EFCO 152 sprocket tip clogging, any suggestions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakcutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I own an Efco 152. Recently I was cutting and the sprocket tip on the bar became so clogged with wood chips that I needed a screwdriver and vise to get it unclogged (several times). Yes, it did have oil and the bar was oiled. And I grease the tip everytime I fill up the oil. I have never seen this, just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Is the bar junk or defective? A saw shop around here told me the bar is junk. Looking for any help, thanks.

Tree's are sappy this time of year. Try to let the saw self feed and clear the chips

How old is the bar? When they get older sometimes the channel widens where the sprocket is so that residue can accumulate easier. Might be time for a replacement.

I would do what 7sleeper said. If the bar looks fine then I would just keep cleaning it until you finish up the job. Might only keep doing that on certain trees. But if it becomes a habit with that type of a wood, then a hardnose is your best option.

Flush the grease out of it as best you can with whatever snakeoil spray cocncotion you can find, carb spray, wd40, blasts of air, maybe something stronger. Or squirt mix in there, or soak it, stick the nose down in a can of something, and dissolve it out. Maybe PB blaster. anything. Then, hand drip in there some real lightweight oil as a pre lube, then mount it and let the bar oil do the sprocket nose lubing.

Grease just sucks up dirt and dust and crud and it sticks there. I used to grease nose sprockets but no longer because of that.

So could it be that the bar is bad? The guy we asked at the saw shop said it is, and I know he is honest and knows his stuff............

So could it be that the bar is bad? The guy we asked at the saw shop said it is, and I know he is honest and knows his stuff............

Well, ya, it happens, especially if gunk got in there and messed up the bearings, or now the rails are spread, etc.

Bars are consumables, just get a decent new one and be done with it. Don't know if yours is a replaceable sprocket tip or not, or what mount you need, or whatever..but there are zillions of new and used bars out there. If you trust your shop guy, and he says it is bad..it is bad.

Flush the grease out of it as best you can with whatever snakeoil spray cocncotion you can find, carb spray, wd40, blasts of air, maybe something stronger. Or squirt mix in there, or soak it, stick the nose down in a can of something, and dissolve it out. Maybe PB blaster. anything. Then, hand drip in there some real lightweight oil as a pre lube, then mount it and let the bar oil do the sprocket nose lubing.

Grease just sucks up dirt and dust and crud and it sticks there. I used to grease nose sprockets but no longer because of that.

Great advice as always!
I quit greasing my bars years ago cuz of this!!

You need a bar with an Oregon K095 mount, and in what ever gauge and pitch your chain is. Get a new chain with the new bar, use the chain you have as a spare.

Make sure you are using enough oil, your saw does have an adjustable oiler, and the oil tank should be almost empty after using an almost full tank of fuel.

Well, I called Oregon, as it was an Oregon bar. They said to send it in, they'd take a look at it. We'll see what they have to say........

UPDATE--- A service tech from Oregon bar(Blount Inc) called me and we talked about what was happening with the bar. He said that he really couldn't find a problem with the bar. He also said that Oregon believes in their products, and if it wasn't working as it should for whatever reason, then they are going to send me a new bar. And they did. You don't find customer service like that anymore. I am impressed. And a customer for life for that. I will never buy another chain or bar other than an Oregon. :) We often complain about products on here, but seldom do we talk about success stories, just thought I'd share this.

UPDATE--- A service tech from Oregon bar(Blount Inc) called me and we talked about what was happening with the bar. He said that he really couldn't find a problem with the bar. He also said that Oregon believes in their products, and if it wasn't working as it should for whatever reason, then they are going to send me a new bar. And they did. You don't find customer service like that anymore. I am impressed. And a customer for life for that. I will never buy another chain or bar other than an Oregon. :) We often complain about products on here, but seldom do we talk about success stories, just thought I'd share this.

good update! glad it worked out for you.

Goes to show that a cool heads talking and listening can lead to positive results. Never is a very long time, however. But you would have some difficulty in buying a non Oregon bar, as they have pretty much bought the competition out, for better or worse.

You've experienced both. And I am glad it worked out, for both customer and manufacturer.

Latest posts

Back