Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never played with the transfers yet. Saving my pennies for a good porting tool. I have some 152 parts. What are you looking for?

Just looking to build another saw up...so nothing in particular. would love to find a efco 152 that needs a cylinder...cuz i have an extra.

I dont have a engine or rear handle or chain brake..everything else i have from a cub cadet

I'd also trade for a parts 156/956 saw. The husky 350 i have for trade has a black coil on it!! lol

Last edited:
Why are people drilling their bar holes out? Ive never had a problem with mine clogging as long as i dont get my bar pinched or run a loose chain. The only thing i make bigger is the exhaust holes and exhaust port.:msp_mellow:

I've got three 156s in Deere green. I love them. I've been running them hard for over two years and only had two minor and separate problems. Absolutely my favorite saws in the mid-50 CC range. They will out-cut my old 74 cc Stihl 041 Super.

One -the recoil starters bound up on all of them. Easy fix by shaving some plastic off the face of the rope pulley where it rubs against the rewind-spring. I think new replacement springs now have a plastic washer to eliminate the binding problem. New spring with plastic anti-friction washer is Emak # 098000060AR.

Two - all three have 20" bars (.325" chain) and all had intermittent oiling problems. Problem was that the oil holes in the bars were too small and plugged very easily. Easy fix with a pointed carbide grinder. Opened the holes up a bit and all has been fine since.

One oddity. The Deere/Efco manual makes no mention of adjustable oil-pumps, but they DO have adjusters.

Maybe it was just with the 156 that there is a problem?

Maybe it was just with the 156 that there is a problem?

I really doubt its the saw that has the problem; if it is, its not an epidemic. I have had a few Olympics and still do have three, have a Deere 36, 2-52's and a 56 and have seen my share of the rest of the Efco's in the shop. My 480a is nicknamed the Exxon Valdez, as it will leave a slick on the ground if you are not cutting wood and rev the saw for any length of time. All my oilers put out more than enough to lube the recommended bar sizes, and the only problem I've seen in the shop is improper fit up of the bar. A couple of people have left the spacers in them when they assemble them, and one guy discarded the metal plate on a 152. The one oiler I've replaced was on a 3600?, a smaller saw, covered under warranty although I suspect it had more to do with the vent being clogged; again, a maintenance issue, not a design defect. These saws have some defects and design issues, as all seem to, but for the average Joe Homeowner they stand up well, and the few commercially used products we see they don't have any more problems than any other brand, and fewer than some, including the big two.
Oregon started the angled hole in their bars to "improve oil flow and reduce clogging". It seems to work for me. I will say I keep my chains fairly tight, and have the fortune not to be running chains on these saws right to the nub of the cutters. If your sprockets and drivers are wore, if the bar groove is worn, if you insist on being a west coast logger with a 1/2" of slack in a 18" bar, or try to run bitumen or 140W gear lube for bar oil I doubt drilling the oiling hole will keep your bar from being clogged up, but its your saw and results may vary. Some people insist that they never have to clean a bar groove, mine usually have some stuff in them and I have a groove cleaner on the depth gauge so I use it when its off the saw. I have seen Husky badged, Stihl badged, Deere badged, Efco badged, Silver Streak badged bars all have the angled hole, I assume Oregon is making them and selling them the paint to put on the bar.
That said, I have also seen the newly painted/stlyed Oregons without the jet style hole, so maybe they are rethinking the concept.

I really doubt its the saw that has the problem; if it is, its not an epidemic. I have had a few Olympics and still do have three, have a Deere 36, 2-52's and a 56 and have seen my share of the rest of the Efco's in the shop. My 480a is nicknamed the Exxon Valdez, as it will leave a slick on the ground if you are not cutting wood and rev the saw for any length of time. All my oilers put out more than enough to lube the recommended bar sizes, and the only problem I've seen in the shop is improper fit up of the bar. A couple of people have left the spacers in them when they assemble them, and one guy discarded the metal plate on a 152. The one oiler I've replaced was on a 3600?, a smaller saw, covered under warranty although I suspect it had more to do with the vent being clogged; again, a maintenance issue, not a design defect. These saws have some defects and design issues, as all seem to, but for the average Joe Homeowner they stand up well, and the few commercially used products we see they don't have any more problems than any other brand, and fewer than some, including the big two.
Oregon started the angled hole in their bars to "improve oil flow and reduce clogging". It seems to work for me. I will say I keep my chains fairly tight, and have the fortune not to be running chains on these saws right to the nub of the cutters. If your sprockets and drivers are wore, if the bar groove is worn, if you insist on being a west coast logger with a 1/2" of slack in a 18" bar, or try to run bitumen or 140W gear lube for bar oil I doubt drilling the oiling hole will keep your bar from being clogged up, but its your saw and results may vary. Some people insist that they never have to clean a bar groove, mine usually have some stuff in them and I have a groove cleaner on the depth gauge so I use it when its off the saw. I have seen Husky badged, Stihl badged, Deere badged, Efco badged, Silver Streak badged bars all have the angled hole, I assume Oregon is making them and selling them the paint to put on the bar.
That said, I have also seen the newly painted/stlyed Oregons without the jet style hole, so maybe they are rethinking the concept.

Rephrase my original quote: Maybe the smaller angled Oregon Bar hole is the problem and not the 156 saw.

My 156 saw is still fairly new, nothing is worn, chain is tight and checked while in use. When compared to my Stihl or my Echo I used to have, the chain seemed much dryer in use.

Rephrase my original quote: Maybe the smaller angled Oregon Bar hole is the problem and not the 156 saw.

My 156 saw is still fairly new, nothing is worn, chain is tight and checked while in use. When compared to my Stihl or my Echo I used to have, the chain seemed much dryer in use.

Is it oiling? Vent clear, under the bar plate? Oiler turned to max, should be adjustable? That is different I think on these, as turning it clockwise increases the flow. If you look, theres an arrow thingy by the adjuster. I would start there, and then see a dealer if you don't think its adequate. Even if you are not the original owner if its under 5 years old.
What bar does the Echo, echo, echo take? If you can swap them?

Is it oiling? Vent clear, under the bar plate? Oiler turned to max, should be adjustable? That is different I think on these, as turning it clockwise increases the flow. If you look, theres an arrow thingy by the adjuster. I would start there, and then see a dealer if you don't think its adequate. Even if you are not the original owner if its under 5 years old.
What bar does the Echo, echo, echo take? If you can swap them?

Thanks for the PM Jeff. I will be calling you if I need anything. Menard's is the only dealer around me, I think. I did turn the oiler all the way up. It is a 20" bar which I believe is max for this saw. I do clean it after 2-3 tanks.
The ECHO echo echo echo was out the door a couple weeks after buying this Efco saw. So I cannot swap bars. It was a cs-4400. used 44cc vs new 56cc.....the 56cc won :msp_thumbsup: Didn't need two saws this close in power.
Bought the Efco new (in box, no fuel through it) from a guy who never used it and let it sit in his garage. The chain seemed much drier when in use then the other saws I had. Then I came across others who agree. I had a Stihl ES bar and older Oregon bar that I compared the Efco Oregon bar to. The hole was smaller. I did widen it with the suggested carbide tip Dremel tool others have been using. It is oiling fine now.

Thanks for the PM Jeff. I will be calling you if I need anything. Menard's is the only dealer around me, I think. I did turn the oiler all the way up. It is a 20" bar which I believe is max for this saw. I do clean it after 2-3 tanks.
The ECHO echo echo echo was out the door a couple weeks after buying this Efco saw. So I cannot swap bars. It was a cs-4400. used 44cc vs new 56cc.....the 56cc won :msp_thumbsup: Didn't need two saws this close in power.
Bought the Efco new (in box, no fuel through it) from a guy who never used it and let it sit in his garage. The chain seemed much drier when in use then the other saws I had. Then I came across others who agree. I had a Stihl ES bar and older Oregon bar that I compared the Efco Oregon bar to. The hole was smaller. I did widen it with the suggested carbide tip Dremel tool others have been using. It is oiling fine now.

So who sent in the warranty card? Menards is a bad word when I play mechanic, I do shop there some, though.

So who sent in the warranty card? Menards is a bad word when I play mechanic, I do shop there some, though.

I have the warranty card. Never sent it in. Did not think they would honor it without a store receipt. I would never take it to Menard's.

They would know where to send you, to an authorized dealer/service place, and that may be several counties away. Or maybe down the block. I really don't know what the card asks for, they would ask for a dated receipt if the card was never turned in.

Merry Christmas!

greg 54

hello slipknot: I have a guy on here says he'll sell me a efco 165 new in box for $350 delivered and see that you have a few efco saws.Have you ever had pull start springs break on any,I heard thats a weak link and it seems what parts you can find are expensive. Flywheel $95.00 etc Thank you and would you buy that saw?? I am really thinking about it, actually wanted a 156 because of weight but after seeing the hp it wont matter.

hello slipknot: I have a guy on here says he'll sell me a efco 165 new in box for $350 delivered and see that you have a few efco saws.Have you ever had pull start springs break on any,I heard thats a weak link and it seems what parts you can find are expensive. Flywheel $95.00 etc Thank you and would you buy that saw?? I am really thinking about it, actually wanted a 156 because of weight but after seeing the hp it wont matter.
Buy it!!!

greg 54

So they really are good? I bought a husqvarna 353 over the summer and its 51.7cc but I thought that 165 would be a great bigger saw. And congratulations on beating anorexia, I have too! I am trying to get a hold of that guy he hasnt responded lately last 4 hrs. Thanks for your input.

Thats a good price on a 165. My cost up North is $535. I never had to put a starter spring in any of the Efco I sold that I can recall.

Hello, on that 165 new in box....thats an absolute bargain and you should buy it. As far as the starter springs go on efco saws....Ive been running them since 2005 and have yet to break one. In my opinion..the weak point is the on/off switch...thats about it.

Also fellas...Its WINTER time now....so dont forget to thin your bar oil with a little kerosene. I took a 152 out to day and it wouldnt oil..looked into the oil tank and sure enough the oil was thicker than cold maple syrup.

efco 165

Hey slipknot the guy got back with me he has 7 of those saws, he is keeping one for himself for parts should anything go wrong with his and the bad NO FACTORY WARRANTY. Would that scare you off? He said thats why he got such a deal. But they are new! 20in factory bar 3/8 chain and I think they are the real 3/8 not that low profile little saw stuff.058 ga Hes a member on arborsite. He told me I want to tell you up front about the no warranty.$350 and chance it or I know I can get an echo cs 600p for $450 to my door but its off ebay, so thats not warranty either, at least thats what echo says when you call them.Those echo 600s really scream too. Thanks for your input Greg

Hey slipknot the guy got back with me he has 7 of those saws, he is keeping one for himself for parts should anything go wrong with his and the bad NO FACTORY WARRANTY. Would that scare you off? He said thats why he got such a deal. But they are new! 20in factory bar 3/8 chain and I think they are the real 3/8 not that low profile little saw stuff.058 ga Hes a member on arborsite. He told me I want to tell you up front about the no warranty.$350 and chance it or I know I can get an echo cs 600p for $450 to my door but its off ebay, so thats not warranty either, at least thats what echo says when you call them.Those echo 600s really scream too. Thanks for your input Greg

I think im goin to let Stihl Crazy answer this one...he was a dealer and had some major crankcase issues with these saws..i think. With out the warranty I would request that the saw be fired up and tested first.

None of my efcos came with warranty which is ok..because ive never needed it.

greg54

Thanks and I am steering clear of efco's, like I said I missed an echo cs 600p last night for $400 and thats my fault. Next one on there for around 400-450- is coming to me. Watch that saw on you tube, I have a cs 400 I bought and it is very impressive for 40cc s w/18 in bar, my 353 husqvarna isnt a whole lot more power and its new too. the echo 600 is 13 lbs thats the part I dont like but the power is unreal. Greg54

efco 156 and 152

Hows that little 152? about like a husqvarna 350 its a plastic case with clamshell engine but still has aluminum under the bottom of engine where it bolts down. Do you use it much? They showed one on youtube a 152 w/500 tanks of fuel thru it and you could wiggle the engine side to side but who knows how it was treated,maybe the bolts were coming loose and noone bothered tightening them up to prevent it. They are both approx 50 cc saws husky 51.7 I think same as 353 but rated .1 less hp cant figure that out either. Some dealer in Chicago has the whole lineup on ebay right now but I'm in ill and would have to pay tax. Actually I think that 152 is rated higher hp than my husky 353. Oh well I am still keeping an eye out for cs 600p echo, I am kicking myself so hard for not clicking the bid button last night. Wife was home! Greg54

Back