Ex Davey 97' F450 4x4 chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackOakTreeServ

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Im thinking about adding another chip truck to my business, but dont know to much about these trucks, just some stuff I found on the net.

Like in the title, its a 97' F450 ex-davey truck, 460 V8 gasser, 4 speed stick, 4x4, 100K miles.

Word has it ford never made a 4x4 dually in 97 and earlier, so davey sent these trucks in and had Harmon/herrington front axels installed,
leaf, T-case and the rest to make em 4x4.

Ive never drove one, dont know if there a piece of junk....anybody drive or own one?? info would be great!

018-2_zps8f66f235.jpg

Never had one myself but If you can get the vin # a Ford dealer can tell you if it is a factory 4x4 or not. As far as th 460, my 91-F350 has one. Good power but a gas hog from hell, about 8 mpg towing a chipper with a easy dumper in the bed. Looks like a good truck, 2 things - bad on gas and that dump bed looks like it will fill up quick.

Im thinking about adding another chip truck to my business, but dont know to much about these trucks, just some stuff I found on the net.

Like in the title, its a 97' F450 ex-davey truck, 460 V8 gasser, 4 speed stick, 4x4, 100K miles.

Word has it ford never made a 4x4 dually in 97 and earlier, so davey sent these trucks in and had Harmon/herrington front axels installed,

Ive never drove one, dont know if there a piece of junk....anybody drive or own one?? info would be great!

018-2_zps8f66f235.jpg

They surely never made a super duty 450 4x4 in that time era . I bought one with a blown 460 and parted it out , sold the body to GREENSTAR , I kept the doors , trans rears all the breakable parts , they are bad ass looking . How much are they asking I would love to own another .

Del, they might have with the F350's, but not the F450's

I talked to the guy selling this truck (they buy em from auctions) and he said When davey bought these new from ford, they taken them over to Marmon/Herrington for the Conversion...

The front axel is like a dana 70 or 80, with MH knuckles and ring and pinion center, just big, way bigger than a dana 60...he told me if you need disc's for this front axle there over $300 a pop per side..ouch!!

Whats the asking price? Depending on how much they want those are good trucks i have a 93 f350 with the 7.3l diesel in it and its still pretty much running on factory parts other than minor stuff.

018-2_zps8f66f235.jpg

Depending on the price I would go for it if it's not going to set you back too much, thats not that many miles for that truck. The 460's are strong engines, my neighbour is an ex OPP (police mechanic) and the cruisers in the late 70's/80's had them in them and used to get 400,000 k's outta them easy! The cars bodies went before the engines did. They replace all cruisers now before they hit 180,000. I have a 97 f-450 w/ the 460. Yeah the do burn through the gas but its a work truck and I don't start my to go for a leisurely drive. I have a minimum on a job before I start that thing up! I have a bit bigger box and under body storage boxes on mine. I have 211,000 k's on it and body is great and runs great, get it oil sprayed every year.

Depending on the price I would go for it if it's not going to set you back too much, thats not that many miles for that truck. The 460's are strong engines, my neighbour is an ex OPP (police mechanic) and the cruisers in the late 70's/80's had them in them and used to get 400,000 k's outta them easy! The cars bodies went before the engines did. They replace all cruisers now before they hit 180,000. I have a 97 f-450 w/ the 460. Yeah the do burn through the gas but its a work truck and I don't start my to go for a leisurely drive. I have a minimum on a job before I start that thing up! I have a bit bigger box and under body storage boxes on mine. I have 211,000 k's on it and body is great and runs great, get it oil sprayed every year.

They had a few years where they ran aluminum heads in the 460 , and they were trash , but as far as I know that was mid 90's . But only for a few years

They surely never made a super duty 450 4x4 in that time era . I bought one with a blown 460 and parted it out , sold the body to GREENSTAR , I kept the doors , trans rears all the breakable parts , they are bad ass looking . How much are they asking I would love to own another .

Whats the asking price? Depending on how much they want those are good trucks i have a 93 f350 with the 7.3l diesel in it and its still pretty much running on factory parts other than minor stuff.

He wants $9800, I dont think that is to bad, what you all think? pull the trigger? or run, dont walk...

He wants $9800, I dont think that is to bad, what you all think? pull the trigger? or run, dont walk...

Doesn't seem to bad I'd try and work on them a bit. I think 8g's sound better. There are plenty of deals out there just gotta look around. My 93 f350 with 7.3 4x4 130k on it was 500$ Guy thought it was junk. Smokes when cold other than that gave been just driving it. I'm going out to plow in a few ill try and get some pictures in the dark.

Last edited:
Doesn't seem to bad I'd try and work on them a bit. I think 8g's sound better. There are plenty of deals out there just gotta look around. My 93 f350 with 7.3 4x4 130k on it was 500$ Guy thought it was junk. Smokes when cold other than that gave been just driving it. I'm going out to plow in a few ill try and get some pictures in the dark.

Thanks Matt!

sounds alright ..... Do they have more , cause man I would love to have one as well , if not can you ask if they have some on the east coast .

They always Have them at the auctions down here. Im gonna go check out an Ex Bartlett chip truck its an international 4400 2004, i just got the flyer in the mail seems like all the bucket trucks they sell are always set up to go on the train tracks. Only problem is there always seems to be house bidders because there is no way people would pay what some of these guys bid this stuff up to. But everyone in a while i pull an ace out of the hole.

101, I will sell you mine for 19K...lol...I will ask for you big guy

Seriously tho woodsman they should move at least 1k on those things. i would only pay 12 for one in perfect shape that age, figure it as a 10-11k project your gonna paint it and some other odds and ends if you get it for 8 your alot farther ahead of the game. Go find some bargaining chips on them when you check one out. Bald tires, leaking dump piston, something that you have to say boy thats gonna need fixed right away how about helping me out.

sounds alright ..... Do they have more , cause man I would love to have one as well , if not can you ask if they have some on the east coast .

I really want a smaller chip truck as well i wouldn't mind having one of those. The big trucks are pimp but get stuck like no other. I wouldn't even shake a stick at one that wasn't 4x4 those things are awesome for backyard work. I don't wanna spend a fortune on a little truck either i just cant do the ones with the man cab man thats a waste of space. If they had one closer i might be interested in putting a paint job on one of those.

I really want a smaller chip truck as well i wouldn't mind having one of those. The big trucks are pimp but get stuck like no other. I wouldn't even shake a stick at one that wasn't 4x4 those things are awesome for backyard work. I don't wanna spend a fortune on a little truck either i just cant do the ones with the man cab man thats a waste of space. If they had one closer i might be interested in putting a paint job on one of those.

I had a 97 350 assplunger version,had a blown motor so I parted It out , sold the body and saddle box , and scrapped it , wasn't the 450 , I want one now after seeing the conversion and the stance they are mean looking

Latest posts

Back