EXTREME precision falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murph- have you considered the position of your lanyard when taking those big tops? i.e. attaching to a center d-ring instead of the side d-rings. I have known two people to have been seriously injured when their lanyard pinned them to the tree.

Murph- have you considered the position of your lanyard when taking those big tops? i.e. attaching to a center d-ring instead of the side d-rings. I have known two people to have been seriously injured when their lanyard pinned them to the tree.

Exactly, splits suck but clipped to middle d at least your body is not crushed.

Ok Daniel just to be fair, you have proved you have good basic felling skills. I do agree you need to use middle d's and that your taking some un-necessary chances but your making it work 4 you. Upon looking at some footage the one in the road, please tell me you had traffic control on both ends of the work zone.

Ok Daniel just to be fair, you have proved you have good basic felling skills. I do agree you need to use middle d's and that your taking some un-necessary chances but your making it work 4 you. Upon looking at some footage the one in the road, please tell me you had traffic control on both ends of the work zone.

Do I really need to do that???? C'mon you gotta know better... funny.. someone was moaning about the cars in the background that should have been moved.. when they were there to block the entrance to the cul de sac..
I just lost it the other day.. spitting foam and all, when I said "stop traffic", and looked up 30 seconds later at someone waiting for me to start the cut before before he stopped traffic.. When its life and death, I usually don't leave it up to a person to stop traffic.. I have the road blocked... I just don't trust asshoole drivers (acting like one myself a good bit of the time)...

Do I really need to do that???? C'mon you gotta know better... funny.. someone was moaning about the cars in the background that should have been moved.. when they were there to block the entrance to the cul de sac..
I just lost it the other day.. spitting foam and all, when I said "stop traffic", and looked up 30 seconds later at someone waiting for me to start the cut before before he stopped traffic.. When its life and death, I usually don't leave it up to a person to stop traffic.. I have the road blocked... I just don't trust asshoole drivers (acting like one myself a good bit of the time)...

Ok barriers work we use the slow stop signs and if they run the stop, its on them. You get big tickets here for not observing work zone traffic control as a driver.
Of course signs cones etc. must be deployed to cya but if its marked and they go through the stop sign flagger then Murphys law bite em in the butt.

but if its marked and they go through the stop sign flagger then Murphys law bite em in the butt.

You really think so????? I don't want to find out... If its bad enough to get the lawyers involved, your asz is in the wind.. I really don't like working around traffic.. call me spoiled... When I have a tree coming down across the road, I'd rather have someone block the street with a truck, than stand there with a flag and hope they stop..

Last edited:
call me spoiled... When I have a tree coming down across the road,

I wouldnt call you spoiled for dropping a tree across a road............:dizzy: Lazy, un-professional & just plain stupid is what that is!!! you can make excuses or stories up for how you put down "big wood" fast, the fact is ANYONE with no care can drop a tree on the road or in a yard if they have enough room.

Thats why every plumber & his son thinks they can start a tree biz, you have a modest skill & a text book knowledge of felling a tree, however...........most of what we all have viewed is just reckless & the drops are of not more than a novice or 1st year apprentice level...........Far from extreme or precision!!! JMHO

LXT...........

I wouldnt call you spoiled for dropping a tree across a road............:dizzy: Lazy, un-professional & just plain stupid is what that is!!! you can make excuses or stories up for how you put down "big wood" fast, the fact is ANYONE with no care can drop a tree on the road or in a yard if they have enough room.

Thats why every plumber & his son thinks they can start a tree biz, you have a modest skill & a text book knowledge of felling a tree, however...........most of what we all have viewed is just reckless & the drops are of not more than a novice or 1st year apprentice level...........Far from extreme or precision!!! JMHO

LXT...........

And he knows this because look at the disclaimer at the beginning!Just call him Murphys Law.

You really think so????? I don't want to find out... If its bad enough to get the lawyers involved, your asz is in the wind.. I really don't like working around traffic.. call me spoiled... When I have a tree coming down across the road, I'd rather have someone block the street with a truck, than stand there with a flag and hope they stop..

Well Daniel we were flagging in the largest gated community in the country and most of these retirees come from up north and many brought with them an attitude.
They kept blowing by our stop sign flagger we wrote down the license plate number and called the police because one almost hit a workman. The drivers were issued tickets for running a stop sign which is why i like the stop slow signs as there is no way they can claim confusion! It would be great if detours were utilized but in my experience the infrastructure usually declines this request. I have had to work highways and busy city streets too much doing power line work and don't like it but know how to protect my workers and company from peril. Never fell many into a road but chipped and worked in them closing one lane and seen many stupid drivers.
The rule at the company three signs on highways both directions one 2000 foot one 1000 and one 500 then cones flaggers with stop signs and walkie talkies reflective vest on everyone on the ground. It was a pain but it worked.

What I find hardest to believe is the township maintenance department doesn't come find you and make you pay for ****** up the road? No way do trees that big falling on a thin secondary road not cause some sort of damage - especially when it can be avoided.

I don't have any problems with dropping things in the road, I don't have any problems dropping things as big as possible. My problems are things I don't understand, such as, cutting a notch 10 feet up, then cutting below the notch. In my mind cutting below the notch, would bring the tips down faster and causing the butt to bounce back. Like I said I don't know what it does. Also why didn't you just tie the shrubs back and cut it from the ground, instead of pinning yourself in a spot where you can't get out?

Also on the notch where you had to change saws to make a bigger notch, in my opinion, you were on the wrong side of the tree in the first place, I always find it easier to make the notch with the flat of the saw, against the tree.

I don't have any problems with dropping things in the road, I don't have any problems dropping things as big as possible. My problems are things I don't understand, such as, cutting a notch 10 feet up, then cutting below the notch. In my mind cutting below the notch, would bring the tips down faster and causing the butt to bounce back. Like I said I don't know what it does. Also why didn't you just tie the shrubs back and cut it from the ground, instead of pinning yourself in a spot where you can't get out?

Also on the notch where you had to change saws to make a bigger notch, in my opinion, you were on the wrong side of the tree in the first place, I always find it easier to make the notch with the flat of the saw, against the tree.

Because he has a bad case of show off!

Back