Ex Davey 97' F450 4x4 chip truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The green does look nice. Im painting my log loader white to match my bucket and my chip truck is going to have to stay red.

I just bought a tight as a drum 99 7.3 F350 Dump with 54K on it and came with a 9ft MM1 plow. Needs manifolds. Dump sides are rough, but useable, floor is mint. Anyone care to take a guess what I paid?

Not looking for a pat on the back, just proving a point....

We're talking about a 20 yer old big block gas burner with a tiny chip box here folks. 10K is ludicrous.....

That 99 7.3 would be shut down in 2018 or close to that....like was said earlyer, you could pull the motor and install a 2010 or newer diesel motor and be ok for awhile, or install a PM filter on truck for 20K, yes thats $20,000 and be legal for older diesel......10K is starting to sound like a Steal for my truck, Oh, and its paid off!!!! lol

Congratulations Woodsman44 ours is a very small club

First off, you did fairly well considering replacement cost. These rigs are very solid and very rare. The seller of my truck said someone called the next day saying he'd pay asking ($4500) for the front axle and t-case and he could keep the carcase! The M-H setup is coveted by extreme mudders who want 44" tires on their F-350's. Google 4x4 dump and you're lookin' at 20k to start and that's flatbed. The first thing I did was put Goodyear wranglers on it. They are similar in price to BFG's ($1600 ouch ) but last longer (30k mi rating) I've switched all my rigs over, and they look knobbier. The next thing I did (after a quick gravel yard stop) was to get the e-brake shoes from Napa and it's not as bad as you think. $54 for the shoes plus $14 core and I was under the truck. The only special things you need are Torx sockets for the driveline and a bench or mini grinder. I had to remove some metal from the shoe body to get the drum back on and it would've been nice to know that before I fully re-installed them. The real ##### was the return springs. Use needlenose pliers to remove them, and to replace, fit the springs into the shoes then pull the J-hooks back over the post using a loop of string trimmer line. The bad news on these rigs is that they do get 4-5 mpg loaded, maybe 8 empty. Also exhaust leaks are common. I'm all worried about plugs after reading this post. Does yours have rear disc? That's a huge plus. You can google Marmon & Herrington for some off-road sites that alternately bash and praise these trucks for more info. Good luck, I think it's worth putting some love in.

First off, you did fairly well considering replacement cost. These rigs are very solid and very rare. The seller of my truck said someone called the next day saying he'd pay asking ($4500) for the front axle and t-case and he could keep the carcase! The M-H setup is coveted by extreme mudders who want 44" tires on their F-350's. Google 4x4 dump and you're lookin' at 20k to start and that's flatbed. The first thing I did was put Goodyear wranglers on it. They are similar in price to BFG's ($1600 ouch ) but last longer (30k mi rating) I've switched all my rigs over, and they look knobbier. The next thing I did (after a quick gravel yard stop) was to get the e-brake shoes from Napa and it's not as bad as you think. $54 for the shoes plus $14 core and I was under the truck. The only special things you need are Torx sockets for the driveline and a bench or mini grinder. I had to remove some metal from the shoe body to get the drum back on and it would've been nice to know that before I fully re-installed them. The real ##### was the return springs. Use needlenose pliers to remove them, and to replace, fit the springs into the shoes then pull the J-hooks back over the post using a loop of string trimmer line. The bad news on these rigs is that they do get 4-5 mpg loaded, maybe 8 empty. Also exhaust leaks are common. I'm all worried about plugs after reading this post. Does yours have rear disc? That's a huge plus. You can google Marmon & Herrington for some off-road sites that alternately bash and praise these trucks for more info. Good luck, I think it's worth putting some love in.

I guess my point is that it's not a collectors truck, it's a work 20YO big block gas burner work truck. 10K seems really high to me when you can get a decent diesel 50-55 WH Bucket truck for 5-8 grand more if you know where to look. Now add in the CA factor, and what I just wrote all goes out the window :)

Last edited:
My list of requirements for this truck were; 4x4, manual trans, diesel, dually, dump, affordable. I am a fan of the 7.3 and I almost didn't look at this one when I realized that 7.5 liter wasn't a typo. When I saw the front axle and the army troop carrier dump bed I realized I wouldn't find a comparable truck for less than 20k in my area without getting lucky at an auction- which is hard in CA. So I picked it up and went straight to the tireshop, and I noticed their 1 ton service truck was a gasser Chevy. I asked the owner why she opted for gas when she clearly bought the truck new? She raised a very good point: she didn't want to get hit with huge repair bills when things started to wear out. The local diesel shop charged $600 to replace the water pump on the 7.3, the A.C. condenser was about the same, and I seem to recall paying $1800 for fuel pump and injectors! Best guess on the cost of those repairs to a gas motor? I am NOT saying the gas motor is better, just that there are balancing factors, like most fleet and private diesels in my area are auto trans, which get hammered by the torque, and those puppies ain't cheap! I didn't even Know how stringent these CARB laws were until after I went gas, I'd be screwed if I had bought one of those 95's I looked at. A side note: this truck has the turning radius of a cab over!

Thanks Blade!!, like the info on the E-brake, I think I will have a go at it, need to get it done.

Love your truck, nice buy!

I have the dana 80 rear with disc's, thank goodness, hate drums....

That 99 7.3 would be shut down in 2018 or close to that....like was said earlyer, you could pull the motor and install a 2010 or newer diesel motor and be ok for awhile, or install a PM filter on truck for 20K, yes thats $20,000 and be legal for older diesel......10K is starting to sound like a Steal for my truck, Oh, and its paid off!!!! lol

Is this federal or only CA?

So you're telling me besides the broads, and pretty beaches, it sucks to be in CA?

YES! the trucks have no rust, so that's good too, but not much else. Driving out here is just like that scene in the Matrix. One accident and the whole place gets shut down. You can be 20 miles away from the accident and still get stuck in traffic. The other day I did 3 bids, total time at all 3 was around 45 minutes, took me over 5 hours.............

But then u go to the beach and remember why u came! Just wear dark sunglasses...............

That Socal baby. Worst traffic this side of the Rockies. Northern Cal isn't nearly as bad. We get good a avoiding such crap but every once in a while we're really hating life.

Great point with the Cali reference. That probably makes the difference right there.. Just so I understand this correctly.. Even a previously reg'd pre 2010 deez in Cali is a no go now?

In either 2013 or 2014, you will be able to file for a one year extension on any pre 1995 diesel 14,000gvw and up. After that one year, you're done. 1995-2009 diesels will slowly be be decommissioned in the same manner on a tiered system. By about 2022, all medium duty trucks in Kali will be 2010 or newer. It is also my understanding that if you go the retrofit route, you need to install a 2010 engine, electronics and particulate system. I do not believe a simple bolt on DPF will get you where you need to be.

An older diesel such as an IDI or 12 valve Cummins would probably clog up that filter in about 10 seconds flat anyways.:laugh:

In either 2013 or 2014, you will be able to file for a one year extension on any pre 1995 diesel 14,000gvw and up. After that one year, you're done. 1995-2009 diesels will slowly be be decommissioned in the same manner on a tiered system. By about 2022, all medium duty trucks in Kali will be 2010 or newer. It is also my understanding that if you go the retrofit route, you need to install a 2010 engine, electronics and particulate system. I do not believe a simple bolt on DPF will get you where you need to be.

An older diesel such as an IDI or 12 valve Cummins would probably clog up that filter in about 10 seconds flat anyways.:laugh:

Goose, you are rather well versed in Cal CARB laws for a Jersey guy. How is that?
One thing though, truck over 26,000 GVW need to be retrofitted now. 14k to 26K gvw truck start in 2015 and are retroactive by 21 years.
So in 2015 all pre-1994 trucks need a 2010 engine or newer, 2016 all 94-95, so on and so forth.
View attachment 284958

Goose, you are rather well versed in Cal CARB laws for a Jersey guy. How is that?
One thing though, truck over 26,000 GVW need to be retrofitted now. 14k to 26K gvw truck start in 2015 and are retroactive by 21 years.
So in 2015 all pre-1994 trucks need a 2010 engine or newer, 2016 all 94-95, so on and so forth.
View attachment 284958

That's a whole lotta BS... I know you said that other states are considering similar legislation, but the politicians here in MA would be tarred and feathered before any nonsense like that was ever passed..

View attachment 284958

I am a big fan of the 83-94 Ford diesels and a member of the oilburners.net forum. There is a member there that goes by Towcat who owns a towing/autobody operation in Kali. The back bone of his operation is a fleet of about 6 vintage Ford diesels. These trucks average about 250 miles per day and simply get the job done with the least amount of money AND the most reliability. His F-Superduties have logged and documented over 980,000 miles on one engine. These are seriously well built trucks and I would put them against any newer truck as far as cost per mile goes and overall reliability.

Enough of my rambling, Towcat has been keeping the oilburners.net community well informed on the CARB laws as they directly affect the core of his operation.

That's a whole lotta BS... I know you said that other states are considering similar legislation, but the politicians here in MA would be tarred and feathered before any nonsense like that was ever passed..

Are you figuring out that Cal. is pretty much nonsense Inc. I remember my old boss telling a prospective hire from Cal. that the only thing he ever saw come out of Cal. was hot rods and queers and that he didn't see any wheels on him.

Back