Efco 152 long term test

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever ratio you run, make sure your carb is adjusted to the mix you use. More oil means your fuel mix is thicker and flows slower so often the carb screw adjustments need opened up a bit to compensate.

So, can we say, as a rule, whatever ratio of oil to gas you use, your carb should be adjusted accordingly? So, if I remove the limiters and turn H up 1/4 to 1/2, I should also be changing the fuel ratio, perhaps down to 45/1?

So, can we say, as a rule, whatever ratio of oil to gas you use, your carb should be adjusted accordingly? So, if I remove the limiters and turn H up 1/4 to 1/2, I should also be changing the fuel ratio, perhaps down to 45/1?

Choose whatever ratio you like between 40:1 and 50:1
Stick to it to the best of your ability.
To set your carb richer remember to go counter-clockwise with the H and L.

When you turn the screws your changing the fuel to air ratio.
When you mix gas with oil that is the gas to oil ratio, differant.
But by changing the gas to oil ratio, it will affect the fuel to air ratio, sometimes enough it will need re adjusted. You may need to reinstall the limiter caps to keep the screws from turning on their own . Just move them to allow more adjustment, richer. Do a search on limiter caps and carb adjustment before diving in and risking problems. There has been good threads with more detailed procedures.

Going to get it back together and run it when it warms up. Been busy with repairs in the shop. My gear goes on the back burner when paying customers show up.

On the strength of this thread and some local talk I have just ordered a 152, 18" bar from a local dealer who just started up with Efco. I was looking at their Jonsereds too, but the 5 year warranty snagged my decision. Cant wait!

Post your findings when you get the saw. Initial reactions, then please don't forget us after you've used it a while.

man i love this thread. been using olys for years and at times wondered if anyone else had ever owned/used one. good to "meet" some of the dealers too. just wish efco would get their supply line in order. my local dealer didn't even know that olys had been made by efco. maybe i was talking to the idiot cousin though. anyways, never been back. can't wait to see the muffler mods and the conclusion of the tests.

man i love this thread. been using olys for years and at times wondered if anyone else had ever owned/used one. good to "meet" some of the dealers too. just wish efco would get their supply line in order. my local dealer didn't even know that olys had been made by efco. maybe i was talking to the idiot cousin though. anyways, never been back. can't wait to see the muffler mods and the conclusion of the tests.

I like this thread too...cant wait for SC to get his customers taken care of so he can get back to the matter at hand..lol. What sucks is he may make us wait till it warms up:at-wits-end:

You want to see 152 muffler mods? I have 2 different versions i can post...152's are the easiest saw ever to muff mod...IMO
View attachment 168709View attachment 168710View attachment 168711
attachment.php

Last edited:
anyone ever modded a 200 series? thats what i got, thats what i'd mod. a step-by-step would be really helpful. i know, i know - there are mod threads somewhere else in AS but this is where i'm at now. lazy too.

anyone ever modded a 200 series? thats what i got, thats what i'd mod. a step-by-step would be really helpful. i know, i know - there are mod threads somewhere else in AS but this is where i'm at now. lazy too.

Not sure how well they will benefit considering they are older and less restricted by the epa....just have to take the muffler apart and do your thing. Muffler mods are the easiest modification that most anyone can do to their saw....also makes them last longer if you do it right.....more fuel flow, better lubrication, runs cooler.

not sure how to git one apart but gonna have to since one has somethin rattling around inside. that can't be good. luckily i have spares for just that eventuality

Probably a 3rd screw that holds the muff on....or the baffle came apart....there u modified it on accident!! Nah im not to familiar with the older 200 series....If i ever see one cheap enough Im going to snag it.....I heard they are built like frikin tanks...and they have exhaust stingers...I think every saw should have exhaust stingers...better looking/sounding than deflectors..

ignorance check - what's an exhaust stinger?

yes, my saws are from early 80's and they are built like tanks. actually ran over one once (duh!) and only bent the handle and broke a chip off the sprocket cover. cost more to have it welded back on but it was worth it to me.

exhaust stinger is a small pipe for an exhaust outlet instead of a deflector.
I get that term from my other hobby radio control monster trucks and planes and soon to be boats.

The only 200 series i have see up close had a small pipe sticking out of the muffler....when i modded one of my 152's i welded a double stinger...changed the sound made have a lot more pop to it.

John Deere Chainsaw CS52 (aka Efco 152) handle/tank assembly needed

I am looking for a rear handle/tank assembly. Used or new. Need price and availability please.

Oh my! The 152 is pretty stout stock. A assume that those double stacks made a little difference? :popcorn:

The 152 is for sure stout stock..it definitely responds to a muff mod....but as far as the dbl stacks go....I just wanted to try out one of those cheap harbor freight tig welders...it doesn't run any better than the other one I modded....just sounds/looks cooler that's all. What I don't like about the efco muffs is that they rust easy and if you take the baffles out of them they will crack in the back towards the exhaust port. DO NOT take the baffle out..they need to stay in there for structural support....I did however drill more holes into the baffle. I think there is 2 on one side so i just made 2 more strait through.

Back