echo designers are on crack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toolless chain adjusters are garbage and they should never have done that stupid feature to them. i dont care what company dose it, its stupid as all get up and i will never buy a chainsaw with it and i always tell the customers not to buy those ones and to get a real saw with a real chain adjuster on it.:angry::dumb:
here is my message to the manufacturers of the tooless chain adjusters :****you:.

My issues with most tool-less chain adjusters:

- more complex: more parts to break, harder to clean, etc.;

- harder to flip the bar for maintenance/even wear with some models that attach to the bar;

- I can't adjust tension the chain as accurately as I can with a screwdriver;

- thumb wheel on the STIHL models are especially hard for me to turn when they have oil/sawdust on them. I can't turn these while wearing gloves. Some newer versions have larger, outside wheels that I can grasp and turn. Some claim to 'auto adjust' ? Must have some type of spring in them?

I guess that it is like an automatic transmission in cars. Some people will not buy a car without an automatic transmission, and some people claim they get better control with a manual.

Philbert

toolless chain adjusters are garbage and they should never have done that stupid feature to them. i dont care what company dose it, its stupid as all get up and i will never buy a chainsaw with it and i always tell the customers not to buy those ones and to get a real saw with a real chain adjuster on it.:angry::dumb:
here is my message to the manufacturers of the tooless chain adjusters :****you:.
Is it really something to get that upset about? I don't like them, but my Dad has one on his MS250 and likes it a lot. He's had no trouble with it at all.

Is it really something to get that upset about? I don't like them, but my Dad has one on his MS250 and likes it a lot. He's had no trouble with it at all.
I also have the impression that some people truely are otherwise trouble free in their lives, to get so emotional about something as insignificant as tooless chain adjusters.

My issues with most tool-less chain adjusters:

- more complex: more parts to break, harder to clean, etc.;

- harder to flip the bar for maintenance/even wear with some models that attach to the bar;

- I can't adjust tension the chain as accurately as I can with a screwdriver;

- thumb wheel on the STIHL models are especially hard for me to turn when they have oil/sawdust on them. I can't turn these while wearing gloves. Some newer versions have larger, outside wheels that I can grasp and turn. Some claim to 'auto adjust' ? Must have some type of spring in them?

I guess that it is like an automatic transmission in cars. Some people will not buy a car without an automatic transmission, and some people claim they get better control with a manual.

Philbert
Thank you for this post. I was just going to ask what is the problem with tooless chain adjusters. Theoretically it seems too be a good idea, but I have never used one.

Theoretically it seems too be a good idea, but I have never used one.
The idea is OK. And I am sure that a lot of people love them! When you have a site full of chainsaw geeks, we get a little more fussy about performance and obsess over details . . .

You see more and more of them on consumer saws, where convenience and features are often preferred over performance. You can go down the aisles at Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc., and play with them if you are curious. Ask a sales person (if you can find one!) if it is OK to look under the side cover too, to see how they work.

Philbert

I have used some saws with tool less chain adjusters. They work but I don't like them for the aforementioned reasons.

I had a flippy cap saw pee fuel mix on my pants today. I despise those worthless pieces of ...

I worked on a small Echo saw today. I haven't had an Echo for quite some time but picked this one up that supposedly ran well but didn't oil the bar, the bar would get hot and the saw stopped cutting... That was the story. Here's the facts. The oiler works, it was turned down all the way as cc is more and cw is less (opposite Stihl saws). The chain was horribly dull, the rakers were very high, the chain had bent links that were causing binding, etc... Saw runs and cuts fine now. However this little CS305 has the fuel and oil tanks opposite from most saws and someone that has a multi saw fleet is going to mix them up for sure. The oil tank is on the rear of the saw and the fuel tank is on the front. very strange... Anyway, I'm gonna flip it so no skin off my back, just a bit weird.

Tooless chain adjusters seems to rank right up there with automatic oilers, anti-vibe, decompression buttons, auto-tune, m-tronic, roller nose bars, chain brakes, chaps, cutting helmets, etc. Must be designed by the same moron who decided to put a cutting tooth on a chain.

Someday soon it will be common place like so many of the changes of the past.

the technology finish here , we put mtronics, super carbs, autotunes, strato motors, and everything else that we have.
Now we continue with plastic lego parts. the most of peoples believe us as always ( brainwash ) and of course we full the pockets with money.

I cant believe what they are doing now,,, the cs370 and the 400 now can come with the crappy easy chain tenshioner
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-400F
and the other saw is the 620pw,,, comes with a full wrap handle,,, guess they figure it will make it soooooo much better
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-620PW
don't get me wrong guys so no flaming but I think echo is going over board with their ideas,,,, I like echo,,, I really do but this is just stupid just like them building different saws just a couple of cc's difference between them,,, way to many saws to close together on cc's.... ok,, let the flaming begin
A 30cc saw for limbing
A 60cc saw for fire wood , and pro work
A 90cc saw for pro work
End of story

Im pretty sure tooless chain adjusters add connivence, similar to an automatic oiler. Its pretty obvious that they solve the problem of having to find a scrench and carry extra tools, similar to a tooless top cover. I personally don't own a saw with a tooless adjuster but have run a Husky 440 a good deal and thought it was a well designed feature. Ive seen many 440's with 100's of hours and never one with an tooless adjuster issue.

To each is own I suppose, but I lean toward no thanks. I'll still be carrying files, wedges, an axe, oil/gas, other odds and sods, so a scrench (which I can easily make from a screwdriver shaft and some sockets if I need more) isn't going to bog me down tool wise. I'm not sure it's analogous to a chain brake or auto oiler, but what's wrong with convenience for convenience's sake IF it doesn't make the tool or item less useful in the process?

Still, every new thing was mocked by the old guard when it came out, but eventually became the norm. If it holds up over time on pro level saws I guess we'll see for sure. Used saws will always be an option.

I'm sure someday I will become an old fuddy duddy and resist changes in technology as well. But for now I welcome the development of new products. Except that autotune pure evil right there.

Latest posts

Back