Edison Motors announces their pickup truck kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I see you woke up this morning full of insults. I will address those later.

If the inspection sticker is not a tax then who is collecting the money?
No, I'm sick of you being an insulting know it **** on every subject that comes across this site, I honestly done know why they haven't ip banned you yet. I simply stated it would need an enhanced inspection and you go off on your rampage like normal. Typical BillG no one knows anything but BillG, because he's been there, done that and knows everything. I'm done with you.

Edison was having a hard time sourcing axle components which they did finally resolve but I would be hesitant at this point that if there were to be an issue that getting the parts to repair might be tough should they run out of money or revise and or drop a component.
A new truck here is roughly $100k, if I were to spend $30k plus my time I can buy a really nice used truck AND if I spend $10k on a truck I need it to last 10 years. If I was dumping $30k into a classic, I'd need it to last the rest of my life and we don't live in Nevada.
Insuring the vehicle may be another issue if you do the install and don't have an electrical degree, should there be an issue your insurance may be voided.
I have installed MANY an aftermarket component that required extensive machining to work. Not saying that is the case here but things always look better in magazines than they are -and I just dated myself....magazines lol!

Wonder if they are going to catch any grief for using an off road engine on road?
You gotta laugh at all the stainless braided brake lines that are good for 1 year, not DOT rated and on cars 15 years later...... Every single one of the tards that installs them HATE mechanics and inspections!!!

No, I'm sick of you being an insulting know it **** on every subject that comes across this site, I honestly done know why they haven't ip banned you yet. I simply stated it would need an enhanced inspection and you go off on your rampage like normal. Typical BillG no one knows anything but BillG, because he's been there, done that and knows everything. I'm done with you.
Well Sean if an inspection sticker is not a tax then who gets the money from it? Vehicle license plates are also a tax. Vehicle title transfer fees are taxes. Any fee levied by a taxing body is a tax. I have no idea how much your plates cost in PA. Around about 2019 the Illinois Democrats were hurting for money to fund their pet projects. They instituted what was basically an across the board 100% increase in all vehicle fees. A plate that was $108 went to $216. A title transfer that was $65 was $130. Now do you think that magically the cost of stamping out license plate doubled over night? Hell no it did not it was a TAX increase. Up until about 1980 we used to have inspections on pickups. It was a joke and folks finally raised enough hell to get it abolished.

Well Sean if an inspection sticker is not a tax then who gets the money from it? Vehicle license plates are also a tax. Vehicle title transfer fees are taxes. Any fee levied by a taxing body is a tax. I have no idea how much your plates cost in PA. Around about 2019 the Illinois Democrats were hurting for money to fund their pet projects. They instituted what was basically an across the board 100% increase in all vehicle fees. A plate that was $108 went to $216. A title transfer that was $65 was $130. Now do you think that magically the cost of stamping out license plate doubled over night? Hell no it did not it was a TAX increase. Up until about 1980 we used to have inspections on pickups. It was a joke and folks finally raised enough hell to get it abolished.
Bill, while you may be qualified to fix your vehicle I managed an Autopro in a body shop and saw the carnage caused by no maintenance. I WOULD GLADLY PAY THE TAX AND KEEP MY FAMILY SAFE.
2 examples come to mind, one being an Uber driver delivering take out that smashed their car in Nov on bald tires with belts hanging out and another delivering pizzas with leaking brake lines because they could not afford repairs.
The people who generally complain about the cost of inspections would not be able to afford the repairs THEY DESPERATELY NEED.

............Insuring the vehicle may be another issue if you do the install and don't have an electrical degree, should there be an issue your insurance may be voided.
Insurance would definitely be an issue. In the first post it shows what appears to be about a 1974/1977 Ford truck. If you were wreck it the insurance company would want to give you pennies even if you had $30,000 invested in it. Of course prior to insuring it you could have an appraisal done but I bet you will be hard pressed to find someone to appraise it. A proper appraisal requires comparables and those simply will not exist for awhile.

I have to drive up the road every night where my kid's classmate lost their dad at 4 years old. When I get to work I see cars wrapped up in plastic bags marked "bio hazard". That means someone died.
I had one with half a joint soaked in beer from the bottle laying on it's side. The tax issue is a moot point.
We have wreck checks that are free if that solves the tax issue.

For a burnt out light or exhaust leak you get to tow your car and have 7 days to repair it. Any worse and they pull the plates roadside free of charge, no tax.

Insurance would definitely be an issue. In the first post it shows what appears to be about a 1974/1977 Ford truck. If you were wreck it the insurance company would want to give you pennies even if you had $30,000 invested in it. Of course prior to insuring it you could have an appraisal done but I bet you will be hard pressed to find someone to appraise it. A proper appraisal requires comparables and those simply will not exist for awhile.
In Australia, Insurance is refusing to insure electric vehicles. Add that these are custom, you may need to pass a structural integrity inspection -that does not exist. Buyer beware.
I hold a ticket, I do not inspect other peoples custom cars.

In Australia, Insurance is refusing to insure electric vehicles. Add that these are custom, you may need to pass a structural integrity inspection -that does not exist. Buyer beware.
I hold a ticket, I do not inspect other peoples custom cars.
Didn't even think about the insurance aspect of it. That can be a pain. When I swapped the 12v cummins in my 79, they were more of a pain then the state was. Had several meetings with an appraiser, show proof of costs, and the best was that the engine met or exceeded the model year of my 79. 🤣 that was arguably the easiest part.

Didn't even think about the insurance aspect of it. That can be a pain. When I swapped the 12v cummins in my 79, they were more of a pain then the state was. Had several meetings with an appraiser, show proof of costs, and the best was that the engine met or exceeded the model year of my 79. 🤣 that was arguably the easiest part.
Summarized quote from Edison:
While we are happy to build a logging truck that is safer and lighter and can go to areas conventional semi's cannot, unfortunately logging companies will push the drivers harder to go into more dangerous areas.

Bill, while you may be qualified to fix your vehicle I managed an Autopro in a body shop and saw the carnage caused by no maintenance. I WOULD GLADLY PAY THE TAX AND KEEP MY FAMILY SAFE.
2 examples come to mind, one being an Uber driver delivering take out that smashed their car in Nov on bald tires with belts hanging out and another delivering pizzas with leaking brake lines because they could not afford repairs.
The people who generally complain about the cost of inspections would not be able to afford the repairs THEY DESPERATELY NEED.
I have a couple examples of the ridiculous inspections here but they are too long to type on a phone.

I have a couple examples of the ridiculous inspections here but they are too long to type on a phone.
There are more shops than one that can be patronized and the work can be done by anyone and re inspected. My current argument is a 2002 Crown Vic that has had rotted frame rails for 6 years.

In NY the inspection station keeps the money and are all private companies. The sticker issued by the state cost the station about 2 bucks . The station charges $10 for a safety only -that’s pre 1999 cars also some trucks my 07 Dodge is safety only also . The cost for an emissions inspection is $22. Don’t think anyone is making money on inspections unless the car needs repairs. Also I believe the new emissions test computer is like $20k

I should also commend Edison on a good job.
The popular conversion used to be an S10 or Ranger with 5 spd and manual steering.
You drop all the accessories and rad, modify bell housing and add a welder generator.
The drive train would remain stock rather than Tesla drive motors that they don't like to sell O rings and bearings for.

Wonder if they are going to catch any grief for using an off road engine on road?

I'd wondered about that too. Guessing that'll be another decision to be made between the installer and the owner, and will probably depend on what truck is being retrofitted. 2018 truck, going to need a newer emissions compliant genset with DPF and DEF. 1970 truck, just about anything will be fine.

Not holding that against them, gassers get stuck and have to be winched out all the time too. Looks like the tires are at full pressure, which isn't helping them any.

Hope Tesla has someone who actually knows about driving off road advising them on the torque proportioning programming for off road, or at least have the equivalent of a 'full locked computer does nothing' setting.

I'd wondered about that too. Guessing that'll be another decision to be made between the installer and the owner, and will probably depend on what truck is being retrofitted. 2018 truck, going to need a newer emissions compliant genset with DPF and DEF. 1970 truck, just about anything will be fine.
I suspect it would depend on how you license it. For my S10 example if the vehicle is all electric with a generator as a drive motor the charging system is independent of the vehicle whether it be grid, solar or generator. I really would not want to invest into something only to have the government pass a law saying it's obsolete or can't be used. This used to be why we put modern engines in old cars!

Not holding that against them, gassers get stuck and have to be winched out all the time too.

Looks like the tires are at full pressure, which isn't helping them any. Hope Tesla has someone who actually knows about driving off road advising them on the torque proportioning programming for off road, or at least have the equivalent of a 'full locked computer does nothing' setting.
What you will find is they will have load sensors and traction sensors that will go out of calibration rendering the vehicle useless with out a factory tech and satellite programming

Back