Engaging the chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to know if frequent use of the chain brake puts stress on the motor in any way if the brake is applied before the chain stops turning.

Any time I've finished a cut and and my right hand come off the gas, I hold on to the saw (460) with my left hand on the top grip, bring it down to my side and engage the chain brake by rocking the saw forward a bit and having the brake hit the back of my wrist. I hit the brake like this dozens of times a day, and sometimes the motor is still humming a little bit and hasn't gone down to idle yet. I like having the brake on whenever the saw is not actually cutting but I'm wondering if I'm damaging anything by using it this much or engaging it when the motor is not fully at idle.

Also, does anyone else use the brake like this? I've never seen anyone else do it around here.

I've seen training videos where they show to do that... I personally only lock the brake when I know I'll be walking any distance without using the saw.

I also grip the saw where my hand can't accidentally hit the trigger, though it's not foolproof. Best practices would be to do what you do... I can't see it hurting the saw.

i agree with Metals. one thing i will add is that i always carry the saw up, away, and in front of my body so that if i am tripping, i can chunk the saw away from me. i realize that best-practices says that the CB should be engaged anytime you are not cutting, but to to me, it is not practical to do this so i have adopted the throw-it-if-i'm-falling technique. if i am moving a distance away or through fallen trees/rough terrain, then the CB is engaged.

i agree with Metals. one thing i will add is that i always carry the saw up, away, and in front of my body so that if i am tripping, i can chunk the saw away from me. i realize that best-practices says that the CB should be engaged anytime you are not cutting, but to to me, it is not practical to do this so i have adopted the throw-it-if-i'm-falling technique. if i am moving a distance away or through fallen trees/rough terrain, then the CB is engaged.

I'm stuck cutting and carrying most of the day. If I'm limbing a downed tree or cutting some tangled mess, I'm always in need of moving what I've just cut in order to pile it at the side or to make the next cut. So there are lots of times I've got the saw in one hand and branches in the other, this is why I like to have the CB on. I also tend to leave my saw running on the ground when I'm chipping (say goodbye to the environment) so I don't have to start it each time I need to cut something to make it feed into the chipper, and I like to have the CB on then as well.

I used to find it impractical, as you say, to engage the CB all the time if using two hands to do it, but the quick rock forward while holding the saw one-handed by the top handle makes it super quick and easy. I do it all time now just on reflex when I'm finished a cut. I don't even think about it. I catch myself hitting the gas with the CB engaged lots of times. I think that's a good thing. or it could just be old age. I dunno.

I used to always engage the chain brake everytime it wasn't in the wood but now I only do it if I have to move around something or over something. Any time my feet aren't stable basically the brake is on other then that it wastes my time.

:givebeer:

I use the brake almost all the time. I have found it much safer when moving around with the saw and especially if someone else is close by. I find it very easy to use with out having to change hand positions much at all. I keep my regular grip with my right hand and keep my left hand on the handlebar and twist my wrist and bump the brake flag with the back of my wrist. to disengage I just extend my fingers with my thumb still hooked securely under the handlebar and pull it back. It has become a simple and fast habit. I don't find any wasted time or motion. As I get older I realize how short life is and how easy it is to get hurt. Most safety procedures IMO are well worth using.
Personally, I haven't seen any accellerated wear on the saw components from using the chain brake.

Scott

I tried that technique of engaging the brake and its pretty smooth.
I do believe I am going to get into the habit of engaging it whenever we aren't making chips fly.
Them chips are real pretty with a new 346xp.
:)

Let's talk about purposely applying the CB at high RPM to test it. This is something I purposely refrain from doing. It can't be good on the reciprocating assembly, especially the crankshaft. I do test it at low RPMs to make sure it's working.

I hardly ever use the chain brake but I keep my saws set up so the chain comes to a stop at idle.

As for carrying the say...I carry it in my left hand by it's front handle with the bar pointing behind me....and that puts the dogs away from my leg.

:agree2: ...but not because of the dogs.....:)

To the OP, if the chain has stopped, putting the brake on does no harm, except that you have to deactivate it later - I don't care for the on-off-on-off-on-off-etc, so I mostly leave it alone......

If the chain doesn't stop about immediately at idle, you need to readjust the carb.

Last edited:
Troll--this is what I was referring to when I said I was impressed with how quickly the saw returns to idle.
It must be adjusted nice.
:)

If the chain doesn't stop about immediately at idle, you need to readjust the carb.
I'm in the habit of hitting the brake unless I'm going to make another cut right away.
My engine returns to idle pretty quickly but the chain does freewheel for longer than I'd like and it's often still turning when I hit the brake. I've read others here mentioning that this saw's chain coasts too long (5100s). Any suggestions ? Do you think it's still a carb. adjustment ? Do you think I'm putting unnecessary stress on the drivetrain by stopping the chain with the brake ?

Last edited:
A logger friend of mine once told me that if he is going to take more than 3 steps in any direction, brake goes on. I followed that rule, and it has served me well. I have tripped a couple of times over buried logs or rocks, and was glad I had the brake on.

A logger friend of mine once told me that if he is going to take more than 3 steps in any direction, brake goes on. I followed that rule, and it has served me well. I have tripped a couple of times over buried logs or rocks, and was glad I had the brake on.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable rule of thumb.

Back