Elasto-start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting older thread. o, I havesome questions:

Is this a Stihl only product now, as in they have it patented?

Do any other companies carry a similar product?

Can you purchase any place just generic rolls of the stuff for cheap?

How long does it last compared to regular starter cord?

The cord is the same as any other Stihl cord. Elasto-start is all in the handle. Take one apart sometime, you'll see.

Forester makes some. They look really close to the Stihl Elastostart.

Of course Stihl has the name Elast-O-Start on patent..!!

I know of no other companies that offer a similar product..??

No answer on last question..No probs so far..!!..I have it on two of my saws..love it..!!
:cheers:
J2F

I like it on my FS200, but am considering changing it for an ordinary one on my MS361 - as it seems to take some of the snap out of the pull, for cold starts.

Not a big deal though! :smile2:

The cord is the same as any other Stihl cord. Elasto-start is all in the handle. Take one apart sometime, you'll see.

Oh, I thought it was just some form of elastic band cord. I didn't know there was an additional mechanism with it. I'll have to look and see if I can find a picture or schematic of it now.

I don't have one to take apart and AFAIK have never used one. I am mostly a ten buck get it fixed old magnesium junker guy now, I really don't handle or look at new or used stihls, just too expensive. I am interested in this handle mechanism though, would like to try to adapt it for a small lawnmower so my GF can start one. Got her an electric start "ohh, too heavy, can't push it or steer it"

Grumble....I tried....

She can run a little push mower and actually likes to, but arthritis got to her hands and she can't start anything anymore. She likes my battery saw because it is on/off, but I haven't found a cheap enough deal on a battery mower yet, so I thought just an easier to start small one might work.

Or shoot, maybe I am a retard here, do you mean literally in just the handle?? Nothing else inside the saw starter? What is it, just a spring inside the handle or something?

I am interested in this handle mechanism though, would like to try to adapt it for a small lawnmower so my GF can start one. Got her an electric start "ohh, too heavy, can't push it or steer it"
Grumble....I tried....
She can run a little push mower and actually likes to, but arthritis got to her hands and she can't start anything anymore.
Re-read post #37 above..!!!
:cheers:
J2F

I have Elasto-start handles on every Stihl product I own. I don't think I could do without them on the big saws. And they even make smaller ones for weedeaters and such. My FS250 actually has decent compression and the small elasto-start handle works great on that

Or shoot, maybe I am a retard here, do you mean literally in just the handle?? Nothing else inside the saw starter? What is it, just a spring inside the handle or something?

A portion of the cord is wrinkled up and "sealed" inside a stretchy rubber insert which resides in the actual handle. As you pull, the insert stretches...

A portion of the cord is wrinkled up and "sealed" inside a stretchy rubber insert which resides in the actual handle. As you pull, the insert stretches...

Thanks. I already went to the stihl website to see what they had, they said it is a shock absorber and they had a little picture of it as photoed through qualude-vision. I figured it out.

My cobjob (ain't gonna pay 20-30 bucks for that gimmick..this is why I don't own any stihl stuff, just unreal high prices I can't afford, that is what I pay for entire saws) is I will find a real short bungee cord, or piece of bungee cord, take the S hooks out, and tie that between the pull handle and the pull rope. Well, I am going to try that anyway, see if it makes the little mower easier to start for her.

Thanks again, I just didn't get it on what was supposed to be happening there. I really thought the actual entire cord stretched, and/or there was some other mechanism inside the saw.

Thanks. I already went to the stihl website to see what they had, they said it is a shock absorber and they had a little picture of it as photoed through qualude-vision. I figured it out.

My cobjob (ain't gonna pay 20-30 bucks for that gimmick..this is why I don't own any stihl stuff, just unreal high prices I can't afford, that is what I pay for entire saws) is I will find a real short bungee cord, or piece of bungee cord, take the S hooks out, and tie that between the pull handle and the pull rope. Well, I am going to try that anyway, see if it makes the little mower easier to start for her.

Thanks again, I just didn't get it on what was supposed to be happening there. I really thought the actual entire cord stretched, and/or there was some other mechanism inside the saw.

and then the bungee cord breaks....

you should check out the newer briggs/kohler engines. you can pull the cord half the speed of smell and they take off on the first pull. i have never had a customer that could never start one. its the 6.75 engines, and maybe but im not sure, the 6.25??? a 6.75 on a 22" poulan runs right around 200 if i remember right. the spring was a long time ago.

I have a couple of the Forester knock-offs. They use a spring instead of a polymer insert. The handle is smaller, and absorbs less shock, but it's still better than threading the cord through a hole drilled in a stick. It's also about a quarter the cost of an Elastostart. If you need to outfit a dozen NOW, the cheapy may be the way to go. Otherwise, stick with the Real Deal.

It's only a gimmick if it doesn't work. The Elasto start works very well, just as it was designed to.

Now a bungee cord... yeah, gimmick.

Don't get popped in the face.

It surely works - but I am not really sure that I like it though - really hard to decide......:givebeer:

i have observed that my 560xpg (without it) starts easier cold than my MS361W (with it) does - neither is a real issue though....:givebeer:

Last edited:
Elasto start

I have a stihl elasto start on my 288 husky and it is still a saw that needs a careful and determined pull if you dont want a nasty pull back but it does save the fingers and elbows , since it has been on the saw i have not had to use the ice pack after using the saw . It has bit me a few times , not sure what the compression is but its scary on a cold morning .

yep and it works a treat

attachment.php

I have Elasto-start handles on every Stihl product I own. I don't think I could do without them on the big saws. And they even make smaller ones for weedeaters and such. My FS250 actually has decent compression and the small elasto-start handle works great on that

Been thinking of switching mine over to the large handled one. Will have to compare it and see if it will still fit down into the holder though.

It's only a gimmick if it doesn't work. The Elasto start works very well, just as it was designed to.

Now a bungee cord... yeah, gimmick.

Don't get popped in the face.

I wasn't putting it down or saying it doesn't work, I was just trying to find out what the elasto part really was, and I found out.

And I just like cobjobbing, making do with what I have, that's all, thought I would maybe try it on one mower, see how it goes. The mower has a holder/guide ring for the cord that is much lower than the face, just not worried about that.

I have it on my new 660, its just as easy to start as my 310, was worried about
starting the 660 due to my arms not being what they used to was, but no problem..

Bob...:cheers:

Been thinking of switching mine over to the large handled one. Will have to compare it and see if it will still fit down into the holder though.

If I'm not mistaken, there are three different Elasto-start sizes. They all share the same part number, the only difference being cord diameter.

Back