echo designers are on crack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dang guys,,, I didn't leave,,, I just been busy with all the snackies that are lined up:rock2::rock2:,,,,, I am thinking about getting one of the 590"s,,, it can be had for about 375.00,,, I haven't bought a saw in about a year now and I have the itch

dang guys,,, I didn't leave,,, I just been busy with all the snackies that are lined up:rock2::rock2:,,,,, I am thinking about getting one of the 590"s,,, it can be had for about 375.00,,, I haven't bought a saw in about a year now and I have the itch
you better let your arm heal before using it.

I got the Timberwolf when they were $300. Nice saw. Pretty much the same saw as the 600P but has a plastic handle. Very stout and fuel efficient. Starts on the 3rd pull cold. Came pretty lean from the factory and I fattened it up a tad but did not remove the limit caps. I have not done a muffler mod and don't think I will. Its fine the way it is. You would like it ...great bang for the buck.

View attachment 394235

Echo 6700 just keeps on truckin....not the fastest or the lightest, but the air filter works and it cuts a lot of wood.

My 6700 has always been good to me but the biggest beef I have with it is the poor air filter design. Very little surface for the air flow leads to quick clogging & it doesn't tap clean very well.

My issues with most tool-less chain adjusters:

- more complex: more parts to break, harder to clean, etc.;

- harder to flip the bar for maintenance/even wear with some models that attach to the bar;

- I can't adjust tension the chain as accurately as I can with a screwdriver;

- thumb wheel on the STIHL models are especially hard for me to turn when they have oil/sawdust on them. I can't turn these while wearing gloves. Some newer versions have larger, outside wheels that I can grasp and turn. Some claim to 'auto adjust' ? Must have some type of spring in them?

I guess that it is like an automatic transmission in cars. Some people will not buy a car without an automatic transmission, and some people claim they get better control with a manual.

Philbert
You sir are exactly correct on every point.

I can't understand how the knob is considered an improvement.
Even the Side Tension screw and plastic clutch covers do not improve a saw IF you came up in the days when REAL chainsaws were built.
My very old Sthil 024 has a metal clutch cover and the tension screw in front of the saw. It's NEVER FAILED. The old Sthil 029 has a decent side adjustment and has been replaced once. Compare the two saws. The newer saw aint built as strong and the farm boss isn't professional. My Sthil 026 has plastic clutch cover and side tension but professionally it's not as well built as the old 024. Then there are the Echoes. Plastic covers side tension. IF a man isn't careful it's possible to break those side covers BECAUSE the tension is attached to the cover and must be properly lined up when servicing the bar and chain. I've had Years of experience so it's a snap but I've seen guys crack clutch covers. I find the adjustment that's not built onto the clutch cover more sturdy.
Then one fine day I purchased an electric Worx pole saw and the bigger 14 or maybe 15 amp rated Electric Worx.
Because we had grid power I choose Electric chainsaws to use when possible while building the Pole Barn.
Both of those saws have the Knob to tighten the chain.
There is a plate attached to the bar (both saws) and there is a tiny screw holding that plate to the bar. Flipping the bar becomes a hassel. I'm always concerned about the possibility of loosing that screw. So far so good but I don't like the situation.
The bar plate also limits the bar slot movement there effecting chain adjustment potential.
The side plate has to be attached with caution more cautiously than any other saws I posess.
I'd not say the saws are trash but id say they are definitely not professional equipment. They were cheap, somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 bucks. Both DO automatically oil the chain. They aren't the Steak but they aren't the napkin either. They are ok. Serve a purpose. I'm not angry. Wallyworld sells something around a 9 amp Worx Electric Chainsaw that looks like the Worx pole saw BUT it DOES NOT automatically oil the chain. Around 50 bucks. If you read the description it states it has an oiler but when I saw it last no mention that its a MANUEL thumb pump oiler. The kind I'm not fond of. Because the pole saw oils automatically I paid almost double. It served the purpose used in a limited fashion.
The knob chain adjustment on both of my Worx actually work BUT look to be dangerous because there is ONLY ONE bar bolt supporting the bar. It's a scary thought to imagine how he bar flipping up during operation.
I saw an older Electric Chainsaw with two bar nuts and liked that better. I'm thinking it was a Black and Decker. 12 amp saw.
I've carried a Scrench for about 50 years. Adjusting a chain takes me about a minute. I check my chain with every oil and gas fill up.
But I can imagine a lot of homer owner types may find the Knob more to their liking.
My opinion is I want to keep both of my Nuts. I want to feel safe.
I don't mind two bar nuts and using a scrench.
If I were buying a gas powered chainsaw, 60cc or up, or small 30cc up, I'd not purchase a new saw of any brand without Two bar nuts. Also I'm reluctant to buy flip top Gas and Oil caps.
I came up in the day when we snugged caps with the Scrench.
To prove my point, once I was running an 029 Sthil bucking a big oak tree. I'd just filled the saw oil and gas tanks. After about 3 minutes the bar announced it needed oil (you learn to listen and catch that before the chain gets hot). Thinking that's impossible I reluctantly stopped the saw to check oil. Danged if that oil cap hadn't loosened and was hanging.
Because the cap slot was wearing I'd decided hand tight would get me by. Boy was I wrong.
Speaking of caps. This new Echo 490 gas cap looks cheap and brittle. I hand tighten because I'm afraid it'll break using a scrench. Danged if that gas cap don't tighten its self. There is a raised rail molded on the cap with a slot. The scrench fits it but any day now I'm expecting to break the gas cap. I saw a guy break one. It flung a big chip right off.
The bottom line is: God made Plumbs and Apples. Eat Plumbs if you like but no need to throw them at the Guys eating apples or whatever.
Blessings.

Echo and present Shindaiwa are actually very well designed... for the goals the designers were given.
Take the PB-770 backpack blower: it's designed to run 300 hours with absurdly high reliability. The only things it will need during those 300 hours are a new spark plug and often a new fuel pickup. It won't even need an air filter because the foam prefilter works so well and all you need is washing it in running water once in a while. But when the 300 hours are up it will literally start to disintegrate: unless you have patience and deep pockets by 350 hours it's only good for the scrap heap or giving you a headache. Too much stuff going wrong all at once. :crazy:
Why did Echo designers choose that lifespan? Because the average US landscaping company changes blowers every two/three years and runs them between 100 and 150 hours per year.
I am pretty sure Echo has a similar philosophy in place for homeowner saws because, let's be honest, how many hours does the average homeowner saw runs a year? That's why the fragile chain adjuster and other cheap components: Echo knows those using their saws more will buy a pro-grade saw, or a Husqvarna/Stihl high-end clamshell (Rancher etc), which are built to different standards.

Finally remember Echo products are built to be priced very aggressively on the US market: we can pay a saw or blower 40% more than in the US, and spare parts are somehow even worse. Those low prices come with a price attached, and that price is component engineered for a very precise lifespan instead of being built as reliable as possible.

Right. My old Sthils never die. But I'm slowing down too
I sold my old PP380 which was a REAL SAW.
It was getting old and I wanted a new saw.
Bought the cs590 because I wanted a new saw AND the Reviews are so good. My brother bought the cs600 or cs620p. Can't remember. But now I wish id bought the cs600 or 620p BUT the 590 is still a good saw. A few times I've used the 27 inch bar for some very big trees.
It's a LOT stronger than the Sthil 024 but the 024 is less cc's. However the cs590 did cut beside a Sthil 391 and kept up.
Then I got talked into buying 3 more Echo saws. 310, 352, 490.
Yes, I enjoy my saws.
The cs310 just wasn't a keeper. Sold it.
Most times I use the cs352 or cs490. Often if a tree is big enough for the cs590 ill give the 590 the big work but use the Sthil 029 some. I'm thinking the 029 is around 54cc but with all ive done to it that saw has no idea is only slightly bigger than a 50cc Echo or Sthil 026. I had a few older saws but gave some away to clear the heard.
I'm short on time. Just can't fix em all.
Have an old Eager Beaver. Needed oil and gas lines. It's partially taken apart and in a box. I'd like to see that LOUD little saw run but have no idea if I'll ever get it going. It sure did cut well for a baby saw.
At 72 I need my beauty rest. It's almost 4 am. Nap time. Have a great night.

Latest posts

Back