EPA Regulations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
How do you think the EPA would view you "Modding" your chainsaw. Somebody said this to me tonight and it made me say....hrrrmmmm. I have my thoughts but was wondering yours. It is a joke to even ask this question but if somebody else is thinking it, don't you think the EPA is? Food for thought!!

There were threads on here not too long ago citing documents where there will be fines in the 10s and 100s of thousands of dollars for businesses who modify mufflers and engines...someone will pull them up sooner than later...

It will be a long while before the EPA gets around to Joe Bloe in his own shop. They have to go after NHRA, NASCAR, AMA, and ton of smaller racing organizations then, too.

That would be a suicide mission.

I was actually wondering about this the other day. someone next door to a house I was working at asked the owner if I even had a muffler on my saw( a modded 460) and it made me wonder if there were fins or anything.

I know a Joe Blow locally and he could give a rats ass what the EPA thinks:greenchainsaw:

I also know a joe blow who gives a rats ass on what the EPA, or the government things.

Right but it reveals what the EPA thinks

All the EPA thinks about is how they can regulate to hurt this country more and knock it down into a 2nd or 3rd world status.

The way I deal with the EPA is modd my mufflers. Burn my garbage, and on ozone action days I mow my yard, fill up with gas, and those are the days I make a point of burning my trash.

(I have been known to have fires outside and throw on the ocasional tire once it gets dark on ozone action days)

epa

I know a guy that moding saws 25 years ago, he had his own shop and still does, he would only take cash and he would only mod a saw for someone he knew or had a good reference. He didn't want a paper trail at all back then because of the possible penalties. He's still moding saws here in CA. where carb(california air resources board) is worse than epa.

The way I deal with the EPA is modd my mufflers. Burn my garbage, and on ozone action days I mow my yard, fill up with gas, and those are the days I make a point of burning my trash.

(I have been known to have fires outside and throw on the ocasional tire once it gets dark on ozone action days)

Ha take that! EPA pukers!

further food for tought

what about a dealer selling saws at discounted prices to a non-dealer who mods them and sells them? What about a Stihl dealer who sells a saw at close to cost outside of the US (i.e. ms380) to a guy who runs it in wood for a couple cuts, then sells it used to a US buyer? Are these practices legal?

epa sensationalism?

In the grander scheme of things lower emissions is a good thing. Ya, I like the pre epa saws better too, and I know there are a lot of worse polluters than 2 strokes; however, better to be part of a solution than part of a problem. In all honesty, it won't be the epa regulations that relegate either Canada or the U.S.A. to third world status--seriously!

Tim

In the grander scheme of things lower emissions is a good thing. Ya, I like the pre epa saws better too, and I know there are a lot of worse polluters than 2 strokes; however, better to be part of a solution than part of a problem. In all honesty, it won't be the epa regulations that relegate either Canada or the U.S.A. to third world status--seriously!

Tim

Seriously man....do you really think that you are part of a solution? Do you think that the cloud of smog I see hovering over Chicago and Milwaukee when I look out over Lake Michigan from SW Michigan is due in any significant way to 2 stroke engines? If you're that on board, go ride a bike, and know that the rubber on the soles of your Birkenstocks will not biodegrade for 5 million years and sweatshop children harvested your patchouli. When they pass the Polar Bear Adoption Act, due to polar icecaps melting, I'm fawkin gettin one...always wanted to hang a, "Beware of Polar Bear" sign in my window...then maybe my 2 pitbulls will get a break from being ridiculed by the ignorant and misinformed.

Seriously man....do you really think that you are part of a solution? Do you think that the cloud of smog I see hovering over Chicago and Milwaukee when I look out over Lake Michigan from SW Michigan is due in any significant way to 2 stroke engines? If you're that on board, go ride a bike, and know that the rubber on the soles of your Birkenstocks will not biodegrade for 5 million years and sweatshop children harvested your patchouli. When they pass the Polar Bear Adoption Act, due to polar icecaps melting, I'm fawkin gettin one...always wanted to hang a, "Beware of Polar Bear" sign in my window...then maybe my 2 pitbulls will get a break from being ridiculed by the ignorant and misinformed.

+1

What do you plan on feeding said bears once you've exhausted the county of rabbits and meth labs. Oh wait, there's more meth labs than rabbits in Allegan Co.

Who here likes spring anti-vibe? Specifically on stihls?

That came about because of government regs, not because stihl loves you!

Latest posts

Back