Echo CS500P vs Stihl MS261 vs Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is dirty air filters. I supply the gas/mix and my personal only use equipment holds up fine. I want something decent, but nothing is going to hold up to abuse forever. I can't run ever piece of equipment. If I could I would never have to replace anything. My dad bought an echo pole saw last fall The two guys brought it in the other day, so I looked it over...
7b3791c38ff9024fe0b3c3ec43ff98e4.jpg
. Sad thing is the guy running it is my uncle.....

Its darn frustrating... I know it probably doesn't matter which one I buy as it will lead a hard short life, but in the off chance I can keep them from ruining it, I'd like to have a decent saw. I do see value in buying good equipment
Good farm help is, has always been hard to come by.

Years ago my rancher neighbor helped me get some trees off our fence line. He reached in the back of his cluttered truck bed and pulls out a ms180 that was so filthy you couldn't put anything else on it to make it look any worse. It was scroungy. I looked it over, and other than that it looked good. He'd had it for some time. We began cutting trees off the downed fence, and I could hear his saw above mine, so I stopped to watch him for a moment. The chain was so dull it was shameful to watch that poor saw being abused that way. If it had been my son, I'd took that saw away from him. Afterwards I thought. That is one tough lil saw.

As I typed that they took the pole saw out... Threw the chain on the second branch, didn't bring the saw tool with then and they are rounding out the nuts with the wrong size wrench. The bolt to tension the extension portion went missing in that time as well. I just grabbed the sob and told them to go pick up the smaller trees they pulled out with the tractor last week.

Check out the JRed 2252 in the trader....i wish i didn't have 3 550's one i just bought or i would own the 2252 now.

As I typed that they took the pole saw out... Threw the chain on the second branch, didn't bring the saw tool with then and they are rounding out the nuts with the wrong size wrench. The bolt to tension the extension portion went missing in that time as well. I just grabbed the sob and told them to go pick up the smaller trees they pulled out with the tractor last week.
:laughing:

I'd prefer to run out of box without having to meas with it. I agree, I probably could use more power but not sure I want the extra 2.5+ lbs that the 590 comes with. I know most here consider a 70cc saw a mid-class, but to me that's a big saw... For what its worth I think the ms261 feels bulky compared to the 550xp ... My dealer had a 'G' version of the husqvarna, just not willing to go another 60 bucks for features I don't need. Just want a capable, light weight, reliable saw with decent power

You live in Minnesota, why would you ever say you don't need the "G" ? If that's what he has on the shelf and needs weeks to order a regular in why not offer to take that one off his hands with a discount?

We don't run in the winter. My dealers don't deal on these. I talked to the dealer that had the regular 550xp about working on price vs the online pricing before I made the drive. Said best they could do was $10 off... Not worth the hassle of lowballing them...

The husky 545/johnny 2252 is the smart money purchase for 99% of people. Significantly cheaper than the 550 and you'd want to be fussy to notice the difference.
The johnny in the trading post has been mentioned a couple of times....

the deal is done. went over to the echo dealer, looked at the CS590, and I have to agree, a lot of saw for 400 bucks...... though I think too much (weight wise). I drove down the street, picked up the 545 husqvarna with 18" bar, and bought that. I think the 60cc would be nice, but I think the weight is a big drawback for my use. I appreciate everyones input, I think it definitely helped me make an informed decision

Back