ECHO Dealers Can't Get Saws or Parts -- Some Real-Life Findings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vernon Tull

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
From our discussion a couple of weeks ago, I was persuaded by many of you that an Echo saw was worth a try. After a lot of searching, I finally found an Echo dealer here in Alabama (a lot of businesses in Alabama and Mississippi apparently claim to be Echo dealers but don't actually carry any of the Echo line for some reason). I drove a fair distance today to the Echo dealer in hopes of buying a CS-520 50cc saw.

Here's where the red flags and problems begin. Mr. Dealer has no CS-520 in stock; he hasn't had one in months; he's been trying for a long time to get one in but can't; yet, he tries to put on a smile and tell me that he fully expects to have one in just a few days. Then he tries to sell me a smaller saw that he does have in stock.

Beyond this, it gets darker: I looked around to see what sort of supporting supplies he has -- chains, guide bars, etc. -- for the saw line. He has ZERO spare guide bars, only two or three chains for sale in the entire store (none of which fit the CS-520), no extra air filters, and so forth. I told him that I was hesitant to buy a saw for which there were no routine parts available for upkeep and maintenance. By now, a lady associate was the person dealing with me, and she brushed off my concern saying that extra guide bars and chains were not that important. I got the real impression that such parts were hard for them to get so they didn't stress that aspect of maintence to customers.

This was no fly-by-night store; this was an otherwise well-stocked, full-service hardware store with all sorts of impressive tools and parts.

My question is . . . do all Echo dealers struggle to get both models and parts like this? If so, how does Echo stay competitive?

By the way, for comparison purposes, the Echo CS-520 (if somebody could actually find one) is $379.00 plus sales tax. That makes the 520 a competitor to the Stihl MS-270 (50cc) selling for $379.95 plus tax and the Husqvarna 350 which sells for just about the same price. However, the real difference seems to be that all the Stihl and Husqvarna dealers around here have PLENTY of guide bars, chains, and air filters for sale.

Echo probably is a reliable saw, but it doesn't seem to be working out for me to find one at a dealer who also has access to parts.

Last edited:
The dealer in my area has no probs...

Im on my way now to pick up a needle bearing and rim spocket i ordered yesterday for my cs-4400 ive never had a problem gettin parts for ne echos.usually my stihl dealer can get them but if not the echo dealer in town either stocks them or has them overnighted.Also ithink echo can compete becuzz the are sold at home depot and ace hardwares round here.But those models are just homeowner saws with cheaper parts that wear out quicker.

Now see, I have the complete opposite situation.

The local Echo delaer has a whole section in the back room stocked with carb kits, bars, chains, sprockets, covers, everything. He carries at least 7 different models up front, with a stock i nthe back of at least 1 of each other model.

The local Stihl Dealer seems to just carry bars, sprockets, and chains. Most other parts have to be ordered, and it takes 2-3 weeks to get anything in...

Vernon Tull said:
This was no fly-by-night store; this was an otherwise well-stocked, full-service hardware store with all sorts of impressive tools and parts.

My question is . . . do all Echo dealers struggle to get both models and parts like this? If so, how does Echo stay competitive?

Sounds like this store does not take its chainsaw sales seriously, instead placing their emphasis on other products. Lots of stores do this, including some Stihl and Husqvarna dealers that focus 99% of their energy on lawncare products.

I wouldn't place the blame on Echo as a brand.

RED-85-Z51 said:
The local Stihl Dealer seems to just carry bars, sprockets, and chains. Most other parts have to be ordered, and it takes 2-3 weeks to get anything in...

I can go to 4 Stihl dealers in my area and order anything and I wait 2 days..
2 to 3 weeks cant believe that....

04ultra said:
I can go to 4 Stihl dealers in my area and order anything and I wait 2 days..
2 to 3 weeks cant believe that....

I ordered a Brake Handle for an 066, and it took right at 3 weeks, and I had to pre-pay.

Ordered a choke linkage for a smaller saw and it took 2 weeks.

So I try and avoid servicing Stihl stuff when I can, parts take too long to get, and I dont like having 1400-2000 dollars worth of saws sitting in the shop for 3 weeks.

In the PNW, you can walk into dang near any saw shop and buy parts for any Stihl or Husky. I have bought parts for saws as old as an 041FB Rigid over the counter. Not just gas caps and bars and chains either. We're talkin' gaskets and rings and oiler parts. Depends on your location I guess. Since the PNW is primarily a Stihl dominated world, parts are readily available. Husky too I believe.

Not to be a smart-azz, but I don't think you could give an Echo away here.

Gary

RED-85-Z51 said:
I ordered a Brake Handle for an 066, and it took right at 3 weeks, and I had to pre-pay.

Ordered a choke linkage for a smaller saw and it took 2 weeks.

So I try and avoid servicing Stihl stuff when I can, parts take too long to get, and I dont like having 1400-2000 dollars worth of saws sitting in the shop for 3 weeks.

Are you special ordering parts through dealer or waiting for dealer to get stock order together..Post part # of what took you 2 and 3 weeks to get..
I just checked on 066 brake handle part # 1122-790-9101 and 9102 with my dealer and its 2 working days..Also checked with Mid-Alantic same thing..

One possibility is that the Stihl dealer is just not placing his order until he has enough to qualify for free freight... Around here at means $2000, but varies around the county. There's also a $25 minimum order, but there's always something to buy to fill that!

We sometime delay ordering for units (saws, blowers etc) to get free freight, but parts are ordered almost every day or do. If we order before 1pm, they get shipped out that day. They only delay is the freight transit time, but luckily for us even with UPS ground that's overnight.

Sthl NW has a 98% dispatch rate (means they have it in stock), and even if it has to come from Virginia beach or Germany, it's only a few days delay. Some odd ball parts (like a tiny part for another manf. module - like an obsolete carb - might take a week).

04ultra said:
Are you special ordering parts through dealer or waiting for dealer to get stock order together..Post part # of what took you 2 and 3 weeks to get..
I just checked on 066 brake handle part # 1122-790-9101 and 9102 with my dealer and its 2 working days..Also checked with Mid-Alantic same thing..

Honestly, I dont remember if it was special order or what, but I know it took 3 weeks for the handle.

I dont have the part number, that saw is long gone, by over a year.

My dealer just moved to a brand new building, so they might carry more stuff in stock now, but a year ago, it was sad.

They had 1 of every model on display, but no demo's as I recall. They were not very kind to people who came in to look, and didnt have cash to buy immediatly.

It was almost like walking into a Porsche Dealer...No cash no joy.

I had actually kicked around the idea of buying a new stihl a couple years ago, just to check and see what the hype was, and the dealer was unwilling to help me when I went in. Total snobs.

Find another dealer or buy another brand. They aren't all snobs.

There is usually two side to the customer<> dealer interaction, no matter what the brand.

What was the basic problem in your case? You say "no cash no joy". Were you trying to get a saw without any money?

Last edited:
Computeruser -- It sounds like you may have the best explanation for what I saw today. Maybe Echo isn't to blame. However, the guy did tell me that he's been trying to get this particular model saw back in his store for a long time, but "it just won't come in."

Here in north Alabama, stores that carry the Husqvarna line have LOADS of parts and maintenance items right out where the customer can browse through them. I like that -- being able to look at guide bars, chains, etc. right out there in the customer aisles rather than having to always ask for help with routine things. By the time I go into a store, I usually already know the part # from Internet research. Anyway, around here, Husqvarna saws and parts outnumber Stihl 3 to 1 in availability, even though we do have a fair number of Stihl dealers.

The Echo dealer I met today did not seem like a bad guy at all; maybe he just doesn't focus much on saws.

This is exactly how my dealer orders. Parts every day, equipment in $2000 increments to get free freight.

But when I wanted a KM130 recently and figured I'd be waiting a couple of weeks (I ordered a day or two after he'd just placed an equipment order), he went ahead and ordered another 20 pieces of equipment and got me my KM in just a couple of days. :hmm3grin2orange:

Of course my order was nearly 1/4 of his required minimum...

Chaser

Lakeside53 said:
One possibility is that the Stihl dealer is just not placing his order until he has enough to qualify for free freight... Around here at means $2000, but varies around the county. There's also a $25 minimum order, but there's always something to buy to fill that!

We sometime delay ordering for units (saws, blowers etc) to get free freight, but parts are ordered almost every day or so. If we order before 1pm, they get shipped out that day. They only delay is the freight transit time, but luckily for us even with UPS ground that's overnight.

in Silverdale WA my local Echo dealer has gone out of their way to get parts for my Echo CS-8000. Baileys also has gotten me parts for this CS-8000. bars and chain i use GB, because i am a GB dealer and love most of their stuff.

Lakeside53 said:
Find another dealer or buy another brand. They aren't all snobs.

There is usually two side to the customer<> dealer interaction, no matter what the brand.

What was the basic problem in your case? You say "no cash no joy". Were you trying to get a saw without any money?

I learned a logn time ago, dont bring cash to look around, or you'll end up impulse buying. Ive impulsed purchased enough stuff to know.

i went up there, and asked about a saw, guy walked over, showed me the price. And stepped back.

Then I asked about a similar numbered saw, he then handed me a pamphlet...:mad:

Then he went back and sat behind the desk...I looked around, and saw a couple of models that were nice, and I asked him if he had any I could test start, to see if I liked it, he simply remarked " are you planning to buy today?" I said, no, but I do plan to buy, He then said simply "no".

So I laid the pamphlet on a box and left. The saws I was looking at were in the 400-500 dollar range.

He offered no help, no suggestions, nothing. That is about the time I went looking at the older Macs, and Tanakas.

I only go back there for parts, which is rare anymore, as I turn down alot of Stihl repairs.

I know I did ask them at one point if they had any trade in saws, or older used ones..maybe even a broken one for sale. He said " Any saws that come in that are worth repairing are jugged, and a new piston, new parts, and sold at a like new price. Everything else is destroyed, ""We have a reputation for good equipment, no junk saws sold here""

I guess all this is one of the reasons I avoid stihls. I go to the Echo dealer and we talk for 45 minutes to an hour about saws and stuff. He'll let me try out the newest equipment out back. I was one of the first people to use the "new style" of echo Brush Cutters, with the rounded engine cover.:clap: But he is one of the reasons I got into small engine work, his son is my age, and we have alot in common, he also does small engine work there.

NWCS said:
in Silverdale WA my local Echo dealer has gone out of their way to get parts for my Echo CS-8000. Baileys also has gotten me parts for this CS-8000. bars and chain i use GB, because i am a GB dealer and love most of their stuff.

How do you like the CS-8000?

i love the CS-8000, the crank in it is flat out HUGE! rather like a husky 2100. infact the whole design is similar to a 2100. the cylinder has a flange that fits into the crankcase, big crank, full skirt piston that uses 1.2mm rings (stihl 046 rings fit perfectly) adjustable oil pump that will REALLY pump some oil! whole design is thick and durable. they take a woods port mod like a champ. and will give an 064 a run for the money. the Echo does not have the RPM due to the heavy crank and flywheel but it has a good torque advantage.

The Echo saw dealers around here are at best half arsed for knowledge and stocking saws (except the top handle units) or parts, even consumable paerts. Good news is that if you know your saws and can get the dealer to let you look at the screen you can order parts for reasonable cost and fast shipment.

my Buddy who is the Ech odealer here, went to the last Echo Expo and won 1st prize in the saw assembly contest.

They had a line of saw there, all disassembled 100%, and every person had the same tool kit. The saw was a new model, completely unseen prior to the expo.

They had to completely assemble every aspect of the saw, with no instructions, and fire it off.

Buddy was 1st at about 41 minutes, cranked right up and purred. 2nd place was almost 2 hours.

He won a complete, new Echo diagnosis kit. Complete with compression tester, leakdown kit, spark tester, and an assortment of stuff such as flywheel pullers, plug wrenches...A really nice kit, valued at over 500 dollars.

I intend to be an echo dealer when I get my open my shop.

It helps the Echo experience, when you have someone who knows every aspect of the brand.

The problem here is that Echo isn't focused on saws as much as they are on trimmers and backpacks. This despite the fact that the saws are of good quality. So, not being saw oriented, you don't see the bars, chains and such to support the saws.

It is pretty much the same for us with Red Max. All my trimmer and backpack business is Red Max, while the saws are Husky, Jonsered, and Dolmar. I recently brought in a pallet of Red Max bar oil since it was slightly cheaper than the Husky stuff since the last price increase. It isn't really labeled as to the weight of the oil. It certainly isn't 30WT. I called Red Max to find out what it was and they told me that it was "all purpose" bar oil. So, what the heck does that mean? Is it 20WT? I'm not really sure what I have here, but I've got a gallon in the freezer to see if I can sell this stuff in the cold weather.

The point of this story is that if a company isn't really focused on the saw biz, then real saw guys aren't going to be satisfied, as the occasional user might be.

Latest posts

Back