Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Around here, eggs in the grocery store are back down to $1.19 doz. Unless you fall for the all organic, free range stuff. Everybody and all their kinfolk started raising back yard birds. I saw some breeds bringing $60 for one hen. Now those folks are lucky if their birds will bring $5 for hens and roosters are free for the taking. Feed prices havent came back down yet. Layer mash around $17 a bag, whole corn $10, for 50lbs at the farm. It cheaper to just buy eggs.

Around here, eggs in the grocery store are back down to $1.19 doz. Unless you fall for the all organic, free range stuff. Everybody and all their kinfolk started raising back yard birds. I saw some breeds bringing $60 for one hen. Now those folks are lucky if their birds will bring $5 for hens and roosters are free for the taking. Feed prices havent came back down yet. Layer mash around $17 a bag, whole corn $10, for 50lbs at the farm. It cheaper to just buy eggs.

We still get feed from a local mill $11.50 a 50 pound bag. You’re right it’s cheaper but I enjoy it. With the meat birds gone that sure saves feed and water. I also have 12 midget white turkeys.

I am not sure if folks realize it but they can get their corn for free if they are willing to do some labor

New Idea #10 older than dirt and just as rusty.
We had a #319 mounted on a Allis D-17. I then went to a #324 pull type. When we went to 30" rows I bought a #331 3 row pull type which I still have. I bought a ole UNI along the way but that is a sore subject

We had a #319 mounted on a Allis D-17. I then went to a #324 pull type. When we went to 30" rows I bought a #331 3 row pull type which I still have. I bought a ole UNI along the way but that is a sore subject
This one is pulled by 69 Massey ferguson 135 diesel. More of a hobby to me and my friend about two years before didn't have a corn picker and had to do it by hand now that was a job. We do shell it by hand with a IH 1 corn sheller now that is a job! i do save the corn cobs for the stove as they burn nice and hot.

Well saw something new the other day. Small farm stand selling eggs. No that's not the unusual part that part is they are selling them at 25cents each!, not by the dozen!
mite go well with a sign like FS posted up... well, shortage of hens = shortage of eggs.

"eggs 25-cents each~ " 🤩

:givebeer:
1693283925046.png

i seen eggs like that! funny thing is the yolks look like this...
1693283611436.png

not this 🍊

Never had need of a picker. The most corn I ever planted was about an acre. Even that I didnt pick but cut it all down and ground corn, and cob and shuck for cattle feed. I would cut a pickup load of green stalks and throw inside the fence, cows loved it. Since I never kept more than 2 or 4 head, It didnt take much to keep them fed. Now I just plant enough corn to make roasting ears and grind into meal. I buy shell corn to crack, a couple hundred lbs at a time, for my chickens.
Got 6 acres of hickory cane to harvest soon.
Have you ever tried white polific. I have tried both Polific and Hickory cane and think the polific makes the best corn meal.

I think I finally figured out why my hens havent been laying worth a hoot all year. I buy my feed corn from a local grower and then crack it for making feed. I keep a 5gal feeder full at all time for the corn and another feeder for the layer mash. I had noticed that the birds where not eating the corn, which I think is very unusual. After the feeder hanging in the coop for about two months and not being eaten, I decided to feed it to the deer. Well its been a couple weeks now and the deer havent touched the corn, even worse, the Squirrels havent touched it, nor the crows either. Nothing seems to want to eat this corn. I can see the corn pile from my porch and I have seen deer and Squirrels close to the pile. This leads me to believe something is wrong with this corn and what ever it is it is causing me birds to not lay. I took all corn out of the coup when I removed the 5 gal feeder and replaced it with 21% layer pellets and I am starting to get a few eggs, not many, one a day, but is certainly better than the zero I have gotten for the last few months. anybody got any suggestions as to what could be wrong with the corn that nothing will eat it.

I think I finally figured out why my hens havent been laying worth a hoot all year. I buy my feed corn from a local grower and then crack it for making feed. I keep a 5gal feeder full at all time for the corn and another feeder for the layer mash. I had noticed that the birds where not eating the corn, which I think is very unusual. After the feeder hanging in the coop for about two months and not being eaten, I decided to feed it to the deer. Well its been a couple weeks now and the deer havent touched the corn, even worse, the Squirrels havent touched it, nor the crows either. Nothing seems to want to eat this corn. I can see the corn pile from my porch and I have seen deer and Squirrels close to the pile. This leads me to believe something is wrong with this corn and what ever it is it is causing me birds to not lay. I took all corn out of the coup when I removed the 5 gal feeder and replaced it with 21% layer pellets and I am starting to get a few eggs, not many, one a day, but is certainly better than the zero I have gotten for the last few months. anybody got any suggestions as to what could be wrong with the corn that nothing will eat it.
New gmo corn thats sprayed with engineered glyphosate I would guess

Back