Epuiment & land protection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJR

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
There are some interesting comments on a different thread about timber theft and other problems with private ownership of wood lots. As a land owner I have had several issues with timber theft, trespass, and garbage dumping. I am wondering how other people are protecting there milling equipment and property?

I quit being nice a long time ago. I have the most problems in hunting season.
Make an example out of those you catch, Trespassing is against the law, make them feel it in the wallet. If you press charges they will have to pay a fine. If you catch the same one again and again, they may face jail time. I once caught the same guy three times in 10 days. He was young and snotty, so the third time I just went to his parents house and let them have it. I never have seen him since. If you are complacent, they will just do it again!

Wood Hick, on that peice of property I was talking about on the other thread, one of the biggest problems we had was, I think, with all the hunting clubs. After they get through fencing off most of the property in the county, It didn't leave the "city boys" much left. I charged one of those guys $150 to wench his truck out of a ditch that he got stuck in trying to cross that was dug just to keep people like him out. Then he took it up with the law. I guess you can say I got tired of the s*#t also.

Rodney

a few of the security measure around my house
The attention getter
preparednesscenter_1959_12573878.jpg

The backup plan
greatdane.jpg

The last line of defense!
8707s1.jpg

I meant to say this before but I forgot. I told one guy this point blank. I am the man who busts his a$$ to pay for this land, and then pay big taxes to keep it. What the hell makes you so special that you don't need to ask my permission to be on it? I dumbfounded that fella, and never saw him again either. Keep in mind this is rural Pa. which has countless thousands of acres of public land, yet these numbnuts continue to trespass. Be a mean SOB about it!

There are some interesting comments on a different thread about timber theft and other problems with private ownership of wood lots. As a land owner I have had several issues with timber theft, trespass, and garbage dumping. I am wondering how other people are protecting there milling equipment and property?

About once a month you just need to amble around your property in nothing but your BVDs with a S&W Revoler hanging on your hip. Maybe a hat, if it's in season. Usually takes care of most folks and, as an added benefit, the lines really clear out at the supermarket, which is nice.

:D

I am more curious on equipment protection. I currently trailer my band mill over 70 miles to my farm most weekends. My land is located in a very rural part of up state NY. I pay more to NYS each year in taxes than my mill is worth.I would like to leave the mill at the farm, but I know it would come up missing. I have full insurance on the mill. I am very well known for my zero tolerance on trespass and have prosecuted in the past. When the camp I am building is done I was thinking about putting in a concert pad and mounting the mill. When not using the mill I can pull the engine. I have a huge collection of locks for years of Harley ownership. Locks only slow down the inexperience person. I am open to ideas. Thanks

Warning you are entering no mans land back up
very slow if you hear something click stay put
as you are on a land mine. This property may be booby trapped!

I've got a couple bumper stickers in various places that say "Protected by a
.44 Magnum". They're not a joke. I find that a short barrel .44mag is about as loud if not louder than a 12ga. I also just found an online "recipie" the other day for reloading with fine bird or ratshot size pellets. I'm thinking about altering the recipe with rock salt instead of the pellets for deer around the garden; That way if someone reports me; its clear that I'm not hunting, and just trying to protect my garden......wonder if this would transfer with trespassers as far as johnny law is concerned??

Anyone have recommendations on a cheap loading press; I don't need a big benchtop one, just a handheld press. I've seen a couple for around $50 or so, just slow; you load the powder by hand; press is for primers & bullets. I'm going to use another little die cutter to cut wads from thin paperboard or styrofoam.

For what you want to load just by a Lee Loader for your .44 Mag. You do it all by hand, it works great, and costs $25.00 or less. Check Ebay for a used one, may get it for even less. I like loading with them, even though I have a big RCBS outfit.

Have had simular situations, haybarn torched, dead animals/household garbage/large appliances dumped, poachers, tractors shot up. One guy decided it was a good place to commit suicide! (since my Dad found him, he claimed the shotgun, but the deputy sheriff claimed it was evidence and would not let him have it).
Solution was to find someone local and let them keep a couple horses or cows with ours, make them have to feed every day or two; that way there is more traffic on the place and less likely to give time for any human debris to misuse the place.

Last edited:
Have had simular situations, haybarn torched, dead animals/household garbage/large appliances dumped, poachers, tractors shot up. One guy decided it was a good place to commit suicide! (since my Dad found him, he claimed the shotgun, but the deputy sheriff claimed it was evidence and would not let him have it).
Solution was to find someone local and let them keep a couple horses or cows with ours, make them have to feed every day or two; that way there is more traffic on the place and less likely to give time for any human debris to misuse the place.

i think his handle pretty much says it for me .25-06

Game cameras, well hid or they will get stolen too, the best protection is a 12 gage shotgun with magnum 4. Thieving is going to get worse because of society failure to punish the guilty. This community I live in is up in arms, even the law walks lightly since a couple of thieves got blow ed away stealing A.T.Vs. no one was arrested and not many questions were asked.
I realize this solution will not work everywhere, especially where the liberals live. We used to have liberals here, they moved.
Even old Ladies here have got a 38 stashed. We just got tired of transplants from the east and the cities bringing their trash and pukes with them. :chainsaw:

About once a month you just need to amble around your property in nothing but your BVDs with a S&W Revoler hanging on your hip. Maybe a hat, if it's in season. Usually takes care of most folks and, as an added benefit, the lines really clear out at the supermarket, which is nice.

:D

Please, do not post a picture.:jawdrop:

how do u add more than one quote to a post?:newbie:

You have to manually edit the tags...

>>>
{QUOTE=sILlogger;722076}how do u add more than one quote to a post?:newbie:{/QUOTE}
>>>

Above is what your post looks like in the editing window when you click the quote button. Well, I changed the square brackets to braces, i.e. curly brackets so they show up; but otherwise...

The {quote} tag starts the quote and {/quote} ends it. Everything in between those tags ends up in a box. You just have to manually type the tags (or copy and paste) where you want to get it to look the way you want. I left the "=dingo;#####" bit in the first quote to keep context and just stuck in the tags for the other two sentences. As the Brits say, easy peasy.... :givebeer:

Give it a try and hit the preview button to see how it looks. You'll figure it out. if not, shout and I'll 'splain betterer. :cheers:

Back