eliminating base gasmet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshnnh

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
When people referto removing the base gasket what is a good sealent to use in its place. Can't just take it out and bolt it straight on can you? I'm pretty new to this and would like to buy the best gasket sealant that I can. And just how mch can I expext from such a mod. Also I have access to a full machine shop and can operate most of the machinery comfortably. Are pop up pistons worth while.

permatex_motoseal.jpg

Yea, I understand what it is. Just wondering if it is a worth while mod. Again I'm pretty new to modding chainsaws. All though I will admit I do not know how to measure squish or shrink squish bands. That's what I'm trying to learn next. I have muffler mods down pretty well. And have a good understanding of porting. Not much experiance though. I have the tools to open them up and machine out alloy. But I'm still getting a grip on the degree wheel and port duration. Everyone here has been real cool as far as answering questions and helping me out

I've used permatex high temp gasket sealed which is red when I rebuilt 2 Pro Mac 700. There isn't a gasket for the cylinder on those and both have ran very well since the rebuild.

Oh how I would love to have access to a full machine shop. I have used yama 4 on a bunch of saws including a full tank gasket on an old Mac.

If I were you definately do your homework on port timing and use the tools at your disposal to cut cylinders. Great luck.

I prefer to cut the squish band and then the base to set the squish over a pop up. And for the same reasons I prefer to retain a factory gasket. But there's advantages to both. Cutting the squish band changes your exhaust, transfer and intake timing. A pop up only changes intake timing assuming squish is set the same.

Anybody use Mega Black? I did a couples saws with it a few years ago and just pulled the jug on one. Stuff held up fine.

I have found it easy to machine the base and use a gasket now and prefer that.

Back