Extra wide production table for Supersplit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a chinese L186 style 10hp diesel like a Tomahawk or Sigma. I love how it runs but it has a blueish smoke that makes your eyes burn.

The boiler has been great for us, my biggest complaint is my inlet passage gets clogged over time, its hard to clean the clogged area and as a result have burned up a few fans. Pretty bummed about the warranty and difficulty to get parts but same as you I can fix most mechanical things. We are heating 2700sq ft and we never fill it for a 12 hour burn. I find it runs better with several smaller loads (3) of wood vs 1 load of wood for 24 hours. Ultimately what works for us is, I load it at 6am my wife loads it at 6pm. We burn almost exclusively white pine.

Ahhh, a yamnar clone! They're normally really good engines. I assume the oil level doesn't drop at all during running? If it's holding oil, then I would start by checking actual injection timing against spec. Is the diesel knock excessively sharp or soft? I presume there's plenty of compression of you try to pull start it? If it's not using oil, timing and compression are good, then I would replace the injector with a genuine yamnar nozzle (or whole injector) and have it pop tested by a diesel shop. That should clear it up. If pump was bad/low injection pressure, you would be having black smoke.

I haven't had any clogging issues of the air passages luckily, just leaks in the main firebox. I only burn oak/maple though so I don't know if thats helping the lack of clogging. I'm heating a 4100sqft house via forced air, dhw, and in floor in my 35x50 shop that is 34' tall and has 3 stories. Everything is as well insulated as practically possible, it's just a massive volume when all added up. When it's in the low twenties to high thirties, a full load will last me 12-20 hours. But singles and below, 6-7 hours tops. That's why I can't wait to upgrade to the G200 with a 17 cu/ft firebox vs my current 10cu/ft.

Post #14: uhmw table top
What not to do.....
I used self tapping screws to mount the plastic to the existing table.
BAD IDEA.
I have small debris collecting under the plastic and the screws are froze up tight.
Better idea would be to use a flathead machine screw and lock nuts.

Ok, I'd like a SS splitter. With a table. And a hitch. From what I read, used ones are scarce as hens teeth.
I'm tempted to buy a plain Jane one, and make my own table. From what I read here, the pattern is:
$25 wal mart splitting maul.
$65 fiskars maul.
$1000 box store hydraulic
$ 2000 fancy hydraulic.
$ 3370 Super Split, with big table, and hitch, and shipping.
$8500 nice hydraulic splitter, 4-5 second cycle time, 4 way wedge, loader. (Eastonmade)
From there, we go up to $15-25k processors.
I cut for several people. I'm somewhere between the box store splitter, and the SS.
My feeling is that the SS is a high tech, mildly underpriced, machine. Evidence is that China, and Vietnam cannot make it for less, AND be reliable, AND stand behind their product. If I'm not mistaken, 2 companies have tried, and failed. Maybe 3 companies.
Anyway, unless I manage to find a SS at auction, for a cheap price, it may be a yr or 2 before I get one.
(Shop like a hillbilly, relax, and wait til one comes along at the intersection of my money, and a low price!)
I'd even think that there's room for a poly coated after-market, fancy table, due to the need to slide logs around.
(Just another SS dreamer, in Arkansas)
Nate

Ok, I'd like a SS splitter. With a table. And a hitch....
Your post is exactly why I plan on taking my machine shop in a new business direction. I LOVE my SS, but there are as many things that I hate about it that would be easily fixed with some design changes. So in a few months when I finish the current large project, I'm going to start prototyping a splitter.

My planned specs are 30-32" max log length, 9-10" tall wedge, dual 175lb flywheels, launtop 10hp diesel, highway towable with torsion suspension axle, UHMW top on table, longer/wider table, and easily removeable log lift powered by a HD ip67 linear actuator. Target is $3995 out the door.

I'd think that auto parts, such as steering box, and a motor, could make a nice loader, for the SS. It's just "in me dreams", at this point.
I don't have a SS, but I do have a box store hydraulic one.
N

Your post is exactly why I plan on taking my machine shop in a new business direction. I LOVE my SS, but there are as many things that I hate about it that would be easily fixed with some design changes. So in a few months when I finish the current large project, I'm going to start prototyping a splitter.

My planned specs are 30-32" max log length, 9-10" tall wedge, dual 175lb flywheels, launtop 10hp diesel, highway towable with torsion suspension axle, and easily removeable log lift powered by a HD ip67 linear actuator. Target is $3995 out the door.

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and video of the splitter. I think there is a market for that type of splitter if you can build it for under four grand and make it stand up like a SS. You are going to need a fair amount of good run time on it to get folks to lay down four grand and not just buy a SS that they know will hold up.

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures and video of the splitter. I think there is a market for that type of splitter if you can build it for under four grand and make it stand up like a SS. You are going to need a fair amount of good run time on it to get folks to lay down four grand and not just buy a SS that they know will hold up.
I think here's a market as well, the SS was clearly designed to feed a fireplace, not feed a boiler with a 30"+ firebox. I'll be sure to put up a thread detailing the progress and become a supporting vendor once they are officially available for sale.

I burn about 22-25 full cord a winter, so I'll give it a good bit of testing and then maybe I'll drop it off to Sandhill Crane and let him test the living hell out of it. For a worst case scenario durability test, I could loan it to one buddy of mine, he's the king of breaking borrowed tools :laugh:.

Whitbread, keep in mind a lot of the newer stoves only take little wood so a 12 to 18" splitter would also be a good seller. Wouldn't need the big flywheels for it either so price point would be a little lower. Better to get a piece of both markets.
I've thought a bit about it and in my mind, there's no reason to compete with SuperSplit for the stove market. That's what their splitter works perfect for and I don't feel there would be much to gain from reinventing the wheel there. Where any SS falls short is feeding a boiler IMO. The splitter just isn't the size of a big Timberwolf, Iron&Oak, etc. A 24" round looks cartoonish on my SS and clearly was not the design intention for a "normal" working round size. I've modded my SS for my needs and it works very well, it's just definitely undersized for some of the bigger wood I get in to.

I've thought a bit about it and in my mind, there's no reason to compete with SuperSplit for the stove market. That's what their splitter works perfect for and I don't feel there would be much to gain from reinventing the wheel there. Where any SS falls short is feeding a boiler IMO. The splitter just isn't the size of a big Timberwolf, Iron&Oak, etc. A 24" round looks cartoonish on my SS and clearly was not the design intention for a "normal" working round size. I've modded my SS for my needs and it works very well, it's just definitely undersized for some of the bigger wood I get in to.
Same here. If I had to own just one splitter it would still be a SS. That said, I like the Bilke S3 for the smaller stuff and am looking for something for the bigger rounds.

Back