Ethenol Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatpikr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
If a gas station sells ethenol tainted gas, do they have to say so in writing on the pump. I live in southern Utah kind of out in the sticks and I've never seen anything to indicate there may be ethenol in our gas. I bought my last fresh gas about a week ago from a local Chevron, that was before I read that ethenol may give a 5100 terminal gasisitis (that's when the saw turns yellow and dies) I took a 5100 out for it's first outting yesterday and it did very well (tweaked the high end downward). I just got back from checking the pumps at the Chevron and nothing about alkeehaul. Anyone know anything about this?? Thanks.

It showed up in Provo Utah in 1999. Either way just tach your saws so there not over reving or you get a lean seizure . If & when it comes it's nothing the magic screwdriver wont fix .

I dont know about Utah, but here in Western PA the pumps have to be labeled. Some of our stations have it and some dont. I called the terminals to ask because none of the cashiers had any idea. Our gas comes up the Mississippi and then over the Ohio rivers. The fuel is then offloaded from barges into tanks. This is where they add in iso-octane or ethanol and blend the different grades. Because your in a dryer climate you just might get the alcohol in all grades. Stick with the bigger names and burn high test. If the saw or trimmer etc is going to sit for awhile make sure you drain it and run off the little that remains in the lines.

Best wishes,
Bob

In washington they have to be labeled too... I have only seen the sticker on the low grade pump. Thats why the price goes up 25c instead on 10c to the next highest grade level. Used to be 10c higher for mid and 10c above that for super.

In OR and CA, E-10 has to be clearly labeled on the pumps. Here they are almost always E-10 (10% ethanol). Fewer and fewer pumps here do not have them now. Also super here is E-10 as well. This summer seems to have killed off all 100% gasoline labels on the pumps in CA... which was around for a while, until they got rid of all the MTBE and replaced it with E-10. Now E-10 is replacing the 100% gas there too. I am down to one station near here that has 98.5% or better pure gas...

Overall, gas is regulated and taxed differently by each state. Here is a site that has all the ethanol in gas pump label requirements by state:

http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

Last edited:
Thanks to all for your input. I'll be checking out the links shortly. Why do they have to waste good sippin' ethenol on gas pumps-- now if they would use nitro-methane instead-- hmmm. I wonder if racing saws burn a little nitro?

In Colorado, I believe state law says gas-ethanol blend must be labeled. Ethanol blend has been mandated by the feds for the Front Range for winter blends since the late 1980's, and has been mandated year round since the late 90's. Because the Denver refineries supply much of the gas for the southern Rockies, I know at least some ethanol blend gasoline makes it into Utah.

I've been running chainsaws with ethanol blended pump gas here in Colorado ever since it appeared--including several old Macs that we bought new in the 1970's, and newer Huskies and Stihls too. They run just fine, despite on occasion sitting for months and months with fuel in them, and none of them have exploded in a mushroom cloud.......

In other words, I be skeptical of the DIRE WARNINGS I have been reading concerning ethanol blended fuel and chainsaws............

Casey

If a gas station sells ethenol tainted gas, do they have to say so in writing on the pump. I live in southern Utah kind of out in the sticks and I've never seen anything to indicate there may be ethenol in our gas. I bought my last fresh gas about a week ago from a local Chevron, that was before I read that ethenol may give a 5100 terminal gasisitis (that's when the saw turns yellow and dies) I took a 5100 out for it's first outting yesterday and it did very well (tweaked the high end downward). I just got back from checking the pumps at the Chevron and nothing about alkeehaul. Anyone know anything about this?? Thanks.

The fuel line on my dads 029super went out every other year till I talked him into useing super. All stihl oem lines and the first one was replaced by the dealer. My friends 290 also rotted the line on his less than 2 yo and maybee 5 tanks of gas through it saw. This was only a couple of months ago. He used cheap gas as well. Maybe its because both saws sit for months at a time with gas in them. But they seem to be fine if good high octane gas and stihl mix is used. Anyway it seems like I have been replacing a lot of fuel lines lately.

I'm not seeing any issues with gasket or stihl fuel line (over non-ethyl gas).

I have saws sitting in the high country from fall to spring with gas in them--including 35 year old Macs with original rubber parts and gaskets--they will start in the spring just fine--at least they always have previously.

I speculate the oil mix may make blended gas less "corrosive" than if it was just straight gas. I also use the oil with the stabilizer in it (I think most good 2 cycle oils have stabilizer these days anyway).

Casey

dont come to minnesota if you hate ethanol we probably produce the most of it. i have hated it for years as a mechanic and a equipment and vehicle owner.:givebeer: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back