Electric splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMike

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Who uses them and what kind?

I chose the one I want but it isn't available in stores in my area of the country.
Whats up with that?

any ways, just wondering what people are using and how they like em.

thanks

I have a small 5 ton from Menards. It will pop apart small stuff ok. Most of the time you need to exploit a crack though. Knots and crotches are a no go. If you have straight grain wood piece it does the job.

Elm laughs at it.

I have a 6-ton DR electric splitter, and have used it for more than three years now.

Works fairly well although the hydraulic seals blew last year from fairly low-level to normal use (repaired for free because it was still under extended warranty).

The best features of an electric are the small footprint, and the ability to use it indoors (or in a garage).

Owning an electric is also a great alternative to renting a gas-powered splitter. I previously would save up the splitting, then go full tilt all day and night splitting with the rental machine, and then return the splitter first thing the next morning. That was overkill and murder on my body. Now with the electric I can take it out easily whenever I want to, and can split for an hour or two at a time, and then put it away. That time convenience (compared to the alternative of renting) is well worth it to me. Plus, when I bought my electric splitter, it cost only about 6x the going rate for a day splitter rental in my area, so I've already recouped the cost (compared with renting).

My DR 6-ton splits most of what I feed it, but I pre-split the much bigger rounds as needed. As one might expect with a lower-powered splitter, it can get stuck on the more gnarly knots and such; then I split with wedges if I have to, or just saw that "ugly" down into stove-sized chunks.

I have a 6-ton DR electric splitter, and have used it for more than three years now.

The best features of an electric are the small footprint, and the ability to use it indoors (or in a garage).

My DR 6-ton splits most of what I feed it, but I pre-split the much bigger rounds as needed. As one might expect with a lower-powered splitter, it can get stuck on the more gnarly knots and such; then I split with wedges if I have to, or just saw that "ugly" down into stove-sized chunks.

I have the same one and agree with BriGuy89 on the above statements:agree2: . I bought the splitting tray attachment and built a table for mine to make splitting easier.

Right now I have alot of Hemlock and just cut maple to split. I also split Oak and birch alot.

The Hemlock is kinda scaring me because it is BIG hemlock and with the branch whirls, I wonder if an electric would do.

Thanks gentlemen

oh and, the smallest splitter on the DR web-site is 8 tons.

I won't pay $800 + shipping for that when I can spend a couple hundred more and get a gas splitter.

Keep an eyeball peeled at the inventory at TSC.

Usually, late in the winter and towards spring, they purposely reduce inventory of thier splitters, just like they do lawn mowers in the fall.
Right around febuary they drop prices on what they have in stock.

I picked up my Huskee 27 Ton that way for 1100 out the door.
My Brother picked up his 22 Ton for 900 bucks and change.

Electric has some advantages, but the disadvantage is that the electric splitters limit you to smaller rounds and wood with fewer knots.

Get bigger with the electric, and you are in a cost range that exceeds that of a good Gas splitter.

If ya just split a little as you go, say 1-2 Cords a year, the Good old Maul can't be beat unless you have a physical limitation.

Also keep an eyeball on the local trader papers. Quite often somebody has a used Gas splitter for sale, and at a good price, or just needing a little work for cheap.
I have seen used splitters going for 400 bucks around here.

Farm auctions and estate sales are another good place to find gems.

Good luck with the quest!!
Dingeryote

For small splitting, < 10 cords/year, go electric.
They're slow, but for the small amounts, who cares. More time to sip.:givebeer:
NO set up,. starting, fueling, fussing.
NO noise.
Split inside---on the dining room table---if allowed.
Maintenance is near zero.
For what the electric cannot do ( maybe 10%-15% ), get some maul and wedge exercise.
Use it for 10 minutes or an hour, easy when it's just a plug-in.

P.S. For our 6-8+ cords/year, I'll never go back to a fussy, noisy, smelly, hard-starting gas splitter. Never.

When the DR 5 ton 2000 electric dies, another will come, maybe more tonnage. Worth the money.

Just called TSC, they said they NEVER mark down splitters.

LOL!!!
Wait till it gets closer to spring. They may not "Mark them down", but they will have "Sales". At least they did at our local TSC. Store Managers Discretion I guess.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

1.5 hp motor, is that enough?

A grand will get you a 16 ton dilivered
I've been PMing with a member and he uses a 4 way with the 16 ton electric said it works fine.He's almost got me sold.

These ramsplitters are not mickey mouse splitters.They're full size splitters.I'm still thinking about getting one.
DON

Last edited:
Right now I have alot of Hemlock and just cut maple to split. I also split Oak and birch alot.

The Hemlock is kinda scaring me because it is BIG hemlock and with the branch whirls, I wonder if an electric would do.

Can't speak about hemlock because I have yet to split that with my little DR.

Last year I did a few cords of red oak and birch. The birch literally flew off the splitter. The red oak did a lot of flying too because so much of it was large and straight. Maple in the past has tended to go through very easily as well.

In short, anything straight will go through very easily. Wood with splits or knots will be slower and harder but still possible with a smaller electric, especially if you leverage the existing splits and cracks in the wood (that is, line those up with the wedge for better efficiency with the smaller electric).

I won't pay $800 + shipping for that when I can spend a couple hundred more and get a gas splitter.

Not if you want to use it indoors :greenchainsaw:

Tiny footprint and the ability to run it inside the house if desired are the big values of a smaller electric splitter.

started with a 4 ton ryobi two years ago ($300.00 at home depot) and it worked fine albeit a bit slow and for big stuff you had to shave it down the sides and not go through the middle. also my splits are no more than 11 inches long as my insert is very small

wood006.jpg

freewood.jpg

just picked up the 33 ton troy built at lowes for $1,500.00

043033520060md.jpg

so i suspect the ryobi will be on kindling duty from now on

Last edited:
started with a 4 ton ryobi two years ago ($300.00 at home depot) and it worked fine albeit a bit slow and for big stuff you had to shave it down the sides and not go through the middle. also my splits are no more than 11 inches long as my insert is very small

wood006.jpg

freewood.jpg

just picked up the 33 ton troy built at lowes for $1,500.00

043033520060md.jpg

so i suspect the ryobi will be on kindling duty from now on

That Troy-Built looks like my MTD with a Honda 5.5 engine. It's slow but has given me 5 years of trouble free service. I bought it at Home Desperate. My neighbor has a electric splitter he swears by. Not sure what brand it is though.

acually the 33 ton came with the 8 hp commercial honda (gx240) and it is made by troy built in america from reading the posts here even though mtd owns the company

Save up your money for a gas splitter. My neighbor bought a 6 HP electric 5 years ago that hasn't come out of the shed in nearly 5 years. He says its easier and faster to split what it can handle by hand.

Then when you save up the money, go buy something that's NOT owned by MTD, though that gets more difficult all the time.

Latest posts

Back