 450p-- the 450P got a huge boost opening the muffler and tuning the carb nearly 50% i would say--

no way this 590 is that stopped up --

if you want power and keep the limiters a 590 can do that. and stay in warranty --

Most often Stihl holds the best resale value, even in not working condition, but if you want to keep $ for something else and have a good Echo dealer I would consider the 590P. Sounds like you can use the extra power at times, have a light weight trim saw already and it is economically priced with a warranty .

Performance wise it isn't even close. The 550 blows both of the other two away. However if you like to tune your own saw. And you like the value and rock solid reliability of the Echo it won't let you down either.

Get the Stihl. They (dealer)will service your saw for you. All you gotta do is run the thing, and it should be around the farm for a long time, and start every time you need to use it.

I'd prefer to run out of box without having to meas with it. I agree, I probably could use more power but not sure I want the extra 2.5+ lbs that the 590 comes with. I know most here consider a 70cc saw a mid-class, but to me that's a big saw... For what its worth I think the ms261 feels bulky compared to the 550xp ... My dealer had a 'G' version of the husqvarna, just not willing to go another 60 bucks for features I don't need. Just want a capable, light weight, reliable saw with decent power

Have you thought about used? Last new saw I bought was a 170 stihl and that was over 10 yrs ago. I know many don't want used (mainly warranty reasons). Good used saws that are taken care of will last yrs. I just picked up my dads 038 super last yr for 200 dollars that he used for 15 yrs, still goin strong. Buy cheap and buy again later if they need too is a waste of money inmo. Spend the money now, have the equipment longer.

I'd prefer to run out of box without having to meas with it. I agree, I probably could use more power but not sure I want the extra 2.5+ lbs that the 590 comes with. I know most here consider a 70cc saw a mid-class, but to me that's a big saw... For what its worth I think the ms261 feels bulky compared to the 550xp ... My dealer had a 'G' version of the husqvarna, just not willing to go another 60 bucks for features I don't need. Just want a capable, light weight, reliable saw with decent power
261 has all the power U'll need out there , and then some.:D:yes:

Marshy, scored pistons
From improper fuel mix or dirty air filters? Neither of the saws you are asking about will tollerate bad fuel or dirty filters. The saw will only last as long as you keep up with maintenance and feed it the proper fuel ratio. I'f the saw will be used mainly by employees that have the tendency to ruin the equipment I would buy the cheaper of the 3. Or hand saws and an axe for a month to teach a lesson.

The Echo is less expensive because it is not a strato engine and doesn't have a feedback carb. Some may consider those to be advantages, but nonetheless you would expect a discount.

Both good saws, but the ms261 is a bit chunkier than the 550xp. The xp will put a smile on your face and is the one I'd get. There's more to a saw than price, so I tend to buy what I like to run and that's light fast cuttin saws that handle well. 550xp is the one!

From improper fuel mix or dirty air filters? Neither of the saws you are asking about will tollerate bad fuel or dirty filters. The saw will only last as long as you keep up with maintenance and feed it the proper fuel ratio. I'f the saw will be used mainly by employees that have the tendency to ruin the equipment I would buy the cheaper of the 3. Or hand saws and an axe for a month to teach a lesson.
:yes::chop::chop::dumb:

My guess is dirty air filters. I supply the gas/mix and my personal only use equipment holds up fine. I want something decent, but nothing is going to hold up to abuse forever. I can't run ever piece of equipment. If I could I would never have to replace anything. My dad bought an echo pole saw last fall The two guys brought it in the other day, so I looked it over...
7b3791c38ff9024fe0b3c3ec43ff98e4.jpg
. Sad thing is the guy running it is my uncle.....

Its darn frustrating... I know it probably doesn't matter which one I buy as it will lead a hard short life, but in the off chance I can keep them from ruining it, I'd like to have a decent saw. I do see value in buying good equipment

Back