Echo Saws, are they Dependable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week went to Atlanta area and rented a Echo 590 at Home Depot. Could have just been renter quality being abused, but for me I was not impressed. In the end it did the task that needed to be done. Perhaps if I ran a forum members 590 I might have a different opinion. ;) Everybody like images... here is the clean up.
20221203_115654_resized.jpg
20221203_115726_resized.jpg

I have owned a basic Echo CS-400 (40cc) saw purchased "reconditioned" from my local Home Depot almost 10 years ago. One of the most reliable little saws I have ever owned. Starts easy and runs like a champ. I would never hesitate to recommend Echo saws based on this experience, but it is a small/mid saw at 40cc and therefore is mostly used for cutting wood 12-14" or less so can't comment on move heavy duty usage. But for basic residential use I think they are great. Tempted to get a 50 or 60 cc Echo but have opted for Chinese Stihl knockoffs instead. But I think the Echo quality is far superior to the China/Stihls I own.
I’ve had my 400 for about 12 years now. Muffler mod and re-tune shortly after and running strong ever since. The muff mod is a definitive need for this saw. It’s an awesome little saw that has seen heavy duty. After I bought my woodlot 2 years ago I bought the 620P and have a 28” bar on it for larger oaks/pines. It’s a little too much bar actually and a 24” would have been better. Love echos. But I also love husky’s and stihls for my plethora of other 2 cycle equipment.

I’m guessing the muffler mod makes for a louder saw along with more power? I always wear ear protection, just not looking to add any more noise pollution.
It is louder but not too much when considering running a chain saw. Most important purpose is to reduce overheating and increase power.

I believe them to be the best saws on the market for the facts that the saws are extremely dependable I log professionally and my echos never fail to start ware the sthil will fail the husky won’t crank sometimes when it’s a hot start I have brutalized the echo got pissed thrown it because I hit myself or something like a limb slapping me on the ear never broke parts are cheap and available never are they cheap for my husky of sthil and most of the time unavailable the saw is also 200 to 400 $ cheaper than the others my saws are sthil 461 462 661 husqvarna 592xp and I’ve had 3 echo 7310p I buy a new one every year as for power the echo falls with the 461 and cost less than all the others and is almost the weight of the 462 the echo is what I cut most my timber with the husqvarna I save for big tracks with big timber and I’d hafto say for power it’s my favorite saw.

Last week went to Atlanta area and rented a Echo 590 at Home Depot. Could have just been renter quality being abused, but for me I was not impressed. In the end it did the task that needed to be done. Perhaps if I ran a forum members 590 I might have a different opinion. ;) Everybody like images... here is the clean up.
View attachment 1040483
View attachment 1040484
Likely was just abused from being a rental. My 590 cuts like a scalded dog even with a 20” bar buried in hardwood and me really leaning on it. Had it for quite a while now and it still runs flawless in all conditions

Likely was just abused from being a rental. My 590 cuts like a scalded dog even with a 20” bar buried in hardwood and me really leaning on it. Had it for quite a while now and it still runs flawless in all conditions
That is good to hear that the 590 is a solid saw! Yea that rental had several problems left me thing sadly about it.

What about the saw was unimpressive?

I believe them to be the best saws on the market for the facts that the saws are extremely dependable I log professionally and my echos never fail to start ware the sthil will fail the husky won’t crank sometimes when it’s a hot start I have brutalized the echo got pissed thrown it because I hit myself or something like a limb slapping me on the ear never broke parts are cheap and available never are they cheap for my husky of sthil and most of the time unavailable the saw is also 200 to 400 $ cheaper than the others my saws are sthil 461 462 661 husqvarna 592xp and I’ve had 3 echo 7310p I buy a new one every year as for power the echo falls with the 461 and cost less than all the others and is almost the weight of the 462 the echo is what I cut most my timber with the husqvarna I save for big tracks with big timber and I’d hafto say for power it’s my favorite saw.
I was cutting a branch under pressure and it whipped me right in the eyeball. I gently caressed my Echo so as not to offend her.

Certain models are better than others I guess. I see the saw game similar to cars. I think certain Echos have a good reputation today, and the old ones sure were reliable even if heavy and weak comparatively.

Ford = Stihl
Chevy = Husqvarna
Mopar = EchoView attachment 1040681

Sort of.
Considering all of those auto makes are steaming piles of **** it isn't a good comparison to lump Stihl, Husky and echo in with them. Those three saw produce products light years better than the BIG 3. In particular lumping echo in with Mopar is particularly insulting.

I was referring more to market share or popularity than quality.

Not a good comparison at all I agree.

I think Echo will eclipse the other two. And, actually, since China is now involved in saws they will do their best to put all out others out of business. Like all the cheap crap at Walmart and Tractor Supply and Rural King, if China is all that's on the shelf...

I’ve had my 400 for about 12 years now. Muffler mod and re-tune shortly after and running strong ever since. The muff mod is a definitive need for this saw. It’s an awesome little saw
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

I was referring more to market share or popularity than quality.

Not a good comparison at all I agree.

I think Echo will eclipse the other two. And, actually, since China is now involved in saws they will do their best to put all out others out of business. Like all the cheap crap at Walmart and Tractor Supply and Rural King, if China is all that's on the shelf...
No way in hell Echo ever surpasses Husky or Stihl.

Latest posts

Back