Engineering Project on Arborists

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chorlean

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm a little new to this so bear with me!

I have set up this thread to try and get some inspiration on how the professional tree surgeon/arborist industry can be improved. I am a Product Design & Manufacture student from the University of Nottingham, and I am currently doing my final degree project on arborists. I am hoping to come up with something that can improve the daily job of being an arborist, as there are clearly some issues with the safety of climbing and using cutting equipment. Any pointers from the professionals for what problems they face, big or small, would be greatly appreciated. (FYI, the information from here will be used in my research and may be used in presentations) Many thanks

My biggest hurdle is a limited, diminishing resource called "time", as in an aging body. Have you looked into designing a motorized ascender? I am sure an awful lot of research and money went into engineering Paul Cox's "Wraptor". I would dearly like to buy one in the next couple of years. But there isn't anything comparable at a similar price point that I am aware of, so it might be a worthwhile project to undertake. Or maybe a helium backpack to lesson the pull of gravity.

Wish you all the best in your research, and hopefully you can come up with a better mousetrap.
Might also be worth your while picking the brains of current arborist equipment suppliers who sponsor Arboristsite to see if they can give you some ideas to pursue.

How about a forked chain brake trigger that fits around the wrist when using

a top handle saw one handed? It could extend to the back of the handle so the brake could be set with the other hand without reaching toward the bar.

Last edited:
I got an easy one for you but I have a small fee... when you design one and make millions you have to send me two or three for my own use. Make a powered pole pruner with a articulating head that can be bent at various degrees so an arborist can make a proper cut, like an well place undercut from a distance.

This is kind of what I am talking about... I did this quick with photoshop and just mentally trademarked my idea biatches and my price for my idea is listed above... as far as I know there is nothing like this in the gas powered world,,, maybe for hydrolic cutters but I dont know much about that.

If you could also figure a way to make the head tilt on a side axes about 20 or 30 degrees at the same time that would rock.

attachment.php

Maybe it's just me but it seems our field is already full up with engineering from people not familar with arboriculture.

Thats why those with more knowledge need to give them suggestions on what would be good... I think my idea is a no brainer, but I am too stupid to do it myself or else I would not be a cop or a tree climber.

Hey Treepig, looks like you lost a bit of weight. :hmm3grin2orange:

Rick

yeah I am a slim trim 280 right now... hence the reason I need a power pruner with angle and tilt... I can prune with my fat ass on the ground.

How about improving production cost or operational effencies of existing equipment?

well in my humble opinion that would be improving the efficiency of existing equipment

lazer chainsaw ? asking to much :msp_rolleyes:

oh alright try this http://www.arboristsite.com/arborist-101/217401.htm

or simple a tool that helps you pick up limbs and get then in chipper feed tray with out bending your back all day,,, I'm thinkin a robot wrist mounted grabber that light strong and amplifier your grip to hold limb maneuver limbs to get them onto the chipper feed tray and push limbs to feed wheels safely.
This is body breaking & possibly dangerous work that is a big part of all commercial tree removals. Can you find a way to lessen the hurt and harm to chip operators please .

I got an easy one for you but I have a small fee... when you design one and make millions you have to send me two or three for my own use. Make a powered pole pruner with a articulating head that can be bent at various degrees so an arborist can make a proper cut, like an well place undercut from a distance.

This is kind of what I am talking about... I did this quick with photoshop and just mentally trademarked my idea biatches and my price for my idea is listed above... as far as I know there is nothing like this in the gas powered world,,, maybe for hydrolic cutters but I dont know much about that.

If you could also figure a way to make the head tilt on a side axes about 20 or 30 degrees at the same time that would rock.

attachment.php

Stihl already makes a 30 degree angled attachment like that. Its been around for years. I think they are around $120

attachment.php

How about a device that kills the ignition of a chainsaw if it senses all ppe isn't on, and climber isn't tied in two ways? Might even include a breathalizer....

If they include a breathalyzer the unemployment rate is gonna skyrocket in this industry.

How about a jetpack and jetpack powered rigging platform. BOOM! Hazardous tree removals are a thing of the past. :msp_thumbup:

On second thought, you probably better build a breathalyzer into those jetpacks as well.

How about inventing something outside the field of arboriculture. 'Like upright freezers with shelves sloping backwards so the ice cream doesn't slide out and break your toes. Or maybe modify the "cancer kazoo" (Electrolarynx) so the user could modulate it like a musical instrument to add some dynamics to their voice so they wouldn't sound like Mr. Roboto.
Phil

How about inventing something outside the field of arboriculture. 'Like upright freezers with shelves sloping backwards so the ice cream doesn't slide out and break your toes. Or maybe modify the "cancer kazoo" (Electrolarynx) so the user could modulate it like a musical instrument to add some dynamics to their voice so they wouldn't sound like Mr. Roboto.
Phil

I'm trying to visualize Mr. Roboto trying to scream out in pain with a smashed toe and the ice cream bucket lying sideways on the floor.... To be avoided for sure. Safety First!

I too wish for a laser saw, I also have the trained monkey idea, but we're talking things that can be built right? OK, I'll be the first to buy one, a portable one man blimp. You could use it to tie into on removals, you could even operate it drunk, no breathalyzer needed.

Motorized Ascenders

Thanks for all the responses guys. Plenty of interesting ideas! Probably what interested me the most was looking at motorized ascenders. There seems to be a few of these on the market but are very expensive, and not extensively used. Is cost the main thing that puts most arborists off using them? What would they need to persuade you to use one?

Back