Echo CS500P vs Stihl MS261 vs Husqvarna 550XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You seem hateful...hahahaha...you ok Bro?

I never hate dawg..i appreciate.

I like randy , we have alot to talk about ..chainsaws wouldnt really even be part of the discussion..i just laugh at the guys who would buy a raffle ticket to lick his balls..its hilarious for quite a few of us :laugh:..im just the outspoken one..sorry :heart::oops:

I like randy , we have alot to talk about ..chainsaws wouldnt really even be part of the discussion..i just laugh at the guys who would buy a raffle ticket to lick his balls..its hilarious for quite a few of us :laugh:..im just the outspoken one..sorry :heart::oops:

Hey bud, you will never get beat up by me for being open and honest. No joke, I appreciate it.

Hey bud, you will never get beat up by me for being open and honest. No joke, I appreciate it.

Its cool man , no hard feelings..i just never thought it could be so serious..but seriously..its hilarious..all these builders on here build good saws dude..some better than you have probably been told..its all good with me.

There is a raffle for that? Does it include airfares?:crazy2:

My MS261 is a Baby Saw, just like my 026s.

If it's got them stickers on them like mine, I don't give a red **** about the other colors.

The 026 and 260 feel and handle like 50cc saws should...but the 261 gained some noticeable bulk and weight. It feels like a 60cc but obviously doesn't have the power of one. I thought I wanted a 261 until I picked one up...it went right back on the rack to gather more dust. I'm perfectly happy with my modded 350.

The 026 and 260 feel and handle like 50cc saws should...but the 261 gained some noticeable bulk and weight. It feels like a 60cc but obviously doesn't have the power of one. I thought I wanted a 261 until I picked one up...it went right back on the rack to gather more dust. I'm perfectly happy with my modded 350.
I much prefer the 261 air filter, captive bar nuts, added power, and Antivibes over the 026s: especially the air filter improvement.

I've got 2 different stickers on my baby saws: different Shops.

Once Ported, Performance wise, they are almost dead even.

The advancements mentioned above are the reason I like the 261.

Baby saws are just that; smaller than normal saws: and the 026/261s fit that role well for me.

Many of us take the search for the perfect chainsaw to a virtually incomprehensible level. The simple fact is no saw is perfect, at least no saw is perfect for two different jobs or two different users.
My saw choices are predominantly husqvarna, and while I can easily import a husky, and repair parts for a husky both cheaper and easier than the other major choices it will take a significant advantage for my choices to be swayed. As such, I can earn money easier with a husky.
I haven't seen every potential downside to the 550, but I feel comfortable playing the devils advocate.
Auto tune isn't a perfect solution to fuelling a chainsaw, and really isn't a significant advantage to the competent user.
Filtration is poor in harsh environments.
It doesn't clear noodles well.
But I find my biggest problem is quite a strange one. The saw punches above its weight, creeping into the role I would choose a 60cc saw. I have a frequent need for a saw that runs a 16" 325 bar. My (slightly modded) 550 is no better saw than many others setup this way, and still carries the same disadvantages I have mentioned.
On the other hand - it's ability to run an 18" 3/8 setup with an authority that belies its size is simply amazing.
While some saws gain an amazing amount with simple mods - I've found the way the 550 responds to simple mods ridiculous. A 10 minute muffler mod, remove able transfer covers that allow simple clean up of ports without special tools and a thinner base gasket to set squish makes for a saw that genuinely means I can carry one saw over a broader range of jobs than ever before. If it died after 6 months I would replace it with another. It isn't perfect - but it is an awesome saw for me.

^^ Is fair post and true, the 550 is a awesome little saw that handles great has fast throttle response, great balance and ticks most boxes as far as what a 50cc saw should be. It could have a better air filter for sure but l imagine in most parts of the globe its filter does just fine. Factory dual dawgs would be a nice option. I run either 15".325 or 16" 3/8 and it goes hard! My 550 is stock except muffler opening and is very acceptable. I have a standard carb ms261 strato gutted and ported which in half an animal but it drinks fuel much more in this form than stock. I have an Echo cs550p that s not a bad saw but its hard to take out for the day when its size is similar to my solo 681 or dolmar 6400/7900 but with only 55cc's.

Latest posts

Back