Ethanol-Out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillBrayJr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I think that's what it's called. Wasn't fully awake when I went to Wal-Mart this morning. I stopped by the Lawn&Garden Department and ran across this stuff in a small yellow bottle. Appearently it neutralizes the ethanol in the gas and includes a stabilizer. Somebody with a non-running Chainsaw should test this stuff out to see if it really works.

Not to be a smartass, but how can you test it with a non-running saw? :msp_confused:

Use a crappy HD Poulan for the tests, people throw those away all the time.

I don't understand how ethanol could be "neutralized"??
Does it evaporate it off..or..change it into something else..if so..WHAT?
I googled "ethanol-out" and nothing came up as for a product of that name.
I guess I'll let someone else be the first to try this new marvel.
It's tempting though...I mean Walmart certainly wouldn't sell anything crappy!!
:cheers:
J2F

From what I've read so far, ethanol wreaks havoc on parts like fuel lines. As I said before I wasn't completely awake when I was at Wal-Mart this morning. As far as Wal-Mart selling junk, I dunno. I've read nothing but good reports on Green Earth products.

Yes..ethanol does indeed wreak havoc on fuel lines and doesn't store well.
Didn't mean that Wal-Mart only sells crap stuff..but they do sell their fair share.
Bad part is you ask an employee about it..and they probably wouldn't have a clue?
I really wish there was a way to remove ethanol from E-10...but...HOW??
Thanks for posting about seeing this product...but wish you had bought some to try out for us readers..actually you should go back and do just that..:msp_wink:
Otherwise you should not have started this new thread...IMHO..you try it first!!!
J2F

Yes..ethanol does indeed wreak havoc on fuel lines and doesn't store well.
Didn't mean that Wal-Mart only sells crap stuff..but they do sell their fair share.
Bad part is you ask an employee about it..and they probably wouldn't have a clue?
I really wish there was a way to remove ethanol from E-10...but...HOW??
Thanks for posting about seeing this product...but wish you had bought some to try out for us readers..actually you should go back and do just that..:msp_wink:
Otherwise you should not have started this new thread...IMHO..you try it first!!!
J2F

Walmart employees aren't required to know about chemical products in their store, they should know where they are in the store or if it's in stock. They don't hire too many chemists to work in Walmart stores.
I guess if you want to remove alcohol from gas you could let it sit in an open container and let it evaporate.

STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment
Thats the only stuff I know of that wal mart carries,but I am sure there is more. It prevents corrosion The problem with ehtanol is that it attracts water and turns back into sugar...And we all know that its not good to have sugar in your tank:cool2:

Ethanol isn't significantly more volatile than gasoline; if you would leave a can of E10 out you're going to evap both gas and ethanol.

Theoretically you can mix water with the gas mix, and then the ethanol is more soluble with the water than it is in the gas, so you can separate it that way. This is the way the testers work. But, you cannot be totally sure that you got all the water out etc.

Ethanol is not acidic; there's nothing to neutralize, my guess is that it's just a glorified fuel stabilizer that you saw.

One guy here does this... he lets the container sit for at least a week undisturbed, the ethanol settles to the bottom and then he siphons off the top 2/3 of the can of gas off of the top of the ethanol. He says do whatever you please with the remaining ethanol. Set it on fire, fill people's cars up with it, etc.

Me, being the guy I am, I'd pour it into a Prius. But that's just me. I will be trying this out soon, as we have a few 5 gallon cans that have been sitting undisturbed for about 2 months. I will post a thread about the results. :cheers:

There is no magic potion. The only way to remove ethanol is stop its prodution.

That is the best solution, but I doubt the refineries have the balls to just defy all of the farmers that depend on subsidies and also defy the EPA. I have heard the EPA is basically a family of thugs... they probably would hurt or kill to keep ethanol in gas. :(

Attention oil refineries: I will pay 4.50 a gallon for premium (93 octane) gas with no ethanol... I bet others might too. Of course, this pricing is if regular gas goes to around 4 bucks a gallon like everyone says.

Last edited:
That is the best solution, but I doubt the refineries have the balls to just defy all of the farmers that depend on subsidies and also defy the EPA. I have heard the EPA is basically a family of thugs... they probably would hurt or kill to keep ethanol in gas. :(

Attention oil refineries: I will pay 4.50 a gallon for premium gas with no ethanol... I bet others might too.

Very true, politics and money is all ethanol is about. There are still non ethanol fuel options available. Luckily i don't have an ethanol problem besides the inflation of other products.

If you remove the ethanol, you would have to do something to get the octane back up. When they went to the ethanol, the octane was lowered because the ethanol added octane. Or, atleast thats what I read. And the ethanol won't seperate just sitting there. I've got a jar that sat for about 9 months, undisturbed, and nothing happened.
I suppose one could take gas with ethanol, and mix water with it. After the water and ethanol settled to the bottom, you could vet the gas off of the top. I don't know if this would work, but it seems like it would. The ethanol would mix with the water because it is hygroscopic. All of that would the settle to the bottom because water is heavier than gas.
Thats just my theory!

One guy here does this... he lets the container sit for at least a week undisturbed, the ethanol settles to the bottom and then he siphons off the top 2/3 of the can of gas off of the top of the ethanol. He says do whatever you please with the remaining ethanol. Set it on fire, fill people's cars up with it, etc.

Me, being the guy I am, I'd pour it into a Prius. But that's just me. I will be trying this out soon, as we have a few 5 gallon cans that have been sitting undisturbed for about 2 months. I will post a thread about the results. :cheers:

:msp_thumbdn:/\ :msp_thumbdn:/\ :msp_thumbdn:/\
When gas hits $5.00 a gallon again, you might wish that you drove a Prius. I really don't understand the anti-hybrid vehicle mentality expressed by some AS members :(. If you need a truck with a powerful engine that gets 10 MPG that's fine, but hybrids do have their place.

If you remove the ethanol, you would have to do something to get the octane back up. When they went to the ethanol, the octane was lowered because the ethanol added octane. Or, atleast thats what I read. And the ethanol won't seperate just sitting there. I've got a jar that sat for about 9 months, undisturbed, and nothing happened.
I suppose one could take gas with ethanol, and mix water with it. After the water and ethanol settled to the bottom, you could vet the gas off of the top. I don't know if this would work, but it seems like it would. The ethanol would mix with the water because it is hygroscopic. All of that would the settle to the bottom because water is heavier than gas.
Thats just my theory!

You're right, I forgot to mention that a small amount of water has to be added to the gas to get the ethanol to seperate... I don't remember how much needs to be added... maybe a quarter of a cup? That seems to stick in my mind for some reason. If you add too much, well, it's not gonna help the separation.

edit: 3.8 tablespoons per gallon to cause phase separation. Also, some kind of octane booster would need to be added to raise it back up to what it originally was. Ethanol is the replacement for lead as an octane booster.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back