Ex Davey 97' F450 4x4 chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny Blakes mentioned what he did, last week i was leaving a job, hit a huge a#$ puddle, truck starting running rough. One of the wires had a slight crack in it. Next day i go to the autoparts store and picked up some new wires, plugs, dist cap. First one on the passenger side near the back cam off and easy to get at, second one i get to, took off the boot........guess what came with it! The plugs porcelein came right out,all that was left was the threads going into the cylinder.......WTF times 100!!!!! Now I am pissed, go to the next cylinder......same freakin thing. i couldn't believe it!!!! I have only owned the truck for a year and a half. Every other plug was easy to get at and man, the tardo that owned it before me i don't think ever changed the plugs.....ever! the rest of the plugs the electrodes were all shot and missing! Basically the truck was only running on half the engine!!!! So had to get it towed to the garage I use when I can't fix something myself. They got the 2 threads out with the extractor tool they have with minimal cost. Did a compression test as I asked them and everythings good and strong! I was s#$#%g my pants when this happened!!! Now it's like a brand new truck and runs very strong. ( I thought it did before) If I ever bought another i would get the owner to change all this before hand. I was lucky and they got threads out with taking off the heads

I think anyone who has owned a 460, including myself, has a similar story. Hardest one to reach on the passengers side broke off when we did ours. Had to drill it and use an easy out to get it if I remember right.

I dunno what the end price was for this rig, but there's not a snowballs chance in hell I would have paid anywhere near 10K for it.

I dunno what the end price was for this rig, but there's not a snowballs chance in hell I would have paid anywhere near 10K for it.

Where the hell have you been man? havent seen you dropping posts in a while. Around here 10k would be a steal people want so much for those old dumps the cheapest i ever got was a 1990 dodge power ram for 5500 and it was a pile of #### compared to that thing.

The bee's knee's!!!

Very little surface rust on frame, dont see any on body so far...must be a cali truck!

010-1_zps422ee361.jpg

You did good the green and your white shirts will look fly when your driving from job to jobs. Id put one of those in my fleet and I'm pretty picky. Ive had a lot of companies try and sell me the HINO truck no way I'm pretty set on international and chevy. Anymore ive been after a Kenworth im gonna do a single axle hook lift. Im over tandems to much money to run and i dont feel like i gain anything. Its like getting an f250 might as well do the f350, anymore I'm either single or triaxle.

Where the hell have you been man? havent seen you dropping posts in a while. Around here 10k would be a steal people want so much for those old dumps the cheapest i ever got was a 1990 dodge power ram for 5500 and it was a pile of #### compared to that thing.

Well, you're first mistake was buying a ram ;).

You're right though, I've been a way for a cpl years, but it looks as though prices havegone through the roof as of late.

I see one guy in pen asking triple what he pays at auction for his white washed x aspluhnds. I don't know how he gets away with it honestly.

Check out the post I made about the 201t, that'll give u a good idea about the #### sandwhich I took a huge bite of lol....

Well, you're first mistake was buying a ram ;).

You're right though, I've been a way for a cpl years, but it looks as though prices havegone through the roof as of late.

I see one guy in pen asking triple what he pays at auction for his white washed x aspluhnds. I don't know how he gets away with it honestly.

Check out the post I made about the 201t, that'll give u a good idea about the #### sandwhich I took a huge bite of lol....

To many people are sold on appearance a fresh paint job usually scares me. A seasoned operator will know what kind of wear on the paint a normal machine would have and wouldn't be to concerned. they put a Earl Schieb paint job on those trucks and double the price.

Actually, 10K was a steal for this truck, its in very good condish and just a very little rust on running gear, no body rust at all.... the bad is that dumb emergency brake drum thingy on bake of t-case that the driveline connects to is shot...there spendy to rebuild or replace

Last edited:
Actually, 10K was a steal for this truck, its in very good condish and just a very little rust on running gear, no body rust at all.... the bad is that dumb emergency brake drum thingy on bake of t-case that the driveline connects to is shot...there spendy to rebuild or replace

Fair deal...yeah. Steal...no.

Fair deal...yeah. Steal...no.

Not even fair, gas is 4 bucks a gallon out here, it will get 4 mpg,its got a 460, the box is 7 yards at best,its third party priced and rode hard by a bunch of strung out cali davey workers. Wish I'd seen this post I would put a stop to this madness.
As an example,My old outfit sold a 98 f800 with a cummins in it, 80k miles and a 14 yard royal box for 14k. With the price of fuel nobody should be driving gas with a little box. All I see is a lot of waisted time with that little box, good for davey workers bad for the residential tree guy footing the gas bill.

Last edited:

"Steal" is a tremendously strong word to describe the purchase price for the truck. Thinkbof it this way, without the box that trck is worth at the most, a couple of grand. Then how much would a brand new box cost?. It looks like a nice truck, but itb wasnt a steal, at least not in my part of the country.

Does your inspection stations test for ebrake operation?

I do like the truck, and I think the size would serve me well on trim jobs and small takedowns int the city, but I'd be in the 6-8 range depending on a close up inspection. Don't matter anyway I figure. You'll make up the difference in a week's worth of work....

Last edited:

You gotta be the cheapest bastard I know. just saying. That said, 8k would've been a better deal.. especially considering there's bound to be a ton of things that truck is gonna nickel and dime Woodsgirl to death with. lol. Of course the no rust thing would be huge up our way. A kid just stopped by over the weekend with an older (two wheel) 450 that they converted from gas to 7.3 diesel. Looked like he did a pretty good job too. I don't imagine it's all that hard to do.

You gotta be the cheapest bastard I know. just saying. That said, 8k would've been a better deal.. especially considering there's bound to be a ton of things that truck is gonna nickel and dime Woodsgirl to death with. lol. Of course the no rust thing would be huge up our way. A kid just stopped by over the weekend with an older (two wheel) 450 that they converted from gas to 7.3 diesel. Looked like he did a pretty good job too. I don't imagine it's all that hard to do.

I may agree with that, depending on who you know ;-)

I think 8K would have been reasonable, but still pricey. No way that truck is a 10K truck, it's just not. It's just like these x aspluhnd trucks that this guy --- sells. He gets them for 10-14 grand depending on the unit, slaps white paint on them and sells them for 40K!!!! That's an expensive paint job!!!!!!

And I know roughly what he pays for them, because I've purchased the same trucks from where he gets them from.

I bet the guy who sold the OP the Davey truck paid around 3-4 grand for it at auction. No BS....

Last edited:
I just bought a tight as a drum 99 7.3 F350 Dump with 54K on it and came with a 9ft MM1 plow. Needs manifolds. Dump sides are rough, but useable, floor is mint. Anyone care to take a guess what I paid?

Not looking for a pat on the back, just proving a point....

We're talking about a 20 yer old big block gas burner with a tiny chip box here folks. 10K is ludicrous.....

I may agree with that, depending on who you know ;-)

I think 8K would have been reasonable, but still pricey. No way that truck is a 10K truck, it's just not. It's just like these x aspluhnd trucks that this guy --- sells. He gets them for 10-14 grand depending on the unit, slaps white paint on them and sells them for 40K!!!! That's an expensive paint job!!!!!!

And I know roughly what he pays for them, because I've purchased the same trucks from where he gets them from.

I bet the guy who sold the OP the Davey truck paid around 3-4 grand for it at auction. No BS....

Unfortunately, I know of the white wash deal first hand. I kinda took a beating, but that's old news. In the end it worked out. Not too many rear mount 4x4 buckets out there. I should put up a pic. I had it painted last year.

Glad to see you back, man! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!!

I dunno about ludicrous. I paid $6 grand for a new 6ton cap. 5X10 dump trailer after I old my old '86 Int (S-1900 , DT466) forestry bucket (L-45 Asplundh......1972 yikes) that I paid $15 G for. It only needed two front tires to pass the safety, and in the six or so years I ran it, it never ate a big hole in my wallet either.

I think $10G for that particular truck would be mighty enticing up this way, and it would pay for itself pretty quick.

Unfortunately, I know of the white wash deal first hand. I kinda took a beating, but that's old news. In the end it worked out. Not too many rear mount 4x4 buckets out there. I should put up a pic. I had it painted last year.

Glad to see you back, man! Sorry to hear about your misfortunes!!

Thank you sir, and I would love to find a truck like you have for a reasonable price. I remember you sending me a pic of it working in a back yard a cpl years back. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay 40K for one off of chuckles though.. He can keep them.

Latest posts

Back