Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks and I am steering clear of efco's, like I said I missed an echo cs 600p last night for $400 and thats my fault. Next one on there for around 400-450- is coming to me. Watch that saw on you tube, I have a cs 400 I bought and it is very impressive for 40cc s w/18 in bar, my 353 husqvarna isnt a whole lot more power and its new too. the echo 600 is 13 lbs thats the part I dont like but the power is unreal. Greg54

I think i figured it out what moutain lake was refering to....we went from comparing echo 600 to cp400. We all know a efco 152 will smoke the cp400 but im not sure about the 600...what is that a 60cc saw? LOL..id put my efco 152 up against a stock echo 60cc saw..but not a stock 152...they are just a notch above husky 350/353.....I did compare one to a dolmar 5100 long time ago....but wasnt fair as the efco was running .325 and the dolmy was running 3/8 chain. Pretty close...too close to tell them apart without the same B &C

Last edited:
efco performance vs others

I read so much different bs about 346 vs ms 260/261 who cares they are just 50cc saws my 353 is very strong so far and it doesnt have to run 14,500 to do it. And a husqvarna 350 is a clammshell engine just like efco 152, just watch the video on you tube of that loose engine rocking side to side( who knows maybe the 4 bolts are loose) Yes I saw the hp was great on the efco 152 but its a occassional user all the efcos in the video's are cutting fast almost like the log is balsa wood. I found a shindaiwa 488 w/new chain for $150, looks good so far but havent seen in person, its rated at 3.5hp and its only 49cc but they say they will cut.There is nothing wrong with a clamshell engine,in fact it will never have a chance to suck bar oil from a blown gasket.Besides who wants to keep the same saw forever? Some bozo on ebay has a racing 346xp, he's asking $999.00 get a grip I just want good dependable saws that run good, but echos are just as good a saw as the next brand.I wont pay for stihls name and husqvarna isnt the best either. Its to each his own.My main problem with efco's are parts and no dealers. I'd like to test a 346 and 261 and I could tell you in 1 minute if they are what they are cracked up to be. It would really take a lot to impress me.they both just whistle smooth and cut fast on youtube. but they $500-600 dollars. Stihl crazy said efcos had case issues (cracks,etc) But you dont know if the guy dropped the saw or what.PS the Shindaiwa has two rings also. Its too early to be up Greg54 out

Im not trying to be mean...but as far as performance goes...efco's walk all over echo's in about every class. I have a husky 350 with a ported 346 topend that gets smoked by my 952/152 thats also ported. I guess all im saying is...if you think a echo cs-600 is cool....you should run a stock efco 152 or even 147. They are both under $400 and are real screamers stock...a muff mod and woods port and you have one of the most efficient firewood saws out there. There are only 2 saws that i can think of thats currently produced in the 50cc class that could beat the efco in stock form. The stihl ms-261 and husky 346 NE are like $200 more brand new. Like mentioned way back in the beginning of this thread....the 152 in NOT a clam shell design. It is a drop-in engine platform which means the engine is separate from the saw itself. Cool for R/C applications

You got to be kidding same as saying a Efco 152 will run with a 361 Stihl, my stock Echo Cs520 saws cut right with my Efco 156 (Cub Cadet). When you start comparing ported saws everything goes out the window, take a look at Masterminds ported CS520. I'd bet that saw will eat any of yours. I'm putting toegther a John Deere Efco 152 right now and will report on how it cuts compared to my 50 cc Echo saws. I find NOTHING wrong with a good closed port clamshell engine. Easy to work on . Greg, the Efco 152 is not a clam shell engine but is harder to work on than Echo saws, it's how they are put toeghter not what type of engine they are. Also I have a 488 Shindaiwa, no where near the cutting speed of my CS520 saws. Steve

Last edited:
efco 152 on ebay right now has plastic case

I was looking at efco 152 currently on ebay it is a plastic case so how will the bottom of engine be supported. I think the echo cs 400 is the same but I love that saw(so far) 5 days ago I never heard anything about efco saws.I have never seen one up close or had one apart, husqvarna 350 is the same with the aluminum cover that supports main bearings and supplys a place for engine to bolt down but they're good saws. My only gripe about efco's is no dealers in my area and like stihl crazy (efco dealer) said some of them have case problems. I actually loved the way that 152 looks and its light, I love the 10 lb saws.That guy on ebay selling them wants top dollar because he is a dealer. If you have an echo 50cc saw do you like it? I was really getting serious about the cs 600p but have found a 49cc shindaiwa. I dont know how it looks up close yet but parts are easy to get and reasonable. Whoever said once you get one saw you will get more was right, they are addicting. OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH Greg 54 have a great day tax time is here.

I didnt say that efcos walk all over echos

Hey mountainlake that wasnt me that was slipknot that said efcos would walk all over echos, look at his equip mostly efco's. I like them all as long as they are about 5lbs including bar with 15 hp and 20 in bar. Wouldnt that be nice. I like echo's cs 600p, want to buy eventually. Hows the 50cc you have? My 353 isnt what I expected and its 51.7cc. It runs good but I am only on my third tank of gas and it keeps getting better. Have a great day and dont cut off any feet or fingers, greg54

Here is my advice on buying a saw. Buy the one you "want" most, whether it is saw or brand. For the 5-10 cord per year guy any saw will do. The 2 questions I ask anyone coming into the shop where I work ( I work at a Stihl dealership) are;

1- What is your planned use.
2- What do you really want.

If you really want brand X but buy brand Y to save a few dollars you will be unhappy with the purchase, the saw and the dealership for selling it to you.

I have turned down sales and sent people to a different dealership because you can tell what people really want.

I like all brands. I found weaknesses in some Efco products because I pushed them past there limits to see how tough they were. Have done the same with every brand I have used, before buying them for my woods crews. Every saw has some short comings.

If you are serious about a saw purchase the dealer should give you a demo, then you will know if the saw is for you. We do it every week.

Bottom line. Find a good dealer. Listen to their advice, and you decide. Its your saw afterall.

You got to be kidding same as saying a Efco 152 will run with a 361 Stihl, my stock Echo Cs520 saws cut right with my Efco 156 (Cub Cadet). When you start comparing ported saws everything goes out the window, take a look at Masterminds ported CS520. I'd bet that saw will eat any of yours. I'm putting toegther a John Deere Efco 152 right now and will report on how it cuts compared to my 50 cc Echo saws. I find NOTHING wrong with a good closed port clamshell engine. Easy to work on . Greg, the Efco 152 is not a clam shell engine but is harder to work on than Echo saws, it's how they are put toeghter not what type of engine they are. Also I have a 488 Shindaiwa, no where near the cutting speed of my CS520 saws. Steve

Mountainlake....you confused me...i never said a efco 152 will run with a stihl 361. I did say that the only 2 current production saws in the 50cc class that will outrun a efco 152 is a stihl ms261 and husky 346NE. I do however think my stock efco 156 will run with a stock ms361. As far as my port jobs go...Mastermind's should be faster and I bet your's will be too. You guys are some of the ones i like to learn from as you and him are way more experienced than me. You are right though...should not compare ported saw for ported saw by different porters...im learning port work is like art work. I have a long way to go before id try and compete with ya'll.

On the other thing i said...when you compare 50cc for 50cc class saw..IMO...I do not believe echo can compete performance wise with efco. They make quality stuff but they put emissions and fuel efficiency before cutting speed. If that offends anyone im sorry...I took mine back to home depot.
Back to that greg??? dude.......if you think that cs-400 is cool..run and efco in the same 40cc class....I mentioned running a 152 also...be about the same money spent for a more powerful/faster cutting machine...if that offends you..ooops my bad again. Why post here asking for opinions if they hurt your feelings. You made mountain lake hurt my feelings and now this thread feels uneasy...lol

Hey mountainlake that wasnt me that was slipknot that said efcos would walk all over echos, look at his equip mostly efco's. I like them all as long as they are about 5lbs including bar with 15 hp and 20 in bar. Wouldnt that be nice. I like echo's cs 600p, want to buy eventually. Hows the 50cc you have? My 353 isnt what I expected and its 51.7cc. It runs good but I am only on my third tank of gas and it keeps getting better. Have a great day and dont cut off any feet or fingers, greg54

Greg , sure wasn't blaming you for a comment like slipknot made . Most closed port 50 cc saws are going to be close in cutting speed with the open port ones being quite a bit slower. The Efco 152 is closed port so it should cut good but it's not going to cut as fast as a closed port CS600 or MS361 unless it's ported. Give your 353 a few more tanks and make sure it's not too lean or rich, is the 353 closed or open port? My Rancher 55 open port is real gutlees compared to my Echo CS520 saws. Steve

Greg whoever you are, you have derided Efco's because parts are expensive (the fact very few are needed and they aren't out of line with others doesn't seem to sink in), there aren't any dealers, (Shindaiwia dealers are common??????) and you like Echos, which I believe has been swallowed by Redmax, which was swallowed by the Huskavarna, and which has more plastic per pound of saw than about anything other than Fisher Price.

Doesn't seem you know what you want, guess thats why you are here. Find an Echo or Shinny thread, and ask about them.

if you want a quality magnesium-cased saw for a price comparable to the big box saws you need to buy used. olympic, efco, echo, poulan, homelite, stihl, husqvarna, plus others i haven't mentioned were well-built and still performing after decades. otherwise, if you want a less-expensive saw you're gonna have to go to a big box. your choice. now you've tested the water, its time to jump in. let us know what you decide.
as far as lack of dealers - big whoop. learn how to fix your own saws. unless you abuse them or run them into the ground most saws don't break down very often. parts are available on AS, after-market dealers, and OEM dealers.

Last edited:
353 I dont know

I dont know this is my first $400+ husqvarna, I went with 353 as I didnt see the need for 346xp, they're nice but I am not racing anyone. By closed and open port do you mean does it have those metal covers on the cylinder sides? I bought the echo cs 400 I have after trying a friends and was very impressed slipknot also thinks a efco 40cc would be better than echo 40cc. And I have a husqvarna 142 40cc and I'd say the echo has more chugging power.But the husqvarna is about even at the topend. Gotta run

Mountainlake....you confused me...i never said a efco 152 will run with a stihl 361. I did say that the only 2 current production saws in the 50cc class that will outrun a efco 152 is a stihl ms261 and husky 346NE. I do however think my stock efco 156 will run with a stock ms361. As far as my port jobs go...Mastermind's should be faster and I bet your's will be too. You guys are some of the ones i like to learn from as you and him are way more experienced than me. You are right though...should not compare ported saw for ported saw by different porters...im learning port work is like art work. I have a long way to go before id try and compete with ya'll.

On the other thing i said...when you compare 50cc for 50cc class saw..IMO...I do not believe echo can compete performance wise with efco. They make quality stuff but they put emissions and fuel efficiency before cutting speed. If that offends anyone im sorry...I took mine back to home depot.
Back to that greg??? dude.......if you think that cs-400 is cool..run and efco in the same 40cc class....I mentioned running a 152 also...be about the same money spent for a more powerful/faster cutting machine...if that offends you..ooops my bad again. Why post here asking for opinions if they hurt your feelings. You made mountain lake hurt my feelings and now this thread feels uneasy...lol

I don't have any ported saws over here just muff modded. Yes as Echo saws come they are set lean and have a clogged up muff, taking care of those 2 things they will cut with any saw cc for cc. When I get my 152 Efco toether I'll run it against my CS520, most like will be close but would bet on the Echo which has way bigger ports than the 152. Steve

Mountain lake...I thought you were the one that did the deere cs62 a while back? Did I get you mixed up with someone else? I will agree with unplugging the echo...just dont forget to unplug the efco too...I would agree that echo's are more plugged up than efco's...lol.

Mountain lake...I thought you were the one that did the deere cs62 a while back? Did I get you mixed up with someone else? I will agree with unplugging the echo...just dont forget to unplug the efco too...I would agree that echo's are more plugged up than efco's...lol.

You are thinking of Mntgun I believe. I don't know about the Echo but the Efco 52 I have had a lot of room for improvement.

No, never ported one (yet). I'll open the muff on the 152 same as my 520 then compare. Steve

I cant wait to get a hold of one of the new 152 cylinders with removable port covers. It would then be like the husky 350's ease of porting. I guess a 147/947 would work to.

Back