Ever get emotional about a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKDoug

Pro Staff
Reaction score
One of my guys ordered an oil pump at the customer's request. He'd given them a quote on time to replace it and they decided to let us do it. This broke one of my rules that if I'm going to repair a saw I am going to decide what parts it needs. I'm constantly burned by customers ordering parts for what they think is wrong with a saw, but then ask me to fix it only to find out it's not the problem.

Well, when the saw arrived (MS361) I let out a groan. Under the clutch cover was an oily mess black as coal. All around the oil fill cap is stained black. I opened the oil cap and my blood pressure went sky high. Who takes a nice saw like a 361 and fills it full of used oil. Not just used oil, but used diesel crankcase oil. It took me a 1/2 gallon of diesel to flush the tank and get it clean. I was pissed the entire time I did this. Makes a complete mess of my shop. I used two cans of brake clean just to get the clutch and oil pump cleaned up. I pulled the pump and cleaned it, sprayed brake clean through the passages, blew out the oil lines with air. Finally, after I had cleaned all the black crap off, I discovered a stripped worm gear. No doubt from the black concrete around the clutch and pump. Once all cleaned up, it pumped just fine..go figure.

The odd thing is, for a moment, I felt like a veterinarian returning an abused puppy back to an abusive owner. I've never been emotional about a piece of equipment... maybe I'm getting soft?

The odd thing is, for a moment, I felt like a veterinarian returning an abused puppy back to an abusive owner. I've never been emotional about a piece of equipment... maybe I'm getting soft?

No not soft , :D
it sucks when you see how bad someone looks after there saw then wonders why they have problems :buttkick:
:eek: When i brought home my 610evl the first day and removed the pull starter you could not see the fins on the motor at all :confused:
it took me 2 hrs to clean it up :(
Dam glad i didn't use it for the day cutting wood as i would may have (bad word) it:)

I had just gone over a super 028 and it was fine. Owner calls me two days later and says it had no power again.
When I got the saw, the plastic cover for the oil pump was fried and the clutch drum and clutch were blue - someone (one of his employees) obviously ran it on high idle with the chainbrake engaged. I recommended some training before they ran the saw again. If they didn't know enough to unlock the brake, were they aware of the safety aspects?
Yeah, I got a little emotional over that one.

Did you sell him the pump? If a customer wants to play over the counter mechanic that's fine...but he eats the parts. I get that all the time...my (insert piece of ope) just needs a (insert part), will you order it and call me when it comes in so you can put it in. I say sure I'll do it no problem...but if that's not the issue then you just bought X part and I'll hand you the machine back as is. 9 times out if 10 they bring me the machine to diagnose properly. And 9 times out of 10 it's never the problem the customer thinks it is. That guy would of definitely bought that pump if that saw was in my shop...especially after the mess he made of it.

I had a good condition Stihl MS 440 that I bought new. I used this saw moderatly for firewood use. I had sold it to a logger because he had smashed his only saw. Well he got the idea to port it. To make a long story short it was dead in a few days. I felt disappointed in this because that saw served me very faithfully. I saved money for a long time to buy that saw. Makes me unhappy I sold it just to make an untimely death for it.

On our crew we call those "saw slobs". They dont stay, period. If you cant/wont take care of your saw, wether company owned or personal saw, you dont work with us. Im not going to trust my safety working in the timber w a POS of a woodsman that wont look after his gear.

My method for cleaning saws would have taken care of that piece of cake job in 5 minutes flat!
I have posted it twice on this AS site. Get a sprayer from Harbor Freight, use kerosene and about 60 lbs air pressure. You'd be surprised have quick these saws clean up, just like new!

I guess I'm pretty emotional about my MS 362C-M. I've only had it since Feb. or so, but now I love that saw!

Corn-free medium grade, Stihl syn and clean 30 weight for the bar.

I'm attached to all of my saws... for various reasons. First one I bought, first "you suck" deal, first one restored, etc. I don't think I could sell any of them.

A person that brings me a straight gassed saw in a hard case sitting on top of the owners manual still sealed in the plastic envelope gets a simple answer: "I'm sorry, I do not have the special tools required to repair that saw". You can fix the saw but you can't fix the owner. I am sure if I fixed them professionally, I would have a significantly different attitude.

Ever get emotional about a saw ?

Yes, if it belongs to me.

Good Lord guys,

I said I am not emotional about saws. I didn't say I was stupid about saws.

Wait till I get my 288XP Lite back from being rebuilt and ported.

24yv5vl.jpg

2a4oj6u.jpg

6ehj13.jpg

2hg8zf9.jpg

Back