Embarasing problem w/361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nateskate

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I lent my dad my 361 and he calls me and said that it starts, revs high and then dies. Saw is practicaly new. He then let me know that he left it in the back of the truck in the rain and found water in the tank. He purged the tank and put in new stihl mix and gassed her up. Still fires great but then when you go to rev her she dies. How much damage am I going to find? You ever feel like you got smacked in the back of the head w/ a 2x4?:dizzy:

Man - no offense - I know its your DAD and all...... But damn.... :chainsaw: I'd be telling him to take it to the Stihl dealer, and have them make it right!! I mean - HE is the one that left it out in the rain!! :dizzy:

He'll make it right he even mentioned taking it in. But my old man will probably think he can fix whatevers wrong and have the whole thing torn apart by tomorrow, he already has been messin w/ the mixture, he told me on the phone. my problem is I wanted to cut over the holiday. Could it just need the carb cleaned or will water damage a lot more? My stomach hurts.

Last I knew a saw could handle a little rain LMAO!!!

Maybe he failed to mention.... that his truck bed FILLED UP with water during the rain!?? :cry:

He'll make it right he even mentioned taking it in. But my old man will probably think he can fix whatevers wrong and have the whole thing torn apart by tomorrow, he already has been messin w/ the mixture, he told me on the phone. my problem is I wanted to cut over the holiday. Could it just need the carb cleaned or will water damage a lot more? My stomach hurts.

Wow :eek: go NOW.... Get it out of his hands - right away quick like!!! :buttkick:

But really - as long as you can get the water dried up - where ever it is.... I would think, it really shouldn't cause any other problems, after you get it outa there....

I know its your dad and all, but tell him to stop messing with it. Why would he mess with the mixture if he knew the tank was full of water???? Tell him to check his gas can.

Sounds like there is water in the carb. It is amazing that just little water in a carb will make it run like crap. It sounds like you got more than just a little water in the carb though. Take the carb out and clean it and blow the carb out gently with compressed air. I would also take all the covers off and pray every part of the saw with WD-40. If you think the saw saw under water you may take the top end off also. If not get it started and run her hard and hot before the bearings start to rust. What ever you do you need to do it as soon as you can.

Water ain't got nothin' to do with it...

You say he would start it... it would rev "high" then die... Sounds really really lean... he either straight gassed it... or there is an airleak somewhere. If he did this repeatedly... you might have a scored cylinder and piston.

Pull your muffler and check the piston...

Gary

water ain't got nothin' to do with it...

You say he would start it... It would rev "high" then die... Sounds really really lean... He either straight gassed it... Or there is an airleak somewhere. If he did this repeatedly... You might have a scored cylinder and piston.

Gary

x2

you mentioned he was tinkering with the mixture after it "ingested" water. i think he may have been doing so prior to this and has lean-seized the saw. stop running it until you determine the problem. it may only need a piston and ring at this point. continue to run it and you may need to add a cylinder the order-list.

Water ain't got nothin' to do with it...

You say he would start it... it would rev "high" then die... Sounds really really lean... he either straight gassed it... or there is an airleak somewhere. If he did this repeatedly... you might have a scored cylinder and piston.

Gary

thanks for the good news. I told him tomorrow that we'd together, take the carb apart and clean it and run it hot. He said that he did run it hot and then it quit again. He said it ran hard for a couple of minutes then died. I know he did'nt straight gas it. He knows better than that.

I guess if the cleaning dont work then I can check the piston.

thanks for the good news. I told him tomorrow that we'd together, take the carb apart and clean it and run it hot. He said that he did run it hot and then it quit again. He said it ran hard for a couple of minutes then died. I know he did'nt straight gas it. He knows better than that.
I guess if the cleaning dont work then I can check the piston.

I know he's your dad... but don't be suprised... it happens. Sorry mang. :)

You need to check the piston first. Don't start it again until you have. Pull the spark plug and use a flashlight to inspect the exhaust side cylinder wall.

Exactly what Brad said... do not mess with the carb and try to start it. Assess if there is any damage first. If the P&C are shot... screwin' with the carb will be the least of your worries. On a 361 you can have the muffler off in 2 minutes...

Gary

OK now you've got my attention even over the poundin in my head. What exactly am I looking for when I pull the mufler?

Back