End of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Already having saw withdrawal symptoms. Finished neatening up the wood pile and restocking the porch to replace what I have used already.

Loaded and hauled off to the wood patch all the chips, shavings, junk that accumulated over the summer.

Approx 20 cord. Oldest stuff is in the pile to the left and will be used first next winter. That stuff is, I think, 3 years old, may be 4. Just starting to show a bit of deterioration.

005.jpg

The empty "bin" by the garage. That is where the stuff in the woodshed, porch and 3 cords sold came out of. Also where the stuff I cut next year will go.

004-1.jpg

Hate the thought of sittign around doing nothing until about April. Could be out cutting but I can't see adding to that pile. Leaves get off teh trees, I might start on my new grove that needs a whole lot of cleaning up. Hasn't been touched in 30 years that I know of.

Harry K

That is one impressive pile of wood. Very neat and organized. Makes mine look like I threw it off the back of the truck and drove away.

Matt

Harry...... if you were a little closer, i'd suggest that you cut ten cord for me to ward off the boredom !

Nice woodpile!! :rock:

Hmmm... you could start numbering and inventorying each log. Maybe come up with a color coding system for tracking the age of each pile so you have a better handle on seasoning. and don't forget the twice weekly testing for water content - you'll need a good sized sample to ensure statistical validity.

When all else fails, you should probably go out and turn them over once a month so they dry out evenly.

'like your coffee strong, eh?

Well, it does give me plenty to stand out there and examine stick by stick, fondle, smell,....

Still haven't heard back from the guy who wants another 5 cord. I am hoping he changes his mind. It is willow and all he has is an open fireplace. I told him that I didn't think willow will work well for him. He took 1 cord for trial.

I have my Husky 51 that needs some serious attention. I used it the other day to cut the stump of a lilac below ground level. At a minimum a good clean up and chain sharp.

Log splitter needs to have an overhaul on the motor. Carbons up badly and will spit sputter, cough and in general run very poorly for several minutes before it will settle down to work. I should be pulling it off and getting it to town. Tempted to replace it (5hp 6x1 reduction) with an 11 horse I have but that would take a major rebuild to fit it on.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back