Ex Davey 97' F450 4x4 chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 97 350 assplunger version,had a blown motor so I parted It out , sold the body and saddle box , and scrapped it , wasn't the 450 , I want one now after seeing the conversion and the stance they are mean looking

Ya looks like it would work well. That motor has a lot of slap to it i had a dump truck that had one in it and it was a rocket ship. Amazing that they will put a 460 in basically a pickup truck and then a 350 in a bucket what am i missing?

That motor for me was also easy to work on, Starter was a 15 minute change pulleys and other stuff where very accessible, i look at stuff like that more than anything. the new fords forget about it that #### is packed in there so tight it took me a few hours to get the turbo off my 550 the dealer told me they pulled the cab to do it. WTF? and thats why i sold it. whoever designed that needs kicked in the nads.

Only problem is there always seems to be house bidders because there is no way people would pay what some of these guys bid this stuff up to.

That's the thing with a lot, not all, but a lot of auctions these days. Same old seven or eight jackasses bid the stuff up to a price nobody short of a moron would pay. I was at an auction looking at some bucket trucks in Okla. about a year ago. Struck up a conversation with a guy who told me half of the crap there was at an auction he attended the prior month in Alabama. He told me it all "sold" for about three times what it was worth but here it is again with the same old bunch bidding it up.

He wants $9800, I dont think that is to bad, what you all think? pull the trigger? or run, dont walk...

If it's in good -mint condition maybe that much. I would work him down as well. Is he selling all 3 of them>? Myself wouldn't pay more than 9 for it. Is it certified and all that good stuff? Looks like rust isn't an issue where you are by the looks of it. Here is a few pics of mine. View attachment 279473View attachment 279474

Last edited:
Del, they might have with the F350's, but not the F450's

I talked to the guy selling this truck (they buy em from auctions) and he said When davey bought these new from ford, they taken them over to Marmon/Herrington for the Conversion...

The front axel is like a dana 70 or 80, with MH knuckles and ring and pinion center, just big, way bigger than a dana 60...he told me if you need disc's for this front axle there over $300 a pop per side..ouch!!

This be true, when we buy trucks, they often get sent to a mod shop and they are built to our specs. Our shop in Kent, Ohio also builds them. When they are too busy, they sub it out.

This be true, when we buy trucks, they often get sent to a mod shop and they are built to our specs. Our shop in Kent, Ohio also builds them. When they are too busy, they sub it out.

Wait can someone are my Forestry body bucket 4x4? Might get a lot more use out of it. I would guess to convert something like this would cost 20k or more since that's what the charge to put it in from the factory.

Seen it done with smaller trucks but never with larger at least around here.

quhe5uny.jpg
call these guys

quhe5uny.jpg
call these guys

That's bad ass. I will give them a call I'm guessing its super expensive tho. That Pete looks sick on those balloon tires.

That actually opens up a whole new avenue I didn't think about. I'm after 4x4 anything anymore we try to work when there is snow n the ground and man pulling some of these trucks out has gotten old this year.

Last edited:
Wait can someone are my Forestry body bucket 4x4? Might get a lot more use out of it. I would guess to convert something like this would cost 20k or more since that's what the charge to put it in from the factory.

You could just buy a stock International 4300 4x4 and have a forestry package put on that.
attachment.php

You could just buy a stock International 4300 4x4 and have a forestry package put on that.
attachment.php

Already have on that I was gonna have turned into a rear mount. A new 4x4 international with dt466 and 4x4 is over 130k bought one two years ago.

Finding a good 4300 4400 used is tough anymore price has gone way up. It's really gone up on a tandem.

My forestry body brand new I paid 98k truck and everything new.

u6a2apap.jpg

Last edited:
Already have on that I was gonna have turned into a rear mount. A new 4x4 international with dt466 and 4x4 is over 130k bought one two years ago.

Finding a good 4300 4400 used is tough anymore price has gone way up. It's really gone up on a tandem.

My forestry body brand new I paid 98k truck and everything new.

u6a2apap.jpg

You'd have to change your outriggers there not long enough to compensate the added height , they need to be lengthened

You'd have to change your outriggers there not long enough to compensate the added height , they need to be lengthened

Would be sweet. see what they say we might just end up trading hate to do it tho truck really hasn't seen much use like it should.

Last edited:

It could be done. I had a 4x4 bucket, my first one. It was sweet having that option.
We had a tag axle put on our old elevator, soon as we filled the box, it was over weight. Chipper box was a 12ft. Added the drop down tag, cost a little over 20g's. Then, since the truck was not CARB compliant, we sent it too Colorado. Wish I was here when that decision was made, could have saved 20g's. Lots of knee jerking in the past.

A lot of the steep cottage driveways leading to some of the properties I've worked on would be impossible to access without a small 4x4 chip truck. It has been invaluable.:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back