efco 981

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggonetrees

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a 981 with 3 foot bar- 200.00. Was wondering if anyone has any input on these saws, as they aren't that common around here. Also picked up 335 xpt and stihl 025- 125 each. Seems as if everyone has finished with their cleanup from Katrina and are dumping their saws.:givebeer:

doggonetrees said:
Just purchased a 981 with 3 foot bar- 200.00. Was wondering if anyone has any input on these saws, as they aren't that common around here. Also picked up 335 xpt and stihl 025- 125 each. Seems as if everyone has finished with their cleanup from Katrina and are dumping their saws.:givebeer:

From what I understand they tend to be rough on chassis parts, broken AV mounts seem to be quite common.

Same saw as my 971 only with a larger bore top end and different carb.

A decent saw, if a little underpowered for the weight. I wouldn't pull a 3' bar with it though.

efco

The make some of John Deere's saws I have heard nothing but good things. But i cannot speak for the older models.:yoyo: :bowdown: :D

:cheers:
retoocs555 said:
From what I understand they tend to be rough on chassis parts, broken AV mounts seem to be quite common.

Same saw as my 971 only with a larger bore top end and different carb.

A decent saw, if a little underpowered for the weight. I wouldn't pull a 3' bar with it though.[/QUOTE

If you wanted to pull a 3 foot or longer bar you would need one of those bone shaking Mccullochs like sp 125 cheers 555:cheers: :jawdrop:

Yep, probably downsize to 28", not getting that big of a call for large tree removals. Besides, have a three foot bar on one of my 044 saws. Thinking of getting one of them tuned to be able to use on my Alaskan sawmill- does anyone know where I can send it to get this done? All the posts I have seen here seem to be Washington state based or Ontario. Maybe a port job and muffler job?

doggonetrees said:
Yep, probably downsize to 28", not getting that big of a call for large tree removals. Besides, have a three foot bar on one of my 044 saws. Thinking of getting one of them tuned to be able to use on my Alaskan sawmill- does anyone know where I can send it to get this done? All the posts I have seen here seem to be Washington state based or Ontario. Maybe a port job and muffler job?

28" would be perfect on that saw. :rockn:

Back